Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about the Empire Builder

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Quicksilver, Emerald Club
Smile Questions about the Empire Builder

Hello everyone. Let me start out by saying I have never taken Amtrak before. I'm flying to Chicago to catch the train. I'm actually only going to Seattle for the train experience. I hope someone can answer some questions I have.

Can I eat my meals in my roomette or do I have to eat in the dining car?
When taking a shower, is there room to store your clothes and change?
Is 3 hours enough time to get from Union Station back to O'Hare?

I appreciate any help you guys can give this novice train traveler.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
1. your car attendant will bring meals to your room if you ask. (They will usually offer, but I haven't availed myself of that service)
2. the shower room is on the lower floor and there's a small changing area with a small shelf, it's possible.
3. should take about an hour to get to o'hare from union station on the L - I would leave more than a 3 hour buffer between your train's scheduled arrival and your flight, however - the empire builder is not exactly known for wonderful on-time performance.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by acrollet
1. your car attendant will bring meals to your room if you ask. (They will usually offer, but I haven't availed myself of that service)
2. the shower room is on the lower floor and there's a small changing area with a small shelf, it's possible.
3. should take about an hour to get to o'hare from union station on the L - I would leave more than a 3 hour buffer between your train's scheduled arrival and your flight, however - the empire builder is not exactly known for wonderful on-time performance.
I rode # 8 to CHI from SEA last April in a bedroom, and agree with your responses to OP's first two questions. However on my travel date, the train was over four hours late arriving into CHI, and our car attendant mentioned that was pretty good performance for the train. Accordingly, my recommendation would be that the OP not book a flight out of ORD on his arrival date into CHI, given that the scheduled arrival time of the EB, which is already well padded, is 3:55 PM.

Also, Amtrak is continuing to not guarantee any same day connections, from the EB, to any long distance trains other than the CNO and LSL, which depart after 8:00 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

For what it's worth, I have made 54 trips on the Empire Builder.

Can I eat my meals in my roomette or do I have to eat in the dining car?
You can eat in your room. I recommend eating in the dining car. It is part of the experience of rail travel, and usually a good part. I hesitate to use the word never, but I cannot recall a meal in the dining car that I regretted to the point of having wished I had eaten in my room.

In the diner, you will almost certainly be seated with strangers. I have heard of people moving (after checking with the dining car staff) to a different table, so I believe it is possible. I have never done it.

If you eat in your room, your attendant will need to fetch your meal. You cannot get your own meal to go. (I have seen people get their desserts to go.)

When taking a shower, is there room to store your clothes and change?
Yes, barely. If you get a roomette in the transition sleeper, you will have access to a shower with a larger dressing room.

The Empire Builder's on-time performance has improved significantly in the past several months. According to some, it is because of the downturn in activity in the North Dakota oil fields. In any event, it's better. Nonetheless, I agree that planning on doing anything three hours from the Empire Builder's scheduled arrival time is an invitation to failure.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rickintul
There are at least two other option for catching a plane.

The arrival in Saint Paul is scheduled for about 0800. You could catch the light rail from in front of Saint Paul Union Depot to Minneapolis, and change to light rail to the airport. The light rail stops at both terminals. The Empire Builder could still be late, but it is scheduled to arrive in the morning. I do not recommend this because you would miss the Mississippi River.

You could catch a flight from Milwaukee. The Empire Builder is scheduled into Milwaukee at just after 1400. One of your options to get to the airport would be to take a Hiawatha train. (These stop at the airport, or at least at a station near the airport from which I understand there is a free shuttle to the airport. The Empire Builder does not stop at this station.) This is likely to be an unsatisfactory connection because it gets you to the airport at about 1800, and it depends on the Empire Builder being no more than 3.5 hours late into Milwaukee and it depends on the Hiawatha running on time. Probably the Empire Builder will be no more than 3.5 hours late into Milwaukee, and even more probably the Hiawatha will be on time, but then you're at the Milwaukee airport at 1800 (or 1830 by the time you catch the shuttle and get to the airport).

You can check the trains' on time performances at ASMAD. You need the station codes, which you can get from Amtrak.

Of course, you don't care if the train is on time 99% of the time if it is late the 1% when you need it to be on time. Unfortunately, that's a risk. Like SCEflyer, I would suggest spending the night in Chicago.

Note that Amtrak is guaranteeing the connection to the Capitol Limited, with a departure at 1840, but apparently is not guaranteeing the connection with the Cardinal, with a departure at 1745.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers everyone. I took the great advice from serpens and SCEflyer and changed my flight home from Chicago to the next day. I guess the trip would be pointless if I'm worrying the whole trip back to Chicago because we are late, since the train ride is the whole reason for the trip

And I'm going to eat at least one meal in the dining car, hopefully I'll feel comfortable enough to eat them all there.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:45 pm

Great advice - great trip

Wow - really great to see so much perfect advice, and a follow thru by the OP!

