Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Introducing the next stop for Amtrak Guest Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Changes to Amtrak Guest Rewards in 2016

Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) underwent numerous changes beginning on January 24, 2016. This wiki attempts to provide a summary of those changes (and Amtrak's ongoing unannounced revisions of the rules). For additional details, see the Amtrak website.

Table of Contents
Earning Status
As in the past, members earn Tier Qualifying Points (TQP) for paid travel at the rate of 2 TQP per dollar. With the 2016 changes, however, AGR has eliminated
  • the 100 TQP minimum (so fares under $50 earn fewer TQP), and
  • the Acela "select city pairs" TQP minimums for Business class (formerly 500 TQP) and First class (formerly 750 TQP); see post #83
In addition, AGR now provides new class-of-service TQP bonuses: 25% for qualifying travel in Business class and 50% for qualifying travel in Acela First class. (As noted below, passengers will also earn redeemable AGR points in the same amount.)

The number of TQP required to earn status remains the same:
  • Select - 5,000 TQP
  • Select Plus - 10,000 TQP
  • Select Executive - 20,000 TQP
Benefits for each status level, including the Tier Bonus on cash fares (see below), remain the same.
Earning AGR Points Redeemable for Travel
Members continue to earn redeemable AGR points for paid travel (except as discussed below in this section) at the rate of 2 points per dollar, plus a new 25% point bonus for qualifying travel in Business class and 50% for qualifying travel in Acela First class. Sleeper-car tickets do not earn a bonus.

With the 2016 changes, however, AGR eliminates
  • the 100 point minimum (so fares under $50 earn fewer points), and
  • the Acela "select city pairs" minimums for Business class (previously 500 points) and First class (previously 750 points)
In addition to base points, members with status continue to earn Tier Bonus redeemable AGR points (i.e., not TQP) at the same level as in 2015:
  • Select - 25%
  • Select Plus - 50%
  • Select Executive - 100%
As was the case before, members do not earn points for Amtrak 7000-series Thruway services or the Canadian portion of joint Amtrak/VIA Rail Canada services.
Redeeming for Travel
For 2016, redemption rules have changed drastically. AGR has discontinued its fixed-point awards and zone system, transitioning instead to a revenue-based system. Under the new program, the points required for an award ticket--including multi-ride tickets and monthly passes--are, with some exceptions noted below, proportional to the cash price of the ticket.

In general, an AGR point is worth roughly 2.9 cents for non-Acela travel and 2.56 cents for Acela. (For example, 5,141 points are redeemable for a WAS-NYP regional one-way $149 ticket.) However, several new restrictions result in a lower yield for award redemptions:
  • Minimum award pricing: Regardless of the cash fare, a non-Acela award ticket costs a minimum of 800 AGR points. As a result, using AGR points for such tickets with a cash price under $24 (e.g., LNC-PHL or BWI-WAS) results in lower yields.

Acela award tickets cost a minimum of 4,000 points. Using AGR points for Acela tickets costing less than $103 results in lower yields.

• No redemption for Saver awards: Per AGR's FT representative, members cannot redeem points for tickets at the least-expensive Saver rate. For instance, even if a $52 Saver WAS-NYP cash fare is available, points can be used only to purchase tickets at the equivalent of an $86 Value fare or higher (resulting in a yield of 1.75 cents/point at best).

• Peak travel dates/times: As discussed below under "Blackout Dates," Amtrak has quietly introduced a "peak travel" penalty in which certain high-demand itineraries (not published in advance) will cost 50% or even 100% more points than would normally correspond to the available cash fare.

• Most discount fares inapplicable: Under the 2016 program, AGR points are redeemable for tickets based only on the Adult or Child price, and not at the equivalent of Senior, AAA, or other discounted fares. (See post #83.)

• As was the case before, members may not redeem points for Amtrak 7000-series Thruway services or the Canadian portion of joint Amtrak/VIA Rail Canada services.
Note: Reward tickets booked before 1/24/16 are subject to the new redemption policy if modified or canceled on or after that date.

