weird ? about VERY early boarding

Old Nov 21, 17, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
weird ? about VERY early boarding

so I am flying into JFK and then need to get from NY to DC. Particulars are that I arrive JFK at 8:30PM and then need to get to DC. There is an Amtrak around 3:15AM the next morning. Someone posted in response to another post in another forum that Amtrak will let you board early (this would be 5 hours early) then I could rest on the train as it sits in the station. This would strike me as a bit unusual in a post-911 era - and I must admit, I'm not all that excited about "spending the night" on a regional train - but does anyone know if this is true? just trying to exercise all options as I decide on how to get from NY to DC at that hour. Thanks for any info.
Old Nov 21, 17, 7:03 am

No, you can't board the overnight Northeast Regional five hours early. It has nothing to do with security; the train originates in Boston, and at 10 pm it will still be in Massachusetts. It should reach New York at 2:30 a.m.; you can board then.
Old Nov 21, 17, 7:31 am

Programs: TrueBlue, AGR
You may be able to catch 177 (weekdays) departing NYP at 10:05PM or 169 (weekends) departing NYP at 11:05PM.

65/66/67 are definitely worth the Upgrade to Business (if still available) as you'll get 2x1 leather seating in the quieter, more private AmClub. These seats are more comfortable, and include foot rests and leg rests.
Old Nov 21, 17, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Another option might be to overnight at JFK and take an early AM JFK-DCA flight. Those fares run in the $125 range which compares favorably with Amtrak, especially after adding in local transportation and hassle. All depends on when you need to be in WAS.
Old Nov 21, 17, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
thanks to you all for such speedy and helpful replies. Unfortunately, I don't think that an 830PM int'l arrival into JFK will permit me to clear Customs then do ground transpo into Manhattan for a 10:05PM departure, even during non rush hour - I wish that wasn't true as that would be the perfect solution tho. Looks like I'll do a 1AM bus or so. not the absolute worst thing in the world but def not as comfy as the train. It'll only be for a few hours tho. Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 17, 10:20 am

Way before my time but what I think the other person confused it with was a train that would leave DC in the evening with sleeper cars. It arrived at NYP in the middle of the night and you were allowed to stay on board until you woke up. This would've been 20+ years ago and not helpful anyways in your situation.

The 3:15am train is a pretty miserable experience all around. In my shoes, I'd stay overnight near JFK or even consider just renting a car one-way if you have the energy. At that hour, you'll probably make better time than the train before you even factor transit to NYP and waiting. The buses do run all night if you go that route.
Old Nov 21, 17, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The old sleeper service ran from BOS and WAS and dropped / picked up sleeper cars at NYP in both directions. Passengers could board late evening at NYP and when the train arrived at WAS/BOS, around 6:30 AM, they were permitted to stay onboard until 8:00 AM. Not only did this save a night in a hotel, but it was relaxing and pleasant.
Old Nov 23, 17, 12:02 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by Sicariis View Post
You may be able to catch 177 (weekdays) departing NYP at 10:05PM or 169 (weekends) departing NYP at 11:05PM.

65/66/67 are definitely worth the Upgrade to Business (if still available) as you'll get 2x1 leather seating in the quieter, more private AmClub. These seats are more comfortable, and include foot rests and leg rests.
Is this still the case? Are those cars still used on 65/66/67? The last two times I bought the Business upgrade on those trains, I was disappointed that they used a regular business class car.

Also keep in mind that those cars are actually not as quiet as the business class "cabin" is right next to the cafe, being in the same car.
Old Dec 3, 17, 9:55 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Surely the Northeast Corridor line runs often enough that you can get a departure before 3:15? Is getting from JFK to Penn Station is the limiting factor? Or did you pick the 3:15 because it was cheapest?
Old Dec 3, 17, 8:21 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, Hhonors Gold, UA MileagePlus, Wyndham, La Quinta Returns, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
Surely the Northeast Corridor line runs often enough that you can get a departure before 3:15? Is getting from JFK to Penn Station is the limiting factor? Or did you pick the 3:15 because it was cheapest?
The last NEC train leaving NYP is at 10:05 PM. The next is 3:25 AM, which is the "red-eye"

To the OP. Train 67 is the one NEC train that offers checked bags. You can check your bag, catch a late night movie in Time Square or nearby and head back to the station.
Old Dec 4, 17, 10:02 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by saxman66 View Post
The last NEC train leaving NYP is at 10:05 PM. The next is 3:25 AM, which is the "red-eye"

To the OP. Train 67 is the one NEC train that offers checked bags. You can check your bag, catch a late night movie in Time Square or nearby and head back to the station.
Oh I didnít realize the regular daily service ended that early. Thatís unfortunate timing then.
Old Dec 4, 17, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The old sleeper service ran from BOS and WAS and dropped / picked up sleeper cars at NYP in both directions. Passengers could board late evening at NYP and when the train arrived at WAS/BOS, around 6:30 AM, they were permitted to stay onboard until 8:00 AM. Not only did this save a night in a hotel, but it was relaxing and pleasant.

I rode the sleeper in March '93 from NYP to PHL, when a 100 year blizzard hit the entire NE corridor. I was travelling from CHI to PHL, on the Lake Shore Limited to NYP, and then a Metroliner to PHL. The LSL was three hours late arriving into Albany, and management decided to turn the NYP section of the train there, and substitute a Turboliner for the trip to NYP in its place.

When we finally arrived in NYP, very little was moving other than the Night Owl, as it was called and a few commuter trains. However, the Washington sleeper was already spotted on a platform, and I was able to arrange a roomette. It was a great place to spend such an awful night on the road, but I slept soundly, and have no memory of the car being coupled to the train. I awoke around Princeton Junction as the weather began to clear, and arrived in PHL about an hour later., which was about 12 hours later than I had planned, but not too bad given the conditions.

Thanks for letting me indulge in some nostalgia.

Note: The NYP-WAS sleeper actually was designated as The Executive Sleeper, and carried a train number of 865 or 867, if I recall correctly.
Old Dec 8, 17, 12:22 pm

How long does it take to turn a long distance train like the northeast regional? As in, how quickly can the train be re-catered and prepared for the return service? I imagine the train may not be all that calming if people need to vacuum and restock galleys.
Old Dec 8, 17, 3:19 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by BrownStudent18 View Post
How long does it take to turn a long distance train like the northeast regional? As in, how quickly can the train be re-catered and prepared for the return service? I imagine the train may not be all that calming if people need to vacuum and restock galleys.
The Regional actually isn't a long-distance train; it's a corridor train with only a cafe. I don't know how long it takes to restock a cafe car, but I wouldn't think it's terribly long, and it is confined to one small space of one designated car, and the coaches wouldn't be affected.

Regardless, it's a moot point now, as no Amtrak train allows you to remain on board after arriving at the terminal station or board earlier than shortly before it's ready to depart its originating station. All the things mentioned upthread about staying onboard until the morning or whatever are no longer the case. When a long-distance Amtrak train arrives at its terminus, everyone gets off and the train is then often taken to the nearby coach yard for servicing (which often includes the train being broken apart and cars shuffled around for maintenance or put back together in a different consist for a different destination. Corridor trains are more often kept intact and simply turned, especially at endpoints that don't have coach yards, but everyone is still ordered off the train and no one is allowed to board until the crew arrives for its next departure.

Search this Thread