Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revised Amtrak Refund Policy 8/15/16

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Revised Amtrak Refund Policy 8/15/16

Effective August 15, Amtrak will implement a revised refund policy with 20% fees and longer required lead times to receive a full refund. As has been customary with Amtrak, the policy will apply to all reservations, including those made prior to the announced changes.

From Amtrak:
The Amtrak refund policy will change on August 15, 2016

As a result of the new policy, the Refund Fee will change from 10% to 20%. Reserved Coach or Acela Business will require cancellation 48 hours prior to departure for a full refund instead of the current 24 hours. Tour Passes will require cancellation at least two (2) days prior to scheduled departure of the initial trip for an 80 percent refund.

The new policy will affect both existing reservations already made and all new reservations as of August 15, 2016. The refund policy described below will be effective until the updated policy begins.
Amtrak Refund Policy
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
New Refund Policy

More "Less for More!" from Amtrak!

Following the Airlines Model is bad policy, but with Boardman on his farewell tour the beancounters and rats are in charge and the good employees are deserting the sinking ship,er Railroad!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Changing the purchase terms after buying something is pretty sketchy. Shouldn't even be legal.

I don't doubt they'll lose more revenue from people like me who may just rent a car (that doesn't even need to be paid in advance) than from what they'll gain in these fees.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta GM
Does anyone know if this changes the policy of getting a full refund of the purchase amount if you take an evoucher?

That is one of the biggest Amtrak benefits, in my opinion.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wording is ambiguous. If it does, I'll be switching back to DL Shuttle.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

On two different phone calls (about other matters), I asked if the new refund policy affected the 100% to evoucher. Each time, I was told there was no change if the customer chose the evoucher.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
This is ridiculous. Since the gas price is low, why would I ride Amtrack from PHL to WAS/NYP in the future?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by mediator
This is ridiculous. Since the gas price is low, why would I ride Amtrack from PHL to WAS/NYP in the future?
Because you're pretty sure of the date/time you want or you are OK with getting an eVoucher.

Because there's no place to park.

Because traffic is nuts.

Because you want to get work done.

etc.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by mediator
This is ridiculous. Since the gas price is low, why would I ride Amtrak from PHL to WAS/NYP in the future?
Traffic !!!!

Parking !!!!

Bob H
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by stalefish10
Does anyone know if this changes the policy of getting a full refund of the purchase amount if you take an evoucher?

That is one of the biggest Amtrak benefits, in my opinion.
I second this question for a definitive answer. I've never had trouble getting a 100% evoucher when canceling, but if that is changing so will my buying pattern.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by srodr
I second this question for a definitive answer. I've never had trouble getting a 100% evoucher when canceling, but if that is changing so will my buying pattern.
What would you accept as definitive on FlyerTalk?

If you want a definitive answer, perhaps you should call Amtrak.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I've also been told that this doesn't affect getting an evoucher.

Of course, before they implemented eticketing, does anyone else remember the era of "If you haven't had your ticket printed then it hasn't been issued and you can get a full refund?"
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:15 pm

I canceled trip yesterday, which was the 15th, and got an eVoucher for the full amount.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:19 pm

will be booking a ld trip in a few weeks go to fla in a room and will be using points can someone tell what the evouchers are . would like to know just in case I have to canel thank u
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Siena1965
will be booking a ld trip in a few weeks go to fla in a room and will be using points can someone tell what the evouchers are . would like to know just in case I have to canel thank u
If you're using points, you won't get an eVoucher if you cancel. You'll get your points back in your account minus 10%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.