Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

California Zephyr 13 hours late......compensation?

Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler

My wife and I paid for the California Zephyr Roomette with 20K GR Points. Traveled 7-15-15 and were 3 hours late departing CHI.

Awoke next morning on EAST side of Nebraska. Arrived DEN late in the day and only had about 2 hours of daylight to see the Rockies.....bummer. On 2nd day the toilets in our car broke. Numerous stops to repair train. Onece stopped for 1hr 20min because engineer timed out and replacement engineer was late. Surly diner staff......arrived EMY 4:45am, 13 hours late. Had to cancel my hotel in EMY area.

Waited in EMY station from 4:45am until 8:20am for Coast Starlight to LAX. It was 1 hr 15min late. Bummer! Paid $213 for this segment.

After an overnight in LA, we took Amtrak 572 LAX to San Diego. It was 32min late departing. Paid $63 for this segment.

Trip was a mess with almost no view of Rockies and terrible experience onboard. I asked Amtrak for full refund of 20,000 points and $276.

What compensation should I expect?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:05 pm

Our family of 8 had almost the exact same thing happened to us. 13 hours late on the Zephyr from Chicago to Denver.

We ended up with $1100 in vouchers.

http://www.pointswithacrew.com/amtra...amtrak-delays/

You're not going to get any points back and the voucher amount depends on how the guy you talk to on the phone is feeling...
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Policypeddler
My wife and I paid for the California Zephyr Roomette with 20K GR Points. Traveled 7-15-15 and were 3 hours late departing CHI.

Awoke next morning on EAST side of Nebraska. Arrived DEN late in the day and only had about 2 hours of daylight to see the Rockies.....bummer. On 2nd day the toilets in our car broke. Numerous stops to repair train. Onece stopped for 1hr 20min because engineer timed out and replacement engineer was late. Surly diner staff......arrived EMY 4:45am, 13 hours late. Had to cancel my hotel in EMY area.

Waited in EMY station from 4:45am until 8:20am for Coast Starlight to LAX. It was 1 hr 15min late. Bummer! Paid $213 for this segment.

After an overnight in LA, we took Amtrak 572 LAX to San Diego. It was 32min late departing. Paid $63 for this segment.

Trip was a mess with almost no view of Rockies and terrible experience onboard. I asked Amtrak for full refund of 20,000 points and $276.

What compensation should I expect?
Seeking a full refund for the trip is probably unrealistic, and may in fact be considered to be overkill, by the individual who reviews your request.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thirteen hours late, and toilets being out of commission for a lengthy period - those are worthy of acknowledgment and compensation. 75 mins late and 32 mins late - that's par for the course - Amtrak on a good day. Adding them, IMHO, actually diminishes the case for compensation.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by regoarrarr
Our family of 8 had almost the exact same thing happened to us. 13 hours late on the Zephyr from Chicago to Denver.

You're not going to get any points back and the voucher amount depends on how the guy you talk to on the phone is feeling...
Sadly that I feel is true
94 1 hour late I got a $90 voucher
94 2 hours late I got a $30 voucher...
Hmm...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
After several weeks, I received a letter from Amtrak. They gave me a $250 voucher for future travel saying the CZ was paid with points and they do NOT refund points.
They then returned my full fare ($276) for the EMY to LAX and LAX to San Diego via credit to my VISA card.
Better than I expected.
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
About a year and a half ago I was on the SW Chief and we were 11 hours late into Chicago. They called me about 3 or 5 days after and gave me a refund of the rail fair portion (not the sleeper upgrade) of the trip. I think it was a voucher but might have been a refund.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.