Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Risk of Acela being >20 minutes late?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I'm taking the 12:03pm NYP-BOS Acela tomorrow and have an unexpectedly tight schedule upon arrival. If the train is more than 20 minutes late, I'll have problems.

Unfortunately the Amtrak Delays site is no longer working. Should I be concerned about the train being more than 20 minutes late, or should I probably be fine?

Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I'm taking the 12:03pm NYP-BOS Acela tomorrow and have an unexpectedly tight schedule upon arrival. If the train is more than 20 minutes late, I'll have problems.

Unfortunately the Amtrak Delays site is no longer working. Should I be concerned about the train being more than 20 minutes late, or should I probably be fine?

Thanks.
One never knows what can happen, but that train was early yesterday and the day before.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)

Thanks.
I keep track of Acela arrivals and departures. In March #2250 (12:03pm out of NYP) arrived BOS on schedule or early 50% of the time, and no trains arrived more than 10 minutes late. Looks like a pretty good bet.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm not sure statistics help you in a situation such as this. All it takes is one fault somewhere along the line and early becomes late. Has nothing to do with the time of day, the Acela or the weather.

It all depends on what happens if you are late. If it's a big deal, take the earlier train and wander around South Station a bit on arrival.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Unfortunately the Amtrak Delays site is no longer working.
I assume you mean http://amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com/ when you say Amtrak Delays site. Yes, it appears defunct.

Look at Amtrak Status Maps Archive Database (ASMAD).

Of course, you are not interested in how all the other trains perform, only the one that you are on. The recommendation that you take an earlier train and spend some time in South Station is spot on.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA GfL
My long experience with Amtrak's NEC and Acela leads me to say the following: Acelas are almost always on time, but if an Acela is late, it's going to be more than 20 minutes late. A late Acela usually results from some serious problem with the line--major snowfall, an accident, or a major electrical failure. In those sorts of scenarios, even booking a train an hour or two earlier might not help, because it can take hours to get things sorted out.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: AGR Select Exec, MR Plat, B6 Mosaic, UA Silver
I can second what was said above - the Acela is almost always on time or within 10 minutes, but when it's late it can be 60-90 minutes late.

Specifically, when I travel to Boston I usually take the 6:20 AM. I won't schedule a client meeting or appointment earlier than 11:30 if I absolutely have to be there. I've been delayed due to weather, a passenger strike, and power issues. If you absolutely have to be there you should allow at least an hour or more.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I have also experienced Acela delays due to mechanical trouble with the train. For example, the Acela trains have a levelling system that allows them to go very fast even on curves, and if that breaks, the maximum speed is much lower. But they are pretty rare.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
From experience, the 2 bottlenecks on the NEC seem to be the MetroNorth shared tracks and some work in the PA area. I was on an Acela from DC last month and I think the delay was about 40 minutes. Going to Boston, the worse was a 2 hr delay but in the past week, it looks like delays have been within 10 minutes.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody--this advice was great. I ended up taking an earlier train...and the train that I was originally on ended up being 20 minutes late! The meeting I had to go to got delayed anyhow, but thanks to the advice above, I avoided a lot of stress due to a delayed train (I would have been totally stressed out all the way from New Haven north) and had a very nice day in the Boston area, with spare time beforehand.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:13 pm

Glad it worked out! Although Amtrak owns most of the NE Corridor rail line and Acela has the highest priority on the line, there is a gap in the line at NY/CT (Metro North). There, Amtrak trains may not have the priority over commuter trains.

https://www.amtrak.com/acela-express...lRouteOverview
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by radiowell
Glad it worked out! Although Amtrak owns most of the NE Corridor rail line and Acela has the highest priority on the line, there is a gap in the line at NY/CT (Metro North). There, Amtrak trains may not have the priority over commuter trains.

https://www.amtrak.com/acela-express...lRouteOverview
Between NYP and NHV, Metro North trains have a much better on-time performance than Amtrak.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
There was some significant delay last Friday on Acela between Philadelphia and DC. I noticed one train was delayed more than 2 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.