Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Longer use amtrak, am Exec level and have many points what do i do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: amtrak guest rewards

Trying to figure out what to do : I don't use amtrak anymore. I'm Amtrak executive with 20k points and a bunch of vouchers. few questions :
1. can I sell my vouchers for upgrades and dual companions
2. can i transfer my AGR points for something more useful like cash or air travel
3. Anything else I could do with this

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
You can transfer your points to a handful of transfer partners, say goodbye to the 3cpm redemption's though.

You can transfer to Hilton at 1:2, Choice at 1:3 and "Audience Rewards" at 1:1 (I think this is broadway show tickets).

https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/points/transfer

Choice is typically the most popular option, since hilton you would only be getting roughly 1 cent for each AGR point (I value Hilton points a 0.5cpp)
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Bear in mind your points are good for 3 full years after your last transaction of any kind. You say you "don't use Amtrak anymore" but it's possible that will change in a year or two. Alternatively, you could use your points for a sleeping car ticket or something like that. Obviously the vouchers are a different story in terms of expiration dates.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:06 pm

Similar boat here except I'm at least a year past having any status or heavy train travel. Mine continue to sit, kind of insurance if I need to buy a last minute ticket and don't want to pay a high fare cash.

1. Selling the vouchers is against the terms & conditions but there are always ones on ebay or craigslist. I've given a handful to relatives before expiration (they thought business class was a treat). The sales prices online weren't worth the effort and I held on to them too long to do so anyways so most of mine expired. Most went unused when I was taking the train anyways.

2. Yes. WebFlyer has a converter tool that tells you their value in other programs. As pointed out, the conversion rate is pretty poor.

3. You could book a ticket for someone else on points and sell it to them for cash (at a discount). People advertise this on Craigslist if you don't know anyone traveling. Again, it's against the T&C's but another option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.