Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Have you taken a ride on a "refreshed" Amtrak car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Hi - I'm a longtime member here who writes about travel.

Doing a story about Amtrak's refurbished cars, which they previewed for media today.

If you've been aboard a train that included a refreshed car, and you can talk on the record, thanks for messaging me.

All the best,
Michael
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:21 am

I rode in one on Tuesday. Can't say I have much to say about it, though. It was a train car. The fabric was different from the old train cars. Otherwise, from this rider's perspective, there was no difference.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I was in one on the inaugural Roanoke-to-DC service last month. My impressions are here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtr...t28998269.html
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I was pleasantly surprised by the refreshed cars on holiday Keystone trips. Much more comfortable, not sure how much of this is improvement rather than simply not being 20 year old seats. In addition to comfort, appearance also jumped considerably. The seats no longer look like someone shot and skinned my grandfather's couch for the covers.
jackal and NovaEngr like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
This fall I did the SW Chief - Chicago to LA and connecting to the Surfliner south to San Diego. My bedroom compartment on the Superliner car was clean, but in real need of a "refresh". Some surfaces were very worn and tattered looking.

Now, the Business Class car on the Surfliner to SD looked brand new. Seats, carpet, etc. Totally "refreshed". I have been on the Surfliner annually many times over the years, for business and leisure so really noticed the "refresh".
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by davesam12
This fall I did the SW Chief - Chicago to LA and connecting to the Surfliner south to San Diego. My bedroom compartment on the Superliner car was clean, but in real need of a "refresh". Some surfaces were very worn and tattered looking.

Now, the Business Class car on the Surfliner to SD looked brand new. Seats, carpet, etc. Totally "refreshed". I have been on the Surfliner annually many times over the years, for business and leisure so really noticed the "refresh".
Surfliner is paid for by the State of California so gets much more love than the SW Chief which is at the mercy of what the Federal Government gives it.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I’m on a refreshed NEC car right now(too probably too late for the OP). While the new leather seating surfaces are comfortable and look great, they literally did nothing to fix any problems. Still have broken tray tables and broken seat reclines. Some of the seat back pockets still look ratty. Interesting that they only went half way with this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by bitburgr
Interesting that they only went half way with this.
Alas, I'm not really surprised at all. It is actually more the norm for Amtrak to do that; no doubt at least in part driven by the ever constant battle for funding from the Fed.

As an example, several years ago Amtrak refurbished almost the entire Superliner ! sleeper fleet. Except that some cars got more in the way of cosmetic refurbishment than did other cars. The first cars through the program didn't get as much work done as the latter cars going through the program. Even worse is the fact that everything Amtrak did was strictly cosmetic. That which we the passenger see.

Yet everything that helps to keep us comfortable is still original and prone to failure. Which is to say that they didn't update the electrical systems in the cars, didn't update the AC/heating systems in the cars, didn't update the vacuum system that allows the toilets to flush; and so on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.