Amtrak Northeast Corridor News

Old Oct 14, 17, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by octr202 View Post
Would love to know if they addressed the worst piece of customer-facing engineering though - the dreaded Amfleet "push up" restroom faucet!
Ah yes, the good ol' "push up with one finger/palm/back of your hand while washing your other hand" routine. Worse than those old airplane lav with those "push with two fingers to get warm water while washing your other hand" faucets (at least you push downwards)
Old Oct 16, 17, 6:59 am

Programs: Marriott LT Ti & Ambassador, UA Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by radiowell View Post
Ah yes, the good ol' "push up with one finger/palm/back of your hand while washing your other hand" routine. Worse than those old airplane lav with those "push with two fingers to get warm water while washing your other hand" faucets (at least you push downwards)
I'm in a refreshed Business Class car on 190 right now. The push up faucet remains.

Last edited by newbiztraveler; Oct 16, 17 at 5:12 pm
Old Oct 16, 17, 1:43 pm

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Such a missed opportunity.
Old Oct 31, 17, 5:18 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
I'm in a Business Class car right now. Nothing was done besides the reupholstering. Looking at the seat back where the tray table and footrest are, the back of the seat still has the old carpet-textured fabric, and the footrests are still the same. The seats are still the same. The floor tracks look like they haven't been touched in decades, and the power outlets don't look like they've been moved or replaced, so the seats definitely have not moved.
Old Oct 31, 17, 6:54 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler View Post
I was on a business class car on the Northeast Regional on Monday, which had the new seat cushions. It seemed like there were more seats than in the older cars.
I'm in a refurbished coach now (on the inaugural Roanoke-Boston Regional). Seat count is exactly the same: 72. I counted the seats in my car and the non-refurbished car immediately ahead of this one: 18 rows of 4 seats each.

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
I highly doubt that there are more seats. They simply did a quick cushion change. If they moved the seats closer together, they'd have to redo the entire interior since the reading lights and power outlets would become misaligned.
That's exactly what it looks like. No other refurbishments were done to the car at all. Bathrooms, bins, etc.--everything is exactly the same, except for the seats being reupholstered with pleather.

Certainly looks nice, will be interesting to find out how comfortable the cushions are. As long as they didn't mess with seat pitch should be good.

Amazing to think that these cars are now on their third interior replacement/refurbishment (at least?). There was the original, then the late 90's/early 00's rehab in conjunction with the Acela brand launch.

Would love to know if they addressed the worst piece of customer-facing engineering though - the dreaded Amfleet "push up" restroom faucet!
Seat pitch appears to be exactly the same--pitch being the measurement from one point on a seat to the same point on the next row of seats. However, actual leg/knee room appears to be slightly less, because the new seats are actually (opposite of what the airlines are doing now) thicker and more padded. I would actually say the new seats are more plush and comfortable than the older-style seats, at the cost of an inch or so of stomach/knee/leg room. (I say "stomach room" because it's most noticeable when trying to use a laptop.)

Bathrooms were not renovated, so the push-up faucet wasn't changed. I did notice on my trip yesterday on the Silver Star that some of the Amfleet II faucets are more like normal public restroom (push-down) faucets, so Amtrak has them in stock somewhere, should they ever decide to replace the push-up ones.

I'm in a Business Class car right now. Nothing was done besides the reupholstering. Looking at the seat back where the tray table and footrest are, the back of the seat still has the old carpet-textured fabric, and the footrests are still the same. The seats are still the same. The floor tracks look like they haven't been touched in decades, and the power outlets don't look like they've been moved or replaced, so the seats definitely have not moved.
My experience in coach is identical to yours.
Old Oct 31, 17, 10:41 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Oh, I forgot to mention, the business class cars on the Roanoke media special had tables on the ends, 2 seats of seats with tables in between. I don't think this is standard. I'm not sure if they installed those tables just for this train. The tables appeared to be brand new and made of rubbery plastic.
Old Nov 1, 17, 10:25 am

Oh, I forgot to mention, the business class cars on the Roanoke media special had tables on the ends, 2 seats of seats with tables in between. I don't think this is standard. I'm not sure if they installed those tables just for this train. The tables appeared to be brand new and made of rubbery plastic.
I hope that becomes permanent. Looks good and much more functional than just the seats facing each other. Thanks for the photos on the trip report
Old Jun 5, 18, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Ti & Ambassador, UA Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Uber Diamond
Over the past couple weeks in business class, I have seen the push down sinks, but with the sticker indicating that you should push up. I'm guessing they are being replaced.
octr202 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: