Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Beginning September 12, 2015, two new Amtrak-branded credit cards are available through Bank of America:
  • World MasterCard (20K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; $79 AF, not waived)
  • Platinum MasterCard (12K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; no AF)

Both cards offer the following benefits:
  • Earn 1 AGR point for non-Amtrak purchases
  • Earn a bonus for Amtrak ticket and on-board purchases
    • World MC earns a total of 3 AGR pts/$
    • Platinum MC earns 2 AGR pts/$
  • Receive a 5% points rebate on award redemptions for Amtrak travel
  • No forex fee on purchases outside the US
  • Your AGR points will never expire as long as you hold either card

The World MasterCard offers these additional benefits:
  • Earn 2 AGR pts/$ on non-Amtrak travel purchases
    • Per the T&C, this includes airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, resorts, and steamship/cruise lines. In cases where the merchant of record is not Amtrak, this 2pts/$ category also includes travel agencies, passenger railways, and commuter railways. (The last two were originally excluded, but are included as of 2021 or possibly earlier.)
  • Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year
    • Purchases are credited for the year of the statement on which they are billed. For an account that closes on the 20th of each month, purchases after Dec. 20 will count in the following year.
  • On account opening, receive a single-day pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges
    • Per T&C, "ClubAcela pass valid for bearer and one guest, or bearer's spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21. No same-day ticket required for use."
  • On account opening and at each anniversary renewal, receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade
    • "Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times. Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time. Travel blackout dates apply."
      • Blackout dates for 2016: Jan. 2-3; Feb. 12; Feb. 15; Mar. 24-25; Mar. 28; May 27; May 30; Jul. 1; Jul. 4; Sept. 2; Sept. 5; Oct. 10; Nov. 22-23; Nov. 26-28; Dec. 21-24; Dec. 26-30.
      • Blackout dates for 2017: Jan. 1-2; Feb. 17; Feb. 20; Apr. 13-14; Apr. 17; May 26; May 29; Sept. 1; Sept. 4; Oct. 9; Nov. 21-22; Nov. 24-27; [other dates TBD].
      "Regular (full) adult rail fare" excludes Senior/AAA/etc. discount fares. AGR Insider has asserted at one time that "full fare" includes Saver & other unrestricted fares, but two separate FTer reports indicate that Saver fares are in fact excluded.
    • "One-Class Upgrade Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, one-class upgrade. Valid only from Coach to Business class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. Travel blackout dates apply."

If my application is not instantly approved, is there a special contact number for Bank of America?
Try calling 888-221-6262 or 866-811-4108. (M-F 8am-7pm EST)

When will I receive my World MC Companion Coupon/Upgrade Coupon/ClubAcela Pass?
"Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade Coupon are available online through your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Your ClubAcela pass will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of account opening."

How soon will my AGR points post after I complete the required spend?
Bank of America transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a day or two after the end of the monthly billing cycle in which you complete the required spend.

Are these cards churnable?
TBD

Print Wikipost

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by GadgetKen

2 weak points for me on the Chase card were the lack of an EMV chip
Not that it matters for you now, but FWIW, Chase is in the process of sending out EMV equipped replacement cards for existing cardholders. Had Chase kept the AGR account yours would have become EMV capable.

Originally Posted by goriajk
What a crock of ..... I am being forced to take the Chase Freedom card. I will get new account numbers and credit line will change to floating credit - thanks Amtrak and Chase. I'm done !!! Joe
I've had cards converted to a new "flavor" or co-brand similar to this situation. It doesn't always mean a new account number. If Chase has said it will change, then obviously it will. Still, it's nothing to get up in arms over, just a different card number.

Why do you think your credit line will change?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
Originally Posted by physioprof
Another great thing about CSP is no foreign transaction fees.
Assuming CSP=Chase Sapphire Preferred that would mean no foreign transaction fees, 1:1 transfer into AGR, and an EMV chip...but there would be a $95 annual fee after the first free year. Tempting but I'm more interested in fee-free cards at the current time. Think the Amex Hhonors and Capital One Quicksilver cards I've already got in my wallet will be sufficient replacements for the Chase Amtrak card.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
The annoying thing is that this was not decided overnight. Yet with only a few days before the new card is due to roll out, we are still being kept in the dark about it. Why all the secrecy? Why so little notice, and so little (and such conflicting) information being handed out? Is this really the best way to handle it? It's typical Amtrak, unfortunately. Convoluted, inefficient, illogical, and never with the customer in mind. At this point we should know all the details already. Why don't we?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:56 am

Think part of the reason Amtrak has the new card offer still under wraps is that the Amtrak/Chase agreement is technically still in effect until the end of September. Might be considered breach of contract or in violation of a non-compete clause until the contract expires...just a guess here.

But agree that it would be nice if we knew all the details of the new AGR card(s) now. At the current time, I'm thinking of just cancelling my Chase card after my September AGR points post. The two other personal cards I have I think have better rewards than the offered Chase Freedom card.

Am hoping one of the new AGR cards is fee-free and not with BOA...but it sounds like that may not be the case.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:57 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Think part of the reason Amtrak has the new card offer still under wraps is that the Amtrak/Chase agreement is technically still in effect until the end of September. Might be considered breach of contract or in violation of a non-compete clause until the contract expires...just a guess here.
Your guess is correct; although I'm not sure if it's just Chase too. There may be something in the BOA contract too that spells out what & when things get announced.

But regardless, this isn't some ruthless desire by Amtrak and/or AGR, as well as AGR Insider to keep people in the dark. This is a contract matter that Amtrak cannot violate; nor can the other side(s). Which is probably why people are getting conflicting info from Chase reps too, because they really aren't being told much either and many are probably just making educated guesses at this point.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by AlanB
Your guess is correct; although I'm not sure if it's just Chase too. There may be something in the BOA contract too that spells out what & when things get announced.

