Reliability of Acela NYP-WAS?

Old Jul 21, 17, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Reliability of Acela NYP-WAS?

We have to be in DC by about 9:45 on a Monday morning in August for a family event for which being late is unacceptable. Should we feel comfortable taking the 6:00am Acela from NY, scheduled to arrive 8:55am?
Old Jul 21, 17, 3:40 pm

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
We have to be in DC by about 9:45 on a Monday morning in August for a family event for which being late is unacceptable. Should we feel comfortable taking the 6:00am Acela from NY, scheduled to arrive 8:55am?
Yes.
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
Yes.
No caveats or qualifications?
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:18 pm

No caveats or qualifications?
None that can be foreseen or worth discussing at this point. If a standard delay due to some unforeseen circumstance cannot be absorbed then I would go the night before.
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
None that can be foreseen or worth discussing at this point. If a standard delay due to some unforeseen circumstance cannot be absorbed then I would go the night before.
That's what I'm trying to decide.

What's the longest delay you'd expect? Do they ever cancel?
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:33 pm

That's what I'm trying to decide.

What's the longest delay you'd expect? Do they ever cancel?
I'd expect no delay, that is a prime Monday morning business route. Beyond that I can't really say, but consider it so unlikely as to be 0.
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:37 pm

Ever is a long time. Yes, Acela trains have been canceled, and they have been late. It is unusual.

Visit ASMAD and decide for yourself. (If you had provided a train number, I would have formatted that URL for you. If you need help, just post.)
Old Jul 21, 17, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

The train number is 2103. The longest delay this year was a bit over 15 minutes according to the chart

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/ar...ize=3&smooth=0

but only 10 minutes according to

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/ar...t_mins=&dfon=1

That plus iadisgreat's posts give me a fair amount of confidence. I would like to understand the difference in results between the chart and list.

Presumably this train is more reliable than the route in general? https://www.amtrak.com/acela-express...lRouteOverview

Last edited by richarddd; Jul 21, 17 at 5:25 pm
Old Jul 21, 17, 7:35 pm

When I follow your links, I find the chart has 136 data points and the table has 24 results. (Those are the web site's terms. I don't know if they mean the same thing or not.) The table is for Mondays only.
Old Jul 22, 17, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Where in DC? I take this train frequently and arrival time varies from 8:50-9:10am. Generally there are no problems, but at times there can be severely reduced speeds and/or a delay in route.
Old Jul 22, 17, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
Where in DC? I take this train frequently and arrival time varies from 8:50-9:10am. Generally there are no problems, but at times there can be severely reduced speeds and/or a delay in route.
We have to be in Arlington National Cemetery at about 10:00-10:15am. The Metro from Union Station seems to take about 30 minutes. Is the metro faster than a cab at that time?
Old Jul 22, 17, 8:05 pm

We have to be in Arlington National Cemetery at about 10:00-10:15am. The Metro from Union Station seems to take about 30 minutes. Is the metro faster than a cab at that time?
Faster than a cab but Metro is much more likely to be your delay than the Acela. Also keep in mind that the Metro station is on the outer edge of the cemetery. Depending on where you're going it may take 15-20 mins to walk.

If it's an absolute can't-miss, there's a plethora of hotels in Rosslyn, Court House, and Pentagon City that would be a safer bet.
Old Jul 23, 17, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ne52 View Post
Faster than a cab but Metro is much more likely to be your delay than the Acela. Also keep in mind that the Metro station is on the outer edge of the cemetery. Depending on where you're going it may take 15-20 mins to walk.

If it's an absolute can't-miss, there's a plethora of hotels in Rosslyn, Court House, and Pentagon City that would be a safer bet.
We seem to be going to the Administration Building, which they link to a location very near the Metro.

A cab would be more reliable?

We're also thinking about arriving the day before, but the morning Acela seems extremely reliable, per this thread. Afternoon and evening flight have horrible on-time records (some later ones have a 15% cancellation rate) and three hours on a train plus staying overnight is a bit much.
Old Jul 23, 17, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
We seem to be going to the Administration Building, which they link to a location very near the Metro.

A cab would be more reliable?

We're also thinking about arriving the day before, but the morning Acela seems extremely reliable, per this thread. Afternoon and evening flight have horrible on-time records (some later ones have a 15% cancellation rate) and three hours on a train plus staying overnight is a bit much.
Honestly, If you an go the day before, I would strongly suggest that. With the work being done at NY Penn and any potential delay, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Search this Thread