Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't Amtrak have changing tables in train bathrooms?

Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

Planes do, stations might, airports definitely do. So why don't Amtrak trains have changing tables in the train bathrooms? It's always struck me as annoying. I'd never want to change a baby on the sticky floor of the bathroom, however large the space is. Changing a baby on the carpeted floor space (if you have a mat) beteeen seats is a little better but not ideal. Changing a child on a seat (even with a mat) at eye level of other passengers just seems disgusting. But by not providing changing tables what options do Amtrak offer?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:41 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by salut0
Changing a child on a seat (even with a mat) at eye level of other passengers just seems disgusting.
I don't have an answer to your question, but on behalf of those of us who aren't enamored with all things baby, I send a million "thank you"s for your consideration of others with what I quoted above. And you are correct, it is disgusting.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by lo2e
I don't have an answer to your question, but on behalf of those of us who aren't enamored with all things baby, I send a million "thank you"s for your consideration of others with what I quoted above. And you are correct, it is disgusting.
Yes, which is why I have changed our child on a mat on the floor between two seat backs, by the wall with my body blocking the view from the aisle. The best option of a bad set of options!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I have seen a changing table at least once, but that might have been in a sleeping car.

It doesn't help the current situation, but I expect that cars manufactured or refurbished in the future will have changing tables. Nonetheless, I encourage to contact Amtrak voice your opinion. I also encourage you to contact your representatives in DC and encourage them to fund new cars.

And like lo2e, I thank you for your sensibilities.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
The simple answer is that the train cars were built before that idea became the norm. Amtrak's newest trains, the Acela's, have one in the bigger bathroom. But otherwise, all the other cars are simply older than the idea and have never been retrofitted. Some couldn't fit one even if they were so inclined to install one.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I'm pretty sure the regional equipment has one in the large bathrooms.... although I might be mistaken, will check tonight.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
The Talgo sets on the Cascades corridor have them.

Some of the downstairs Superliner bathrooms have them, but they're so comically small as to be useless for any baby older than six months.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
The Surfliner, San Joaquin and the Capitol Corridor trains have them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.