Wiki Posts
Search

Auto Train, Business or Coach?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Auto Train, Business or Coach?

Likely taking the auto train down from VA to FL this weekend. Business class is $200 and coach is $135, I assume J is worth the difference? A roomette is pushing $600.

Haven't signed up for GR yet, is there any status match program from a hotel/rental car company, referral bonus or special promo I should be aware of?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
I've done the Autotrain many times in Roomette and Bedroom.

Let's compare it to airline standards:
Coach == Coach
Business == Domestic First
Roomette == International Business
Bedroom == Larger version of Roomette, with a private toilet/shower (literally, the shower is over the toilet).

IMHO, Roomette is the minimum civilized way of doing it. Remember, the ride is like 16 hours. Consider it the same way you would consider an international redeye flight, and add in the fact that you would be expected to have a drive after you get where you are going.

For example: I couldn't imagine driving from DC to NYC, or Sanford to Miami after being on the equivalent of Airline Domestic FC.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by some dude
I've done the Autotrain many times in Roomette and Bedroom.

Let's compare it to airline standards:
Coach == Coach
Business == Domestic First
Roomette == International Business
Bedroom == Larger version of Roomette, with a private toilet/shower (literally, the shower is over the toilet).

IMHO, Roomette is the minimum civilized way of doing it. Remember, the ride is like 16 hours. Consider it the same way you would consider an international redeye flight, and add in the fact that you would be expected to have a drive after you get where you are going.

For example: I couldn't imagine driving from DC to NYC, or Sanford to Miami after being on the equivalent of Airline Domestic FC.
That makes no sense.

Amtrak's seat pitch/width are comparable to domestic First (36/23).
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by nerd
That makes no sense.

Amtrak's seat pitch/width are comparable to domestic First (36/23).
You are welcome to your opinion. In mine, there's a very big difference between spending 6 hours tops on a domestic flight, vs 16 hour redeye on an auto-train.

There is a reason why most international flights (8+ hours) have lie-flat business class seats, and most domestic flights do not.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Long-haul flights increasingly do have premium Y, which is akin to domestic F and fits with nerd's analogy. That said, Amtrak's business class hard product is virtually identical to coach on the overnight trains. I really hope RA is taking a look at the incremental revenue opportunities that a lay-flat-type seat would bring.
jackal and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by some dude
You are welcome to your opinion. In mine, there's a very big difference between spending 6 hours tops on a domestic flight, vs 16 hour redeye on an auto-train.
Not really an opinion of mine, just comparing the seat sizes.

And yes, there's a big difference between 6 hours travel time and 16 hours travel time. But that's partially because there's a 10 hour difference in travel time.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Roomette may well be worth $400 more than business. Whether business is worth $65 more than coach is dubious, but then $65 may not be that much to venture. Domestic first class air compared to coach is not analogous to Amtrak long distance business to coach. There is a significant difference between the air products, IMO, and only a small one between Amtrak's.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Save your $65 and book Coach or a Roomette, Business Class on nearly every Amtrak train is a waste of money (Except the 2-1 leather seats used on like the Empire Service).

Coach is just as big as a domestic first seat on an airline, don't plan on getting much sleep. Business gives you another 2-3 inches of legroom, that's about it.

The Roomette and above is the only option that includes a bed and I find I need a roomette to sleep at night, but the economics is tough. Frequently the roomette is available for a reasonable number of points, be sure to check out the signup offers currently on the Amtrak CC, you could easily get enough points for a roomette on the Auto Train.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by hi55us
Save your $65 and book Coach or a Roomette, Business Class on nearly every Amtrak train is a waste of money (Except the 2-1 leather seats used on like the Empire Service).
Downeaster and Vermonter too. I often book Business on the Downeaster because it's $9 more than coach and the single seat is nice.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: Amtrak
Originally Posted by diburning
Downeaster and Vermonter too. I often book Business on the Downeaster because it's $9 more than coach and the single seat is nice.
Plus all of the Missouri, Illinois, and Michigan state supported trains, and even the Hoosier.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
There are still that many of them out there? I thought they didn't have very many left, because I was slightly upset that they were gone from the red-eye Northeast Regional (65/66/67) and assumed that they simply didn't have enough.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Select
Just did the Auto Train down and back with a friend. Roomette on the way down, Bedroom on the way back. Will never do a roomette again with a second person. I now understand why the bedrooms cost that much more. The extra room and having your own toilet are definitely worth it on a trip that long. Could not fathom long distance in coach or business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.