Redemption options: With the 2016 changes, AGR members are able to redeem points for multi-ride tickets or monthly passes as well as standard one-way & round-trip tickets.

Sleeper-car travel: The number of points required for sleeper-car travel is calculated using the prevailing fare, which reflects the actual number of passengers occupying the room. Amtrak assesses a single accommodation charge for the room, plus one adult/child rail fare per occupant.

Auto Train travel: Members are able to redeem points for Auto Train travel using the same process as for other itineraries. Vehicle(s) are priced the same as other portions of the itinerary per standard Amtrak Auto Train policies. Priority Vehicle Offloading may not be redeemed using points.

Credit card rebate: Holders of either new Bank of America co-branded credit card (see below) receive a 5% points rebates on Amtrak award tickets. This is the same as the benefit offered by the recently discontinued Chase card.

Blackout dates eliminated: On the plus side, AGR will eliminate award redemption blackout dates and Acela time-of-day restrictions. When the 2016 changes were announced, AGR claimed that blackout dates were being eliminated. As of January 24, 2016, the AGR website still makes that claim. Unfortunately, it is a lie.

On January 24--the day the new program changes took effect--AGR Insider posted new information making clear that the blackout-date policy has not been abandoned:
you may find limited availability on peak travel dates or times and it is possible that not every seat will be available for redemption. When redeeming points for trips during peak travel dates and times, some itineraries may be available only to our Select Plus and Select Executive members.
Amtrak quietly added similar language to the website in early February 2016. The website also indicates that the point costs for "peak travel" dates and times may be increased in addition to any increase resulting resulting from a higher cash fare. To date, additional points costs of 50% and 100% have been observed on certain itineraries.

Under the old program rules, AGR published an advance list of blackout dates. AGR has provided no public information specifying the "peak travel dates or times" when general members are charged additional points or blacked out entirely from redeeming for travel.

Cancellation penalties: Canceling or modifying a standard ticket incurs an automatic 10% penalty. Doing so less than 24 hours in advance for non-sleeper tickets (or 14 days for sleeper-car travel) results in a "close-in" penalty of an additional 10% (i.e., a total penalty of 20%) for most travelers; however, this additional 10%/close-in penalty does not apply to Select Executive members.

No-shows result in 100% forfeiture for the missed segment, as well as cancellation and forfeiture for any later segments on the same itinerary. (As a result, it is less risky to book round-trip travel as two separate one-way tickets and, where possible, to book passengers individually rather than on a single shared ticket.)

For multiple-segment tickets, you can cancel the remainder even after travel begins. Thus, on a round-trip ticket you can cancel the return leg even if you have already begun the outbound leg.
CAUTION: The new policy is worded to imply that reservation "modification" and "cancellation" are treated differently. A "modification" ostensibly triggers a penalty only of "any fare difference returned to member," implying that changing to a more expensive fare should involve no penalty and changing to a less expensive fare should be subject to a penalty only on the refunded points difference.

Unfortunately, there are now multiple reports that there is no difference in practice: AGR is treating any change as a full cancellation and rebooking, and penalizing accordingly. This includes asking to be rebooked in a different room on the same train (at the same price), changing dates, or altering routing. It is unclear how the new policy will be applied to travel affected by service disruptions such as weather-related train cancellations.
For complete details on the 2016 change rules, including the special rules for multi-ride tickets and monthly passes, see the AGR website.

