Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Select Plus or Select Execs - How are you faring with TQP's?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold

I'm a long time Select Plus member and this is the first year in a long time where I do not think I will re-qualify for Select Plus due to the new dollar based system to earn TQP's. The loss of the 500 TQP on each Acela leg is hurting me.

It's about half way through the year and I've got about 5900 TQP's (4,000 from the Amtrak credit card). I'm not sure that I can spend another $4000+ (!) in Amtrak purchases in the 2nd half of this year to re-qualify.

How are you faring with your re-qualification for this year as compared to years past?

I hope there is some type of TQP promo to help with achieving Select Plus or Executive.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I am way ahead on TQPs compared to years past, between my AGR MasterCard and the greater points earning on long-haul Acela trips in paid first class.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm on track to retain S+ but just barely. I've burned points on about 12 NER trips this year, and that affects my TQP balance.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by fried.food.is.good
I'm a long time Select Plus member and this is the first year in a long time where I do not think I will re-qualify for Select Plus due to the new dollar based system to earn TQP's. The loss of the 500 TQP on each Acela leg is hurting me.

It's about half way through the year and I've got about 5900 TQP's (4,000 from the Amtrak credit card). I'm not sure that I can spend another $4000+ (!) in Amtrak purchases in the 2nd half of this year to re-qualify.

How are you faring with your re-qualification for this year as compared to years past?

I hope there is some type of TQP promo to help with achieving Select Plus or Executive.
If your about 4000 TQP short, then your needed spend is about $2000, or $1600 on Acela Business Class.

Acela travelers have not been hurt too badly by the earning change. The big hurt was inflicted those who made frequent, low-fare trips that used to earn the minimum 100 TQP each. If those trips cost $10 each, they have to travel five times to earn the same TQP's as they use to earn on one trip.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: AGR Select Exec, MR Plat, B6 Mosaic, UA Silver
I'm faring pretty well, but that's largely because last year I had a significant amount of NYP-BOS travel and I really banked those 500 TQP trips at $113 a pop. That's gone, but I've also done a lot more travel to WAS and BAL (which cost more) so I'm benefiting from the business class bonus.
Old May 20, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Most of my amtrak travel is on the Acela with 3-5 days notice for business, so despite losing the 500 min bonus on NYP to BOS or WAS (my primary routes), I've actually benefitted nicely from the business class bonus when my ticket is 200+ one way and am ahead on TQPs this year compared to the same time last year. I'm 300 TQPs away from renewing Select Plus and have several Amtrak trips coming up in June
Old May 26, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
How do you earn TQPs from credit card spend? Signed up for the AF Card, didn't realize you could earn TQPs... I'm getting burned by the short one-way tickets BOS-PVD that netted me the minimum before....
Old May 26, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by hi55us
How do you earn TQPs from credit card spend? Signed up for the AF Card, didn't realize you could earn TQPs... I'm getting burned by the short one-way tickets BOS-PVD that netted me the minimum before....
For the card with the annual fee, every 5k of spending = 1000 tqps, good for up to 4K tqps a year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.