Wiki Posts
Search

New trains coming to NEC in 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
New trains coming to NEC in 2019

Cut and paste of an email I got from Amtrak announcing new trains being added to the NEC. Normally would be somewhat excited but this is for 2019! Seriously? I guess they needed some positive news to go along with the 15 year anniversary.

Dear Christian,

Lost amid the flurry of year-end activities was a significant occasion for Amtrak®: the 15th anniversary of Acela Express service on the Northeast Corridor (NEC). To give this milestone the attention it deserves, we've decided to throw an "Acelabration" through February that will include surprises on trains, in stations and elsewhere.

Travelers like you know that Acela Express is the smarter way to travel with superior comfort, upscale amenities and polished onboard service. Hourly departures during morning and afternoon rush hours and easy downtown-to-downtown connections translate to a more productive journey. Responding to your desire for greater flexibility in travel planning, we added a new Saturday roundtrip between New York and Boston last September.

Thank you for being among the nearly 43 million passengers who have ridden Acela Express since its launch. Your continued support has been integral to the success of high-speed rail in the U.S. and our goal of moving America where it wants to go, whether for business or leisure.

As part of our new Amtrak Guest Rewards® program, there are some great Acela-specific benefits that you can enjoy starting January 24. They include bonus points for all Acela trips—regardless of length of trip, class of service or city pair—and they count toward your tier status. Redemption for Acela travel will start at 4,000 points. Not a fan of blackout dates? Then you'll be happy to know that they and Acela time-of-day restrictions are being eliminated for redemption travel. Check AmtrakGuestRewards.com/RideOn for additional information.

Amtrak is also making investments that will position Acela Express service to meet the growing demand while also supporting the mobility and economic needs of the greater Northeast. We will soon announce a contract to acquire the most technologically advanced high-speed trainsets ever to operate in North America for the next generation of Acela Express service. Each trainset will have 40 percent more seats than those currently in use. There will also be 40 percent more trainsets, allowing us to increase the number of departures during peak hours. These new trainsets will provide a smoother ride and a host of other amenities that build upon the high quality of service that customers have come to expect. The first of the trainsets is expected to enter service in 2019.

On behalf of the entire Amtrak family, I wish you a happy and prosperous 2016, and we'll see you on board this year!
Sincerely,
Celebrating 15 years.
Joe Boardman
President and Chief Executive Officer
Celebrating 15 years.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I'm a bit confused by this commentary. Why shouldn't they announce this now? Putting new next-generation Acela trainsets into service isn't like going down to the local car dealer and walking out with a new car.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
The whole second generation Acela order is nothing new. It went to Alstom and was announced around mid last year.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by christianj
Cut and paste of an email I got from Amtrak announcing new trains being added to the NEC. Normally would be somewhat excited but this is for 2019! Seriously? I guess they needed some positive news to go along with the 15 year anniversary.

Dear Christian,

Lost amid the flurry of year-end activities was a significant occasion for Amtrak®: the 15th anniversary of Acela Express service on the Northeast Corridor (NEC). To give this milestone the attention it deserves, we've decided to throw an "Acelabration" through February that will include surprises on trains, in stations and elsewhere.

Travelers like you know that Acela Express is the smarter way to travel with superior comfort, upscale amenities and polished onboard service. Hourly departures during morning and afternoon rush hours and easy downtown-to-downtown connections translate to a more productive journey. Responding to your desire for greater flexibility in travel planning, we added a new Saturday roundtrip between New York and Boston last September.

Thank you for being among the nearly 43 million passengers who have ridden Acela Express since its launch. Your continued support has been integral to the success of high-speed rail in the U.S. and our goal of moving America where it wants to go, whether for business or leisure.

As part of our new Amtrak Guest Rewards® program, there are some great Acela-specific benefits that you can enjoy starting January 24. They include bonus points for all Acela trips—regardless of length of trip, class of service or city pair—and they count toward your tier status. Redemption for Acela travel will start at 4,000 points. Not a fan of blackout dates? Then you'll be happy to know that they and Acela time-of-day restrictions are being eliminated for redemption travel. Check AmtrakGuestRewards.com/RideOn for additional information.