Points & cash redemption: AGR has indicated that a points+cash redemption option will be introduced in 2016. No details are available, and it is unclear how this will work with respect to earning TQP and redeemable points.
Points Expiration
AGR altered its expiration policy, which previously required paid travel once every 36 months. Effective August 27, 2015, any points-earning or redemption activity will reset the 36-month clock. Effective April 2019, points expire after 24 months of inactivity.
As today, AGR MasterCard cardholders' points will not expire as long as their credit card accounts are open. AGR has moved its co-branded credit card relationship to Bank of America, which now offers two different versions of the card, including one with no annual fee. All Chase AGR MasterCards were converted to Chase Freedom cards on September 30, 2015.
Post-Rollout Issues/Unknowns
  • Class-of-service bonuses have been posting initially as non-TQPs, although subsequent data points suggest there is currently a delay of ~12 days in proper crediting.
  • Agents have claimed that any change incurs the 10/20% penalty (up to and including asking for a changed room assignment) on the full value of the ticket, rather than just anything involving a reduction in price being penalized 10/20% on the changed portion

It remains unclear whether these are merely IT errors or unannounced program devaluations, particularly as in some cases the contradict explicitly stated terms and conditions.
Print Wikipost

Introducing the next stop for Amtrak Guest Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Amtrak
Originally Posted by AlanB
If ARROW were more modern, then it would have no problems with searching out all reservations with your AGR number or mine, etc. I guess the issue isn't so much that ARROW doesn't store your AGR number, but rather it doesn't key on that field and you can't search for every reservation with X AGR number.
Ah! I think I got this part at least. I wasn't asking it to retrieve reservations based on an AGR number, simply "give me all my reservations, regardless of the source". It suddenly dawned on me that the more basic problem might be that there isn't a single customer ID across the front ends that gets stored in Arrow; and public online retrieval by name would be a no-no.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
Although I like long-distance train travel, it's hard for me to justify paying a high fare if I'm not assured that excellent customer service will be provided. Food needs to be fresh, inspired, and varied. Equipment needs to be properly maintained. I would consider paying the fare for VIA's new high-priced Prestige service on the Canadian because they have an excellent track record in these areas, and the product sounds exciting. I would book Indiana's Hoosier State train with its distinctive food offerings and dome car. And I've paid thousands to travel aboard privately-owned rail cars on charter trains in the U.S. But the prospect of coughing up $500 to $1,000 for a single one-way trip on the scenic Zephyr or Starlight trains does not appeal to me. Their food offerings have been standardized and downgraded in the past year, you can't request a room on a specific side of the car (because Amtrak has never bothered to marshal them in a consistent direction), and you don't know what to expect from on-board staff. On an AGR redemption, these things may be tolerable, but on a paid ticket? I don't think so.
Absolutely NAILED it!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, BOA Travel Visa,
Originally Posted by BBarber
Absolutely NAILED it!
Your 100% correct. The things we tolerated on a points redemption trip I would NEVER tolerate when paying the high sleeper fares. On my last trip two of the reading lamps were not working, the car was warm, AC not working 100%, and on board service was sub par. This even goes for redemptions now that the sleeping cars have increased 70-80% in points.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: Amtrak
From the redemption guidelines at the top of the thread:

Sleeper-car travel: The number of points required for sleeper-car travel will be calculated using the prevailing fare, which would reflect the actual number of passengers occupying the room. Amtrak assesses a single accommodation charge for the room, plus one adult/child rail fare per occupant.
Would it be fair to say that 2nd person in the room could use their points to pay for their rail fare? The answer is no under the current system. If the second traveler wants to contribute, they have to sell their points to the first traveler for a fee. But currently the second person goes free, but no longer.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
As a Midwest resident in Chicago, I don't like it. I canceled the chase credit card and will pay it off. I'll find an airline credit card and focus on international travel. I am not clear if there is a 25% bonus on Lincoln service business class. No bonus for sleepers is also a fail. I really lost interest in amtrak guest rewards right now.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
A question that I don't know for sure with the program: Do the class-of-service bonuses boost the relevant status bonuses (and, if relevant, Double Days and whatnot)? To explain:
If I buy a $250 First Class ticket on the Acela (I'm Select Executive), would I get earning set #1:
Base earning: 500 points ($250*2)
Class of service bonus: 250 points (500 points*50%)
Status bonus: 750 points (500 base points plus 250 class of service points*100%)
Total from the spend (before any other bonuses/CC spend): 1500 points

Or earning set #2:
Base earning: 500 points ($250*2)
Class of service bonus: 250 points (500 points*50%)
Status bonus: 500 points (base earning*100%)
Total from the spend: 1250 points
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
So it's confirmed the chase card ends on 9/30.

