Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Beginning September 12, 2015, two new Amtrak-branded credit cards are available through Bank of America:
  • World MasterCard (20K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; $79 AF, not waived)
  • Platinum MasterCard (12K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; no AF)

Both cards offer the following benefits:
  • Earn 1 AGR point for non-Amtrak purchases
  • Earn a bonus for Amtrak ticket and on-board purchases
    • World MC earns a total of 3 AGR pts/$
    • Platinum MC earns 2 AGR pts/$
  • Receive a 5% points rebate on award redemptions for Amtrak travel
  • No forex fee on purchases outside the US
  • Your AGR points will never expire as long as you hold either card

The World MasterCard offers these additional benefits:
  • Earn 2 AGR pts/$ on non-Amtrak travel purchases
    • Per the T&C, this includes airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, resorts, and steamship/cruise lines. In cases where the merchant of record is not Amtrak, this 2pts/$ category also includes travel agencies, passenger railways, and commuter railways. (The last two were originally excluded, but are included as of 2021 or possibly earlier.)
  • Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year
    • Purchases are credited for the year of the statement on which they are billed. For an account that closes on the 20th of each month, purchases after Dec. 20 will count in the following year.
  • On account opening, receive a single-day pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges
    • Per T&C, "ClubAcela pass valid for bearer and one guest, or bearer's spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21. No same-day ticket required for use."
  • On account opening and at each anniversary renewal, receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade
    • "Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times. Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time. Travel blackout dates apply."
      • Blackout dates for 2016: Jan. 2-3; Feb. 12; Feb. 15; Mar. 24-25; Mar. 28; May 27; May 30; Jul. 1; Jul. 4; Sept. 2; Sept. 5; Oct. 10; Nov. 22-23; Nov. 26-28; Dec. 21-24; Dec. 26-30.
      • Blackout dates for 2017: Jan. 1-2; Feb. 17; Feb. 20; Apr. 13-14; Apr. 17; May 26; May 29; Sept. 1; Sept. 4; Oct. 9; Nov. 21-22; Nov. 24-27; [other dates TBD].
      "Regular (full) adult rail fare" excludes Senior/AAA/etc. discount fares. AGR Insider has asserted at one time that "full fare" includes Saver & other unrestricted fares, but two separate FTer reports indicate that Saver fares are in fact excluded.
    • "One-Class Upgrade Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, one-class upgrade. Valid only from Coach to Business class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. Travel blackout dates apply."

If my application is not instantly approved, is there a special contact number for Bank of America?
Try calling 888-221-6262 or 866-811-4108. (M-F 8am-7pm EST)

When will I receive my World MC Companion Coupon/Upgrade Coupon/ClubAcela Pass?
"Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade Coupon are available online through your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Your ClubAcela pass will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of account opening."

How soon will my AGR points post after I complete the required spend?
Bank of America transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a day or two after the end of the monthly billing cycle in which you complete the required spend.

Are these cards churnable?
TBD

Print Wikipost

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
When did your statement close? Just wondering how long after the statement closes before the points post.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Has anyone received the 1000 TQPs for $5000 in spend yet? I have spent substantially more than that, but haven't received any TQPs yet.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by physioprof
Has anyone received the 1000 TQPs for $5000 in spend yet? I have spent substantially more than that, but haven't received any TQPs yet.
I'm also curious if the 1000 TQP are also new redeemable points, or whether the TQP total simply bumps up by 1000 with no change in the redeemable point total.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by jackal
When did your statement close? Just wondering how long after the statement closes before the points post.
The same day. Statement and points (in AGR account) both posted on the 29th.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
For whatever reason, my statement cut early in October and I still haven't seen the 20k sign-up bonus points post in my AGR account. I got the coupons (upgrade and companion), and my BoA statement shows that the 20k points posted to the correct account, but nothing appears in AGR. I'll follow up to see what's going on but wanted to add a data point.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by NovaEngr
I'm also curious if the 1000 TQP are also new redeemable points, or whether the TQP total simply bumps up by 1000 with no change in the redeemable point total.
I'd like to know all of this too - I think they're still ironing things out, because actually my first 3K of points from normal spending came as TQP on my login to AGR, and I knew that was too good to be true, and sure enough, by a few weeks later, they're normal points. No TQP awarded yet, though I just hit that 5K so it should be soon....

Also, BofA is annoying. They accidentally classified a credit purchase as a "debit" on their website and when I called, they said it said "credit" on their end so "don't worry what it shows on the website," and that was after two times of their robot hanging up on me and much hold time. (I miss Chase!)
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:06 am

I would hope they get this issue ironed out soon.

It's a shorter than normal "calendar year" and it isn't unreasonable to think that some customers may need those TQPs to reach status before the end of the year.

I am sure it will be resolved, but I'd rather not have to call BOA or AGR in January.

Plus, the TQP benefit was the only reason I even decided to get the World card.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Plus, the TQP benefit was the only reason I even decided to get the World card.
Same here!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:16 pm

Its per quarter, so I assume that means the TQP posts following the end of each quarter (i.e. after 3/31, 6/30, 9/30 and 12/31). Unless you had the $5k of spend in September, I don't think the TQP will post until the 4th quarter ends on 12/31.

I didn't go digging back through the T&C, but I thought it was pretty clear this was just TQP, and not bonus points that got added to your account.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Its per quarter, so I assume that means the TQP posts following the end of each quarter (i.e. after 3/31, 6/30, 9/30 and 12/31). Unless you had the $5k of spend in September, I don't think the TQP will post until the 4th quarter ends on 12/31.

I didn't go digging back through the T&C, but I thought it was pretty clear this was just TQP, and not bonus points that got added to your account.
Where did you get that it's per quarter?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:35 pm

Where did you get that it's per quarter?
Because I read it too quickly every time I read it, and am wrong!

Earn 1,000 Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs) when you make at least $5,000 in purchases in a calendar year, up to 4,000 TQPs per year

To me that meant earn 1,000 TQP each time you hit $5,000 in a quarter, but I now see that it apparently means every $5k in spending gets you another 1,000 TQP.

So...nevermind!!!!
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
Originally Posted by lg10
... and that was after two times of their robot hanging up on me and much hold time. (I miss Chase!)
Which was why I didn't switch to the BOA AGR card and stayed with Chase, Cap1 and Amex. If BOA improved service I'd be tempted, but I need easy to deal with card issuers if something goes wrong (fraud, warranty claim, etc.), and there are some features BOA doesn't offer (BOA doesn't have free trip interruption/cancellation insurance on their no-fee AGR card like Chase does on the Chase Freedom card). I still do get some AGR points through non-AGR means though (Starwood automatic transfer, etc.).
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AGR MEMBER # XXX
9,706 PURCHASE POINTS
20,000 PROMOTION POINTS
29,706 TOTAL POINTS EARNED
VISIT WWW.AMTRAKGUESTREWARDS.COM
Statement dated 11/9/15. No points in my AGR account yet. I want to book my trip before the sleepers fill up!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
I'm about 5 weeks out now from when my statement cut (6 weeks from meeting spend). No bonus points seen in my account, though reported on my statement. I called into AGR who informed me that I would have to wait 6-8 weeks to post, at which point they would then investigate. I'm surprised given the expediency that others on the thread have received the points.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordByran
I'm about 5 weeks out now from when my statement cut (6 weeks from meeting spend). No bonus points seen in my account, though reported on my statement. I called into AGR who informed me that I would have to wait 6-8 weeks to post, at which point they would then investigate. I'm surprised given the expediency that others on the thread have received the points.
Yikes--if they're telling you that, that'll suck. The trip I want to redeem for is less than 8 weeks from now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.