But regardless, this isn't some ruthless desire by Amtrak and/or AGR, as well as AGR Insider to keep people in the dark. This is a contract matter that Amtrak cannot violate; nor can the other side(s). Which is probably why people are getting conflicting info from Chase reps too, because they really aren't being told much either and many are probably just making educated guesses at this point.
I think the fact that a Chase rep went out of her way to reiterate to me THREE TIMES that Amtrak is completely discontinuing its credit card altogether--and not switching it to another bank--speaks to more than just "guessing." It's hard to imagine a rep would say that (and so vociferously) unless she was told that.

Anyway, if Amtrak can make statements saying a new card is coming, they can at least let us know something about it. If the contract really doesn't expire until Sept. 30th and so everything must be top secret until Oct. 1, then how can a new card or cards launch on Sept. 12th? That would be a much bigger contract violation than giving us details of the new card(s).
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by Freckles68
I think the fact that a Chase rep went out of her way to reiterate to me THREE TIMES that Amtrak is completely discontinuing its credit card altogether--and not switching it to another bank--speaks to more than just "guessing." It's hard to imagine a rep would say that (and so vociferously) unless she was told that.
Frankly I would say that speaks to Chase trying to keep you as a customer.

Anyway, if Amtrak can make statements saying a new card is coming, they can at least let us know something about it. If the contract really doesn't expire until Sept. 30th and so everything must be top secret until Oct. 1, then how can a new card or cards launch on Sept. 12th? That would be a much bigger contract violation than giving us details of the new card(s).
First, let me reiterate that I have NO actual inside info here.

Therefore I don't know if what's holding back announcements is an exit agreement with Chase or the startup agreement with BOA. But regardless of which is preventing further details, I'm sure that there are specific dates at which point the various parties are actually able to provide more info. And it is highly unlikely that the date is September 30th.

Banks, and for that matter AGR, don't leave these things with vague words and dates. All of what is going to happen must be agreed upon by both parties and announcement windows are clearly defined within those contracts.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I would give zero credence to anything front-line Chase CSR reps are saying about this. They get incentive pay based on getting people who call in to make particular decisions, and they will say anything they think will help induce those decisions. If Chase management hasn't made an official public statement, then they certainly haven't told front-line CSR reps anything more.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I would give zero credence to anything front-line Chase CSR reps are saying about this. They get incentive pay based on getting people who call in to make particular decisions, and they will say anything they think will help induce those decisions. If Chase management hasn't made an official public statement, then they certainly haven't told front-line CSR reps anything more.
Oh, to mix these practices with a recording device and a bored lawyer looking to pick a fight...
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:24 pm

I'm completely aware of the fact that I was being lied to because she didn't want me closing my account and decamping to the new bank. I am not 12. But I sincerely doubt she just decided to say that on her own.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I'm completely aware of the fact that I was being lied to because she didn't want me closing my account and decamping to the new bank. I am not 12. But I sincerely doubt she just decided to say that on her own.
We'll have to disagree, because I sincerely doubt that Chase CSRs have been told by management to lie about these things.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: Amtrak
Also pleased to hear that Amtrak will grandfather all AGR points until the new AGR program starts next year.
If "grandfather" means what it sounds like, I wouldn't be happy if they were only grandfathered until D day. I fully expect they will be seriously devalued, but not disappear.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by jobtraklite
If "grandfather" means what it sounds like, I wouldn't be happy if they were only grandfathered until D day. I fully expect they will be seriously devalued, but not disappear.
Think the answer to that is "it depends".

There is a sneak peek on the new 2016 AGR program that includes a points estimator. Looks like some NE Regional business class seats would actually cost fewer points for me for bookings far in advance (I did a July 4th week hypothetical to WAS).

The new program has some interesting features including bonuses for purchasing upgraded seats, points/dollars redemptions, etc. Also like the new no expiration policy with any AGR activity in a 36 month period...that could be important if I don't go for the new AGR credit card.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:59 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by jobtraklite
What is going on, as I read it, is that between the "new" AGR card being made available and the "old" AGR card ceasing to be an AGR card there is only a period of about 18 days. It is almost inevitable that a decent number of AGR members whose points were being kept alive by the AGR card would, on October 1, be subject to losing their points as a result of no longer having an AGR card (either because they couldn't get approved for the new one in time or because they opted not to apply for it). So a (reasonable) patch is being applied to ensure that doesn't happen by, as I understand it, not having any points expire between 09/30 and sometime in January (at which point even old AGR card activity would seem to cover folks until September 2018).
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: Amtrak
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
What is going on, as I read it, is that between the "new" AGR card being made available and the "old" AGR card ceasing to be an AGR card there is only a period of about 18 days. It is almost inevitable that a decent number of AGR members whose points were being kept alive by the AGR card would, on October 1, be subject to losing their points as a result of no longer having an AGR card (either because they couldn't get approved for the new one in time or because they opted not to apply for it). So a (reasonable) patch is being applied to ensure that doesn't happen by, as I understand it, not having any points expire between 09/30 and sometime in January (at which point even old AGR card activity would seem to cover folks until September 2018).
I was keying in on the word "all" in Ken's original statement "Amtrak will grandfather all AGR points until the new AGR program starts next year", not just those about to disappear because of old age.

I ride the trains frequently; so I'm no concerned about loosing points because of a lack of activity or of a credit card. I would be concerned if points earned in August 2015 disappeared next year. I guess I was confused by Ken's use of the term grandfather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.