Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Non-AGR Cards to Book With?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Good Non-AGR Cards to Book With?

To be totally blunt I've decided that, a possible status chase notwithstanding, I really don't have much use for AGR's "monopoly money" anymore (my reasons are discussed at length elsewhere). Since Amtrak codes as a "travel purchase" but also as a "passenger railroad" and the latter category does not often trigger a "travel" award, does anyone know of any cards which actually do post passenger railroads as an award category?

Edit: To be clear, what I'm looking at is the viability/impact converting one of my "premium" cards to a non-premium card (for the 5% rebate on award bookings and some other "goodies"), cancelling the other, and then making them "minimal use" cards. My best estimate is that the numbers won't quite work out on this for me (the additional point on AGR is still a non-zero proposition for me, and the free companion card and upgrade card likely do enough to offset the annual cost of the card) but it's something I want to at least work the numbers on.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Feb 1, 2016 at 1:43 am
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
3X points with Citi Premier!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Thanks for the advice; I'm giving that a hard look. Also getting a look is a card from my bank which...basically, once I tally up the bonuses that stack it gives me a rebate of 7.5% on the first $5000 of travel spend and 4.5% thereafter (it's 5% and 3% to start with, but due to my banking relationship, etc., that gets bumped by 50%). I need to confirm that it covers train travel (it'll probably still be a good card regardless), though if it doesn't the Citi card is probably going to win out.

Edit: Well, I applied for the card. Turns out I get bumped by 75%, not 50% (there was a "relationship tier" not on the pamphlet) so the bumps are 8.75% on the first $6000 and 5.25% thereafter. The AGR card still holds a highly nominal edge in terms of value on Amtrak spending with the Bank of America card...except for the fact that the other card also covers VIA (they had a MASSIVE number of MCCs covered under the 3%/5% bonuses, though I think some of those are assigned to specific hotels/airlines).

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Feb 9, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.