Old May 19, 2017, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Amtrak conductor shot by passenger

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...423095584.html
Old May 23, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
Starting a Go Fund Me account for "medical expenses"? The injured conductor was working; therefore, all expenses (Medical, Rehab, Medication, Wages) will be paid by Workers Compensation (or FELA). I never understand the push for donations when someone is covered by WC benefits. (stating this probably gives you the perception that I am cold and uncaring. Not so, I have great respect for First Responders and those injured needlessly like this gentleman; but, there is always a rush to provide donations for things that are already provided by Workers Compensation.)
Old May 25, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Policypeddler
Starting a Go Fund Me account for "medical expenses"? The injured conductor was working; therefore, all expenses (Medical, Rehab, Medication, Wages) will be paid by Workers Compensation (or FELA). I never understand the push for donations when someone is covered by WC benefits. (stating this probably gives you the perception that I am cold and uncaring. Not so, I have great respect for First Responders and those injured needlessly like this gentleman; but, there is always a rush to provide donations for things that are already provided by Workers Compensation.)
Former Workers Comp Claims Examiner here - likely a messy case with responsibility. They have a 3rd party involved (the shooter) and Amtrak's insurance company is likely trying to get as much money as possible out of the 3rd party before paying on the claim. In the meantime the blood hungry hospital is probably demanding payment from the family since they can't get the WC insurance company to pay right now. This case will likely take a while to work itself out.... they haven't even charged the shooter yet!
Old May 25, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hi55us
In the meantime the blood hungry hospital is probably demanding payment from the family since they can't get the WC insurance company to pay right now.

Don't Amtrak employees also have (regular) medical and hospital insurance? If so, wouldn't that cover the conductor's hospitalization? (The major medical insurer could then go after the workers' comp insurer for reimbursement.)
Old May 25, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by guv1976

Don't Amtrak employees also have (regular) medical and hospital insurance? If so, wouldn't that cover the conductor's hospitalization? (The major medical insurer could then go after the workers' comp insurer for reimbursement.)
Eh it's tough, unlikely the health insurer would be willing to chip in anything since it's a work related injury. Bottom line, I can see why the family might be facing some financial hardships.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.