Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

I Screwed Up. 30k Points Stuck In Amtrak. Need Advice.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Hey all, so I made my first pretty big mistake as an award-redeemer...could use some help with my potential options.

So I have over 30k UR points. Mid October, myself and my SO are going on vacation to NYC for her birthday (flights and hotels courtesy of churning).

We're going to a broadway show that weekend, and I saw that Amtrak Guest Rewards can transfer into Broadway Audience Rewards Showpoints.

So I think hell yeah, do a little more looking into it, and it all looks legit. I find 2 tickets in the first 15 rows for 30k points. So, I transfer my 30k Chase UR into Amtrak....and then come to find out that Amtrak points can only be transferred to Broadway Audience Rewards if I have Amtrak SELECT status or above, which either requires approximately $2500 worth of spend on Amtrak travel, or $20k worth of spend on their credit card (neither of which are going to happen).

Am I screwed here? Is there any chance in hell UR will reverse that point transfer? Is there anyone out there interested in somehow swapping points?

I literally have no use for this Amtrak account other than this one purpose...and I now have 30k points sitting in it. If there is a Select member out there interested in helping out a lost soul, I'd do just about anything to make the transaction as painless and profitable as possible for both of us.

Thanks all.

Sincerely,

feeling like a newb.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:51 am

Unless you're reading different fine print than I am, the requirement is "Amtrak travel spend on the card of over $200," not $20,000. I realize this doesn't help you, but posting for clarity.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by ambyr
Unless you're reading different fine print than I am, the requirement is "Amtrak travel spend on the card of over $200," not $20,000. I realize this doesn't help you, but posting for clarity.
That's with the Chase card, and that is going away September 30. Unless someone already has the Chase card, the $200 Amtrak spend option is gone.

The new card has an overall $20,000 spend to open outbound transfers.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
30k Amtrak points just happens to be the exact amount needed for a one zone round-trip in sleeping accommodations, meals included. Depending on where you live, this could make for a nice long weekend getaway trip with your SO. Certainly the experience would last longer than a Broadway show.

[Note that you'd need to book your trip by the end of January for travel anytime through December 2016. In late January, the Amtrak redemption guidelines change and your 30k points would not necessarily get you a round trip one zone ticket.]

I realize my comment is moot if you don't live anywhere near a city with Amtrak service.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:49 pm

I sent you a PM - I may have a suggestion.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, M-Life Gold, Club Carlson Gold
PMed you as well
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:27 am

I am researching Amtrak rewards and chase points. I wanted to book Chicago - Syracuse sleep car 10/7-10/11, not available, I then changed to Jan, April, May and Aug 2016 for fun, and sleep car is not an option, there are only coach can be booked, does sleep car option ever available?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hdlz
I am researching Amtrak rewards and chase points. I wanted to book Chicago - Syracuse sleep car 10/7-10/11, not available, I then changed to Jan, April, May and Aug 2016 for fun, and sleep car is not an option, there are only coach can be booked, does sleep car option ever available?
Were you trying to book a sleeper online using points? Sleeper award travel can only be booked over the phone, and will get an error message when trying to book online.

As for availability, there is no separate sleeper award inventory. If you see sleeper accommodations available for revenue travel, you'll be able to secure one with points.

(That said, it does look like the 10/7 Lake Shore Ltd is sold out.)
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by nerd
Were you trying to book a sleeper online using points? Sleeper award travel can only be booked over the phone, and will get an error message when trying to book online.

As for availability, there is no separate sleeper award inventory. If you see sleeper accommodations available for revenue travel, you'll be able to secure one with points.

(That said, it does look like the 10/7 Lake Shore Ltd is sold out.)
so the way to book is to search the date, if sleeper option is sold out, then I am out of luck, but I tried several other dates in 2016, none of them are available. I have not even get to the point to book yet.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
so the way to book is to search the date, if sleeper option is sold out, then I am out of luck, but I tried several other dates in 2016, none of them are available. I have not even get to the point to book yet.
The Amsnag tool over a date range makes finding available bookings (paid or award) very easy. Clicking on a hyperlink for a specific train/date takes one directly to the Amtrak booking screen. Call AGR to book a sleeper award.

http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The Amsnag tool over a date range makes finding available bookings (paid or award) very easy. Clicking on a hyperlink for a specific train/date takes one directly to the Amtrak booking screen. Call AGR to book a sleeper award.

http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php
Thank you.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
You need to call Amtrak and not depend on the website because booking with points never seems to work for me online. YMMV. I have had zero problems booking sleeping car with bathroom for the two of us and did it before the changes.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It isn't/hasn't been possible to book sleeper awards online - hence my instruction to call to book.

The sleepers CHI-SYR are shown as sold out on October 7, 8, 9. It is available 10/10. October 12 is a reward blackout date.

Amsnag makes finding awards in the current point system very easy. Highly recommended for itineraries where travel dates are flexible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.