Please post a follow up report, or perhaps some Twitter pics as you make the trip. Interested to hear how that segment is doing these days!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the answers everyone. I took the great advice from serpens and SCEflyer and changed my flight home from Chicago to the next day. I guess the trip would be pointless if I'm worrying the whole trip back to Chicago because we are late, since the train ride is the whole reason for the trip

And I'm going to eat at least one meal in the dining car, hopefully I'll feel comfortable enough to eat them all there.
Give it a try. I've taken the train cross-country 3x by myself, and the first time I was in your shoes -- wondering if it would be awkward eating with strangers.

Eating in the diner is a good way to break up the day, and everyone's pretty friendly and it's easier to make chit-chat than you'd think.

And, if worse comes to worst, you can always just look out the window and check out the scenery.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I will try it! Too bad you won't be there lol.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:19 pm

... I have taken to riding the Empire Builder between Portland OR and Milwaukee regularly as in spite of the extra time involved, I find it far more convenient as I can bared the train in Portland and get off in Milwaukee without a connection in some out of the way hub. Yes getting sleeper accommodations is more expensive than "Medieval Torture Class" on the airlines (particularly WN which recently crammed even more uncomfortable seats in it's 737s), but all meal service and non alcoholic beverages are included including getting coffee juice and light breakfast service at your compartment door before main brekkie in the dining car.

The nice thing is I arrive at my destination relaxed and refreshed rather than irritated and frustrated.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:02 pm

I take the Builder pretty regularly, and am a regular rider of all Amtrak's various western LDs.

Most of the posters have hit the main points, you can get meals in your room if you want, ask your attendant. Although the communal seating is usually one of the most interesting parts of the trip. There is room in the shower room to change, the space is small but adequate. Just take your clothes in there with you, don't bring your suitcase in.

However, with regard to catching a flight. DO NOT ATTEMPT A FLIGHT CONNECTION THE SAME DAY AS ARRIVAL ON ANY LONG DISTANCE TRAIN. The Empire Builder's on time performance has greatly improved recently and the chances have improved from impossible to merely chancy. However, I would never make a same day connection from ANY long distance Amtrak train to a flight. I have been traveling on Amtrak since it began, have hundreds of thousands long distance miles under my belt and my experience tells me too many things can happen even on a train with the best on time performance records. Even a three or four hour late train, by no means uncommon on any route, can play havoc with your plans. You are not taking an average, you are taking a single train. A grade crossing accident by either your train or a freight ahead of will be more than enough to mess up your plans. Any number of things can happen over the course of two thousand miles. Save yourself a headache, book a layover and enjoy Chicago if the train is on time.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zephyr17
I take the Builder pretty regularly, and am a regular rider of all Amtrak's various western LDs.

Most of the posters have hit the main points, you can get meals in your room if you want, ask your attendant. Although the communal seating is usually one of the most interesting parts of the trip. There is room in the shower room to change, the space is small but adequate. Just take your clothes in there with you, don't bring your suitcase in.

However, with regard to catching a flight. DO NOT ATTEMPT A FLIGHT CONNECTION THE SAME DAY AS ARRIVAL ON ANY LONG DISTANCE TRAIN. The Empire Builder's on time performance has greatly improved recently and the chances have improved from impossible to merely chancy. However, I would never make a same day connection from ANY long distance Amtrak train to a flight. I have been traveling on Amtrak since it began, have hundreds of thousands long distance miles under my belt and my experience tells me too many things can happen even on a train with the best on time performance records. Even a three or four hour late train, by no means uncommon on any route, can play havoc with your plans. You are not taking an average, you are taking a single train. A grade crossing accident by either your train or a freight ahead of will be more than enough to mess up your plans. Any number of things can happen over the course of two thousand miles. Save yourself a headache, book a layover and enjoy Chicago if the train is on time.
Zeph, thanks for the info. I did change my flight out of ORD to the next day. I booked a room at the Hilton at the airport. Joined their program to get the free wifi. Looking forward to the trip. I've been on an overnight train from Paris to Avignon but never in the U.S. I'm pretty stoked for the trip. Just hope I get a good crew who will show me the ropes.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:59 pm

OP, I am something of a private person, but would never have qualms about going to the diner alone.

Last April, as noted previously I traveled SEA/CHI/NOL on the EB and CNO. I recall that his covered nine meals in total. During the trip I sat with students heading to Whitefish, a father and daughter heading to St. Paul, a college president going to CHI, and a married couple with business interests in Memphis and Jackson, MS, as well as others that I can't recall at the moment. In fact, the only meal that I took in my room was lunch, on a Sunday, between St. Paul & Chicago. I only did this because the list for the diner was so long, due to the high number of local travelers who boarded at St. Paul.

Last edited by SCEflyer; Jan 14, 2016 at 7:59 pm Reason: Punc.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Do they allow you to roam the train in order to explore? Can you go sit in the coach section if there are empty seats?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yes, you may roam the train. I often make a hike end to end.

No, you may not use a coach seat. I doubt if anything worse than being asked to leave would happen. Unless the train is crowded or you sat in coach for a long time, I wouldn't expect anything to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.