Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Beginning September 12, 2015, two new Amtrak-branded credit cards are available through Bank of America:
  • World MasterCard (20K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; $79 AF, not waived)
  • Platinum MasterCard (12K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; no AF)

Both cards offer the following benefits:
  • Earn 1 AGR point for non-Amtrak purchases
  • Earn a bonus for Amtrak ticket and on-board purchases
    • World MC earns a total of 3 AGR pts/$
    • Platinum MC earns 2 AGR pts/$
  • Receive a 5% points rebate on award redemptions for Amtrak travel
  • No forex fee on purchases outside the US
  • Your AGR points will never expire as long as you hold either card

The World MasterCard offers these additional benefits:
  • Earn 2 AGR pts/$ on non-Amtrak travel purchases
    • Per the T&C, this includes airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, resorts, and steamship/cruise lines. In cases where the merchant of record is not Amtrak, this 2pts/$ category also includes travel agencies, passenger railways, and commuter railways. (The last two were originally excluded, but are included as of 2021 or possibly earlier.)
  • Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year
    • Purchases are credited for the year of the statement on which they are billed. For an account that closes on the 20th of each month, purchases after Dec. 20 will count in the following year.
  • On account opening, receive a single-day pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges
    • Per T&C, "ClubAcela pass valid for bearer and one guest, or bearer's spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21. No same-day ticket required for use."
  • On account opening and at each anniversary renewal, receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade
    • "Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times. Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time. Travel blackout dates apply."
      • Blackout dates for 2016: Jan. 2-3; Feb. 12; Feb. 15; Mar. 24-25; Mar. 28; May 27; May 30; Jul. 1; Jul. 4; Sept. 2; Sept. 5; Oct. 10; Nov. 22-23; Nov. 26-28; Dec. 21-24; Dec. 26-30.
      • Blackout dates for 2017: Jan. 1-2; Feb. 17; Feb. 20; Apr. 13-14; Apr. 17; May 26; May 29; Sept. 1; Sept. 4; Oct. 9; Nov. 21-22; Nov. 24-27; [other dates TBD].
      "Regular (full) adult rail fare" excludes Senior/AAA/etc. discount fares. AGR Insider has asserted at one time that "full fare" includes Saver & other unrestricted fares, but two separate FTer reports indicate that Saver fares are in fact excluded.
    • "One-Class Upgrade Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, one-class upgrade. Valid only from Coach to Business class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. Travel blackout dates apply."

If my application is not instantly approved, is there a special contact number for Bank of America?
Try calling 888-221-6262 or 866-811-4108. (M-F 8am-7pm EST)

When will I receive my World MC Companion Coupon/Upgrade Coupon/ClubAcela Pass?
"Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade Coupon are available online through your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Your ClubAcela pass will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of account opening."

How soon will my AGR points post after I complete the required spend?
Bank of America transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a day or two after the end of the monthly billing cycle in which you complete the required spend.

Are these cards churnable?
TBD

Print Wikipost

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:25 am

I stand corrected. Companion and discount coupons aren't valid on discounted fares; I thought the same policy applied to upgrade coupons, but I was wrong.

I'll update my earlier post if the system allows me to do so.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
When did this change? Upgrades have never been valid on AAA fares.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:24 am

The credit card related upgrades can be used on AAA, senior, student etc - unlike other upgrades. Some of the phone reps don’t understand this and you need to get them to read the small print.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by vatraveler
When did this change? Upgrades have never been valid on AAA fares.
Hmm. Good question. I just checked my upgrade coupon from 2015; it has the following language:
Upgrade may be combined with corporate discount, but is not combinable with any other discount, coupon or Amtrak Guest Rewards redemption travel.
Apparently it changed between then and now. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my 2016 coupon anymore.

Originally Posted by DoB840
I stand corrected. Companion and discount coupons aren't valid on discounted fares; I thought the same policy applied to upgrade coupons, but I was wrong.
Perhaps not so wrong after all--looks like they changed the terms at some point!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:54 am

Tqp Posting

Hi all,
I have the AGR World MasterCard, and am trying to charge my way to extra TQP to reach select plus, and I have a couple of questions.

1) My statement closes on the 6th, does that mean charges made after Dec 6 will post TQP to next year? Is the Dec 20th in the sticky a specific date or an example?

2) How soon do the TQP bonuses post after crossing the 5k line? I saw above various posting dates and timeframes.

Today is my statement closing date and I could not run enough transactions today to get the bonus spend I need in today. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
Churned back to a new World Card after using the Platinum card for a year. Reading through the terms and noticed the addition of Non Amtrak Rail and Commuter Rail under the 2x travel category. Much needed and appreciated as that was not included when the card was first released.

Still would like to see them add Subway, Tolls, Busses, and Parking.
jackal likes this.

Last edited by Sicariis; Feb 15, 2018 at 6:03 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:55 pm

How do the companion / lounge passes come at account open? I got my new card in the mail today from BOA and quickly threw everything else in the envelope out (as I usually do), and now worried that I disposed of the passes, too.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by BrianGa
How do the companion / lounge passes come at account open? I got my new card in the mail today from BOA and quickly threw everything else in the envelope out (as I usually do), and now worried that I disposed of the passes, too.
They show up in your AGR account at some point. You don't need paper copies.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Aristophanes80
They show up in your AGR account at some point. You don't need paper copies.
Lounge passes are still paper.
mpeterson78 and hi55us like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
@Sicariis: I've noticed that as a broader trend (probably started by what Chase did a few years ago on this front). I remember when "travel" usually meant something like "directly-purchased airline tickets, hotel rooms, and maybe rental cars and cruises".
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Looks like there is now a $100 statement credit on the AF Card as well as the 20k bonus points, you have to do a phony checkout for a ticket to get this offer.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us
Looks like there is now a $100 statement credit on the AF Card as well as the 20k bonus points, you have to do a phony checkout for a ticket to get this offer.

Hello,
I need help. I got the Amtrak World Mastercard and my screenshot says "Get a $100 statement credit and 20,000 bonus points after you make $1000 or more in purchases on your new card within 90 days of account opening."

I got the 20,000 points. They did NOT give me $100 statement credit. I call customer service - all morons. Do not understand. They want to switch me over to Amtrak Rewards. I ask for manager. Manager does not understand. My question is

is there an address that I can WRITE TO about this proeblem?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by CarlosRodrigue
Hello,
I need help. I got the Amtrak World Mastercard and my screenshot says "Get a $100 statement credit and 20,000 bonus points after you make $1000 or more in purchases on your new card within 90 days of account opening."

I got the 20,000 points. They did NOT give me $100 statement credit. I call customer service - all morons. Do not understand. They want to switch me over to Amtrak Rewards. I ask for manager. Manager does not understand. My question is

is there an address that I can WRITE TO about this proeblem?
My Guess is you have to signup for the card through the checkout process and then receive the credit on the ticket you where purchasing. Also try buying a ticket and see if the credit shows up.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:30 am

I am not buying no ticket. It says Get a $100 statement credit

is there an address that I can WRITE TO about this problem?

Last edited by CarlosRodrigue; Mar 20, 2018 at 1:02 am
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Yes, write here

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
PO Box 2900
Clinton, IA 52733-2900
hi55us likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.