Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

PNW routes losing scenic stretch after Dec. 17th

Old Dec 14, 17, 11:23 am
Original Poster

If you travel the Amtrak Cascades between Seattle and Olympia or the same route on the Coast Starlight, be aware that as of Monday, the route will travel inland instead of along the Commencement Bay waterfront. Lots of folks are booking coach seats for one last peek at that route. I will certainly miss it!

On the other hand, it should improve reliability a lot. This area is prone to landslips and washouts during the rainy season. In fact, ironically, I missed out on this stretch of track the last time I took the CS from California northward, due to a landslip that blocked the tracks. We were bussed from Portland to Seattle...
Old Dec 18, 17, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
If you travel the Amtrak Cascades between Seattle and Olympia or the same route on the Coast Starlight, be aware that as of Monday, the route will travel inland instead of along the Commencement Bay waterfront. Lots of folks are booking coach seats for one last peek at that route. I will certainly miss it!

On the other hand, it should improve reliability a lot. This area is prone to landslips and washouts during the rainy season. In fact, ironically, I missed out on this stretch of track the last time I took the CS from California northward, due to a landslip that blocked the tracks. We were bussed from Portland to Seattle...
I wonder how the crash today will affect this. Will they take the new route out of service for awhile?
Old Dec 18, 17, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Unclear what they will do. Right now the next few Cascades runs are cancelled. No word if the Coast Starlight will run the old route or terminate early.

The 517 Cascades left Seattle, using the old route. Two earlier trains were cancelled entirely.

Last edited by flitcraft; Dec 18, 17 at 1:48 pm
Old Dec 18, 17, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL plt, HH dia, MR Plat, CC con, at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
O-live says 504 NB and 509 SB were cancelled with all the others running on the old route.

Search this Thread