Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New CEO: Richard Anderson (ex-CEO DL)

New CEO: Richard Anderson (ex-CEO DL)

Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
I got a one-way roomette SOB-HFY for 14,000 points. Did I get a good deal? (The cash fare was $399.00).
Since it used to cost 20,000 pts, I'd say yes.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ND76
I got a one-way roomette SOB-HFY for 14,000 points. Did I get a good deal? (The cash fare was $399.00).
$399/14,000 points is 2.85 cents per point.

For redemptions, Amtrak points are worth a fixed value (as set by Amtrak) of that amount (2.85 cents per point). This is a fixed value per point set by Amtrak, so there is no such thing as "a good deal on points." If you find a $399 fare, it'll be 14,000 points; if you find a $199 fare, it'll be 6,982 points; if you find a $99 fare, it'll be 3,473 points, etc. So if you had 14,000 points to spend, then redeeming them for your trip was absolutely the right thing to do--waiting for a different price would not have given you any advantage, since the value is fixed.

(FWIW, I tend to value Amtrak points as worth slightly less, about 2.4 cents per point, for the purposes of considering credit card reward earnings and other promo bonuses, after factoring in things like the fact that points can't be redeemed towards saver or affiliation discount fares and the fact that you don't earn any points on a trip booked as an award. But Amtrak's math assigns the fixed value of 2.85 cents per point for the purpose of calculating how many points a given fare will cost if you choose to pay with points instead of cash. Don't tell anyone at Amtrak, but it's a generous value that makes my Amtrak BofA card my go-to card for most of my spend, except where spend bonuses make other cards exceed 2.4% effective cashback.)
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by jackal
$399/14,000 points is 2.85 cents per point.

For redemptions, Amtrak points are worth a fixed value (as set by Amtrak) of that amount (2.85 cents per point). This is a fixed value per point set by Amtrak, so there is no such thing as "a good deal on points." If you find a $399 fare, it'll be 14,000 points; if you find a $199 fare, it'll be 6,982 points; if you find a $99 fare, it'll be 3,473 points, etc. So if you had 14,000 points to spend, then redeeming them for your trip was absolutely the right thing to do--waiting for a different price would not have given you any advantage, since the value is fixed.

(FWIW, I tend to value Amtrak points as worth slightly less, about 2.4 cents per point, for the purposes of considering credit card reward earnings and other promo bonuses, after factoring in things like the fact that points can't be redeemed towards saver or affiliation discount fares and the fact that you don't earn any points on a trip booked as an award. But Amtrak's math assigns the fixed value of 2.85 cents per point for the purpose of calculating how many points a given fare will cost if you choose to pay with points instead of cash. Don't tell anyone at Amtrak, but it's a generous value that makes my Amtrak BofA card my go-to card for most of my spend, except where spend bonuses make other cards exceed 2.4% effective cashback.)
At least on the Acela route, this is definitely false, and cents per point varies quite a bit.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof
At least on the Acela route, this is definitely false, and cents per point varies quite a bit.
Actually, I think you're right about Acela being an exception (point values are lower on that route), but since I haven't wasted money on Acela since ~2010ish, I wouldn't know.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Actually, I think you're right about Acela being an exception (point values are lower on that route), but since I haven't wasted money on Acela since ~2010ish, I wouldn't know.
They're not just consistently lower. They vary from trip to trip.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Also take into account the points rebate if you have the Amtrak CC which makes up the points you're not earning for me.
jackal likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:24 pm

has Anderson made any concrete changes since becoming CEO? I know he is sharing the responsibility for a little bit. I imagine it will take a little while for him to gain experience.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by BrownStudent18
has Anderson made any concrete changes since becoming CEO? I know he is sharing the responsibility for a little bit. I imagine it will take a little while for him to gain experience.
Besides the new seats haven't heard much.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I heard today they are not offering some form of discount any longer.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
I heard today they are not offering some form of discount any longer.
It's here: Amtrak Limiting/Ending Some Fare Discounts

I did wonder if that was his influence.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
It's here: Amtrak Limiting/Ending Some Fare Discounts

I did wonder if that was his influence.
Only the beginning?
screeton likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.