Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time train rider

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

First time train rider

I am thinking to take my first amtrak (Southwest Chief) train ride to Chicago. I have almost every airline miles, is there any airline mile I can use?
Old May 7, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mak101
I am thinking to take my first amtrak (Southwest Chief) train ride to Chicago. I have almost every airline miles, is there any airline mile I can use?
Options for transferring points into AGR are very limited. A summary is here: https://amtrakguestrewards.com/points/transfer

Most are a fairly poor value. The one exception is SPG, which is a 1:1 transfer, and since AGR points are worth somewhere between 2.4 and 2.9 cents per point (depending on the type of redemption), that's actually not a bad use for SPG points.

Amtrak has a very limited partnership with United on a very few of its trains in the Newark market, but that does not extend to being able to earn or redeem for Amtrak travel, especially on a western long-distance train.

If you want to use points for the trip instead of money, probably the best way to get AGR points quickly is to sign up for the AGR credit card.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: I fly UA, drive Hertz and sleep around...
Originally Posted by jackal
Options for transferring points into AGR are very limited. A summary is here: https://amtrakguestrewards.com/points/transfer

Most are a fairly poor value. The one exception is SPG, which is a 1:1 transfer, and since AGR points are worth somewhere between 2.4 and 2.9 cents per point (depending on the type of redemption), that's actually not a bad use for SPG points.
FYI, SPG is having a 35% off sale on Starpoints through the end of June, lowering their price to @ 2.3 cents each. You can then transfer Starpoints to AGR at 1:1 ratio, a NICE discount!

If you're a Marriott Rewards member, you can - and should - link that account with Starwood. You can then easily transfer points from Marriott to SPG, then SPG to Amtrak.

Also, be sure to review your options for transferring any of your airline miles into those two programs, then transfer all into SPG and finally SPG to AGR.

Good luck!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: I fly UA, drive Hertz and sleep around...
P.S. While you'll certainly get a weath of info for maximizing travel options here on FT, I recommend you join the "Amtrak Fans" group on Facebook for tips specific to Amtrak services and experiences.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CateyBeth
FYI, SPG is having a 35% off sale on Starpoints through the end of June, lowering their price to @ 2.3 cents each. You can then transfer Starpoints to AGR at 1:1 ratio, a NICE discount!
My experience is that AGR points redeem for between 2.9 and 2.4 cents per point, depending on the underlying revenue fares available (value goes down slightly when Saver fares are available for purchase, since AGR points cannot be applied to Saver).

Buying points for 2.3 cents each and redeeming them for 2.4 cents each seems like a lot of hassle and inflexibility to save tiny amounts. If you're going to be redeeming for a $1,000 sleeper trip and do the math and find you can redeem for the higher end of that spectrum, it could be worth buying the points and redeeming them instead of paying outright, but it's not a massive savings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.