Amtrak is also making investments that will position Acela Express service to meet the growing demand while also supporting the mobility and economic needs of the greater Northeast. We will soon announce a contract to acquire the most technologically advanced high-speed trainsets ever to operate in North America for the next generation of Acela Express service. Each trainset will have 40 percent more seats than those currently in use. There will also be 40 percent more trainsets, allowing us to increase the number of departures during peak hours. These new trainsets will provide a smoother ride and a host of other amenities that build upon the high quality of service that customers have come to expect. The first of the trainsets is expected to enter service in 2019.

On behalf of the entire Amtrak family, I wish you a happy and prosperous 2016, and we'll see you on board this year!
Sincerely,
Celebrating 15 years.
Joe Boardman
President and Chief Executive Officer
Celebrating 15 years.
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

In general train orders are a minimum 4 year process from order placement to the first train/car sets to enter revenue service. That goes for trolley systems, light rail systems, heavy rail systems and regional rail systems.

I thought I read somewhere that certain amtrak orders have been delayed which may also contribute to the 2019 date.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Sen. Chuck Schumer jumped the gun and tried to take credit for the train orders, but it turns out that his announcement in 2015 was premature (and not for his credit).

Amtrak has been working on next-generation HSR equipment for the NEC for a while. I believe that it's being coordinated with the California HSR project. Either way, it's a big deal and is certainly worth mentioning to the traveling public.

I find it surprising that Amtrak is already phasing out the Acela equipment after under 20 years, but I guess that the top-dollar service justifies the investment.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter

Amtrak has been working on next-generation HSR equipment for the NEC for a while. I believe that it's being coordinated with the California HSR project. Either way, it's a big deal and is certainly worth mentioning to the traveling public.

I find it surprising that Amtrak is already phasing out the Acela equipment after under 20 years, but I guess that the top-dollar service justifies the investment.

At one time it was being coordinated with the California HSR project, but due to different technical requirements between the two carriers they are now two separate equipment orders.

New Acela second generation trainsets are needed to meet NEC demand; the original idea of fabricating additional Acela cars to lengthen the original Acela trainsets was scrapped after that idea was deemed not cost effective.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Announced today: Avelia Liberty trainsets coming in 2021

Amtrak finally announced the Acela's replacement today: 28 "Avelia Liberty" trainsets from Alstom. Details from the fact sheet:

• Each trainset will have roughly one-third more passenger seats, while preserving the spacious, high-end comfort Acela customers expect and feature an improved boarding experience and more comfortable seating.

• Amtrak is ordering 28 trainsets, 40 percent more trainsets than its current high- speed fleet, to provide half-hourly Acela Express service between Washington, DC and New York City during peak hours, and hourly service between New York City and Boston.

• The trainset design, together with advanced track maintenance practices that Amtrak will be funding, will result in a smoother ride comparable to international high-speed train service.

• Each trainset will have modern amenities that will be upgradable as customer preferences evolve:
• Improved Wi-Fi access
• Personal outlets, USB ports and adjustable reading lights at every seat
• Enhanced food service car offering easy access and greater selection
• Modern interior design for increased comfort and productivity throughout the journey
• Exceed the ADA minimum accessibility requirements
The trains will top out at 160 mph initially but can hit 186 mph with track ugprades. They're also designed to tilt in curves; I hope this feature will actually work as designed, unlike the Acela implementation.

From the photos on Amtrak's gallery, seating will remain as it is today: two by two in business class, two by one in F. The seats look a little thinner (but not by airplane standards!), which may explain the higher passenger count.

Alstom's press release says the company has sold over 1,100 trains based on the underlying design so far.

Amtrak says testing should begin in 2019, with revenue service in 2021 and complete replacement of the current fleet in 2022. The $2.45 billion federal loan covering this will also pay for "significant station improvements at Washington Union Station, Moynihan Station New York, as well as safety, track capacity and ride quality improvements to the NEC," but I haven't seen any further details about those projects.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
This is great news, and the trains looks super cool!!!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Perhaps the year in the topic title should be changed to 2021 to match the current expectation?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by NovaEngr
Perhaps the year in the topic title should be changed to 2021 to match the current expectation?
Well, they are expected to start testing one in 2019.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by AlanB
Well, they are expected to start testing one in 2019.
You should work for the Amtrak PR department!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Meh. Sounds like a celebration of mediocrity. I don't care how old the trains look (inside or out) when stationary so much as I care whether I can walk down isle or work on my laptop when it's in motion.

Delay new trains by 10 or 20 years and do the hard thing by putting in dedicated high-speed rails.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:03 pm

does anyone what happened to all the new sleeping car being built they were to be in use in the beginning of 2015

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.