FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   off hour lounge options at NYP (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1883691-off-hour-lounge-options-nyp.html)

soxfanndc Dec 19, 2017 7:39 pm

off hour lounge options at NYP

I'm going to be at NYP from about 10PM until it's time to catch a 3:25AM NYP-WAS train. (this is for March '18) Are there any lounge options of any kind at that hour, at Penn Station? It doesn't matter if they are associated w/ Amtrak or not or if they are paid or not, just wondering about any options for a 5 hr wait?. Thanks for any info and for as much as we sometimes get caught up in our travel "stuff," I hope we can all wish the best for all those families affected by the derailment in Seattle. So sad. Thanks for any info..

dicksboat Dec 19, 2017 8:38 pm

The Amtrak waiting room for ticketed passengers has reasonable seating. The attendant is replaced by a Amtrak security person about 11 PM who checks for non-ticketed persons(homeless) in the room. If you fall asleep you might be awakened to have your ticket checked. I used to go for a walk about every half hour too stay awake. There are a few food options in the station open all night. Outside you have "the city that never sleeps".

hi55us Dec 21, 2017 1:23 pm

I'm pretty sure the NYP Lounge closes around 9/10:00, it's a shame they don't make it 24/7. The 24 hour waiting room on the upper level is your best option and a good way to stay away from the riff raf in NYP at that hour.

ne52 Dec 21, 2017 8:29 pm

I'd leave the station. That waiting area is a miserable way to spend 5+ hours. Options off the top of my head:
  • There's an AMC movie theater about a block away from Penn Station with late shows. There are more movie theaters closer to Times Square.
  • Nurse a beer at a bar. Depending on the night, there should be something quiet nearby. Brother Jimmy's is feet from the station (you can feel trains underneath) and usually not crowded if there isn't a game. Plenty of other quiet options nearby where you can sit unbothered for a few hours. More comfortable than the Amtrak waiting area and if you limit your spending, that's your paid lounge alternative
  • 5 hours is plenty to do some form of sightseeing and Penn is centrally located on the subway. You could easily do something in another part of town and make it back.
Other option if you're going to WAS is to just take a bus. They leave nearby at all hours and you'll be at Union Station before the 3:25 train even departs. The train is much more comfortable but I don't think nearly enough to justify waiting 5 hours for it.

hi55us Dec 22, 2017 9:32 am

Good idea @ne52 - the AMC on 34th Street is within sight of NYP and has many late showings, Brother Jimmy's is also really good food.

soxfanndc Dec 23, 2017 8:11 pm

thanks for the great suggestions! hadn't even considered the movies. I LOVE movies so I think that's what I'm gonna do. So I'll either
1) delay my trip into Manhattan from JFK and chill at a JFK lounge before heading into Manhattan to cut the wait a bit or
2) go to a nearby movie
If I do the movie, any ideas on luggage storage at NYP?? I'll have a rolloerboard carry-on and a briefcase. Thanks again for the great ideas and also, for reasons far too numerous to name (and bore you with) but I need to take the train. Thanks!

ambyr Dec 23, 2017 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by soxfanndc (Post 29209941)
If I do the movie, any ideas on luggage storage at NYP?? I'll have a rolloerboard carry-on and a briefcase. Thanks again for the great ideas and also, for reasons far too numerous to name (and bore you with) but I need to take the train. Thanks!

I believe the 67 is one of the few Northeast Regionals that has a baggage car. You should be able to just check your baggage when you arrive at NYP. (If the 67 no longer has a baggage car, you can still check your baggage, but it will arrive after you do when the Palmetto goes down in the morning.)

jackal Dec 26, 2017 12:50 am

Checking your bags should work as ambyr indicated, but if you prefer not to (or only want to check your rollaboard and want to store your briefcase or something), the most common suggestion is to use a hotel near the station and tip the bellhops for holding your bags. The Hotel Pennsylvania (of big-band-era Pennsylvania 65000 fame) is close by and seems amenable to luggage storage by train passengers. Amtrak may now be allowing bag storage at the checked baggage desk but I cannot recall the specifics about NYP and it would not at all surprise me if they do not offer that there. If they do, the fee should be something like $6 (annoying that they'll let you check a bag for free but won't let you store one for free, even though storing one involves much less employee handling than checking it, but whatever).

FWIW, I've seen a couple movies at that theater and it's a nice theater, though the IMAX screen up at the AMC Lincoln Square is much more impressive (largest in the world, last I checked). NYC really is the city that never sleeps, though, and even in the middle of the night, there's an endless array of activities, food, etc., and Manhattan is generally safe to walk around no matter the hour.

hi55us Dec 26, 2017 6:27 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 29215276)
Checking your bags should work as ambyr indicated, but if you prefer not to (or only want to check your rollaboard and want to store your briefcase or something), the most common suggestion is to use a hotel near the station and tip the bellhops for holding your bags. The Hotel Pennsylvania (of big-band-era Pennsylvania 65000 fame) is close by and seems amenable to luggage storage by train passengers. Amtrak may now be allowing bag storage at the checked baggage desk but I cannot recall the specifics about NYP and it would not at all surprise me if they do not offer that there. If they do, the fee should be something like $6 (annoying that they'll let you check a bag for free but won't let you store one for free, even though storing one involves much less employee handling than checking it, but whatever).

FWIW, I've seen a couple movies at that theater and it's a nice theater, though the IMAX screen up at the AMC Lincoln Square is much more impressive (largest in the world, last I checked). NYC really is the city that never sleeps, though, and even in the middle of the night, there's an endless array of activities, food, etc., and Manhattan is generally safe to walk around no matter the hour.

Ride 67/66 frequently, it still has a baggage car. Just took it last week.

Brighton Line Dec 26, 2017 7:58 am

This is the closest theater, some theaters with recliners (Usually 3d or IMAX) stadium seating others (was a Lowes that AMC bought) all seats are reserved. Standard 2D movie is $15.49 (welcome to NYC), 3D $19.69 IMAX $20.69
https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-th...34th-street-14

Often1 Dec 26, 2017 8:13 am

OP would not have access to the lounge with a NER ticket in any event. Even if open, it is a dismal place for 5 hours. The waiting room is just that, a waiting room. The sole benefit is that it is policed, so relatively safe.

But, as others note, NYC is a 24/7 city, so don't limit yourself to the movies. With five hours, you can head to many restaurants, bars, and the like and have an enjoyable time.

ne52 Dec 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Heard of this where someone's set up an Airbnb-type site for luggage storage. I'd try for checked bag or Hotel Pennsylvania if available but just another option in case they don't work:

www.vertoe.com
http://www.wheretraveler.com/new-yor...uggage-storage

There are a few stores that offer it regularly in the area but not that late at night.