I think one of the reasons sleepers should get bonuses is because how much more expensive the redemption for them has become. If you're actually paying for a sleeper, you better damn get a good number of points on that since redeeming for a sleeper is now 2-3x the old cost.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: AGR Select+, Hilton Gold, Luv SWA, wish their points wud transfer to Amtrak.....
AGR Insider? 2nd Person in Sleeper use THEIR Points?

Originally Posted by jobtraklite

Would it be fair to say that 2nd person in the room could use their points to pay for their rail fare? The answer is no under the current system. If the second traveler wants to contribute, they have to sell their points to the first traveler for a fee. But currently the second person goes free, but no longer.
\

This seems to be a fair request, especially since the sleeper tix earn no bonus...

I truly would like to see an explanation on the "Why" that Amtrak chose not to offer sleeper Pax a bonus, similar to BC, or Acela travel.

We might not like the answer, but at least we could understand it......
Old Sep 15, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
Originally Posted by rrdude
\

This seems to be a fair request, especially since the sleeper tix earn no bonus...

I truly would like to see an explanation on the "Why" that Amtrak chose not to offer sleeper Pax a bonus, similar to BC, or Acela travel.

We might not like the answer, but at least we could understand it......
This is an excellent question that had been asked several times on various Forums! Paging AGR Insider! Please tell us who made this unfair and dumb decision so that those who pay the most (LD Travelers and those who live in Flyover Country,))get no Bonus while the NEC is favored???
Thank you!!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:06 am
Company Representative - Amtrak
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Originally Posted by jobtraklite

Amtrak sleeping car tickets always have a single accommodation charge per room, plus a rail fare per person. The accommodation charge and at least one rail fare must come from a single person's account. Additional passengers' rail fares could come from those passengers' accounts separately, but you would need to do this with an Amtrak agent as the self-service system won't support the splitting.

Anthony
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AGR Select+, Hilton Gold, Luv SWA, wish their points wud transfer to Amtrak.....
Smile

Originally Posted by AGR Insider
Amtrak sleeping car tickets always have a single accommodation charge per room, plus a rail fare per person. The accommodation charge and at least one rail fare must come from a single person's account. Additional passengers' rail fares could come from those passengers' accounts separately, but you would need to do this with an Amtrak agent as the self-service system won't support the splitting.

Anthony
Thanks for that clarification. Perhaps some verbiage on the AGR redemption guidelines web page, at some point in the future, would also be helpful.

Now, as to the "WHY" Amtrak AGR (or Marketing Dept) elected NOT to offer any bonus, to those who chose to pay the premium sleeper fare............
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:27 am

Can sleeper cars be booked now for travel after 1/24?

For example, can I book, before 1/24/16, a roomette, 2 zones, for 20,000 points, for travel after 1//24/16?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Susan4
For example, can I book, before 1/24/16, a roomette, 2 zones, for 20,000 points, for travel after 1//24/16?
Yes.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:52 am

On the same token, why are saver fares and "everyday" discounts (NARP, AAA, Student Advantage, Veteran Advantage, and senior citizen fares) not eligible for use on a redemption award? I can understand it may not be practical to include the smaller promotions (such as some of the special fares to certain events in California, the Train Days promo, etc.) but if I can pull it up in a normal Amtrak.com search from the homepage/when going through the purchasing process, why can't they be used for AGR redemptions?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:05 pm

Before transferring any more points from my Chase account to AGR can anyone tell me roughly how many points will be need in 2016 for a one way Boston to Tucson in a roomette( 2 seniors) that is currently priced $1400 but only 35,000 points ( 3 zones).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.