Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Beginning September 12, 2015, two new Amtrak-branded credit cards are available through Bank of America:
  • World MasterCard (20K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; $79 AF, not waived)
  • Platinum MasterCard (12K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; no AF)

Both cards offer the following benefits:
  • Earn 1 AGR point for non-Amtrak purchases
  • Earn a bonus for Amtrak ticket and on-board purchases
    • World MC earns a total of 3 AGR pts/$
    • Platinum MC earns 2 AGR pts/$
  • Receive a 5% points rebate on award redemptions for Amtrak travel
  • No forex fee on purchases outside the US
  • Your AGR points will never expire as long as you hold either card

The World MasterCard offers these additional benefits:
  • Earn 2 AGR pts/$ on non-Amtrak travel purchases
    • Per the T&C, this includes airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, resorts, and steamship/cruise lines. In cases where the merchant of record is not Amtrak, this 2pts/$ category also includes travel agencies, passenger railways, and commuter railways. (The last two were originally excluded, but are included as of 2021 or possibly earlier.)
  • Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year
    • Purchases are credited for the year of the statement on which they are billed. For an account that closes on the 20th of each month, purchases after Dec. 20 will count in the following year.
  • On account opening, receive a single-day pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges
    • Per T&C, "ClubAcela pass valid for bearer and one guest, or bearer's spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21. No same-day ticket required for use."
  • On account opening and at each anniversary renewal, receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade
    • "Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times. Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time. Travel blackout dates apply."
      • Blackout dates for 2016: Jan. 2-3; Feb. 12; Feb. 15; Mar. 24-25; Mar. 28; May 27; May 30; Jul. 1; Jul. 4; Sept. 2; Sept. 5; Oct. 10; Nov. 22-23; Nov. 26-28; Dec. 21-24; Dec. 26-30.
      • Blackout dates for 2017: Jan. 1-2; Feb. 17; Feb. 20; Apr. 13-14; Apr. 17; May 26; May 29; Sept. 1; Sept. 4; Oct. 9; Nov. 21-22; Nov. 24-27; [other dates TBD].
      "Regular (full) adult rail fare" excludes Senior/AAA/etc. discount fares. AGR Insider has asserted at one time that "full fare" includes Saver & other unrestricted fares, but two separate FTer reports indicate that Saver fares are in fact excluded.
    • "One-Class Upgrade Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, one-class upgrade. Valid only from Coach to Business class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. Travel blackout dates apply."

If my application is not instantly approved, is there a special contact number for Bank of America?
Try calling 888-221-6262 or 866-811-4108. (M-F 8am-7pm EST)

When will I receive my World MC Companion Coupon/Upgrade Coupon/ClubAcela Pass?
"Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade Coupon are available online through your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Your ClubAcela pass will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of account opening."

How soon will my AGR points post after I complete the required spend?
Bank of America transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a day or two after the end of the monthly billing cycle in which you complete the required spend.

Are these cards churnable?
TBD

Print Wikipost

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by jfriend33
Interesting. You will have to explain this more to me. I confirmed with BOA that as long as I make over the minimum payment I will have no problem paying off any new purchases. They will not be accruing interest as long as after the statement cuts they are paid for by the due date.
In many cases (it varies between banks and between cards) if there is a standing balance at the end of one payment period then the "grace period" (e.g. the period where you're not charged interest on purchases) doesn't happen for the next period (or two). I think a bunch of cards introduced it as a way of sort-of getting around the ban on double-cycle billing.

So while there's zero interest on the transfer it can, depending on card T&C, put interest on purchases made in the interim from the date of purchase, not the end of the grace period (so you could be looking at up to about 55 days of interest on some purchases if you have any balance whatsoever versus 0 if you had no carried balance). I'm not sure about the BoA cards, but this has become sort-of standard as of late.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:26 pm

"Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year" implies that I can obtain 4,000 TQP's by spending $20,000 by the end of 2015, and on January 1 I can begin earning the next batch of 4,000 TQP's. Is that accurate or does the clock reset on the anniversary date (in mid-September, for many of us)?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, BOA Travel Visa,
Delay in BOA Points Earned being sent over to AGR

My September BOA AGR statement closed on Sept. 28th. In the short time the card was open I earned 506 AGR Points. I still do not see the points transferred over to AGR from BOA. With Chase they showed at AGR the next day. I have given it a week and they are still not there. A friend of mine also does not see his points earned from BOA on his AGR statement either. I am sure this has to be a glitch but calls to BOA have gotten me nowhere with them referring me to AGR. Anthony Rizos can you help ion this matter as the program with BOA is in the beginning steps and possibly their is a glitch in it that needs working out.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by DoB840
"Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year" implies that I can obtain 4,000 TQP's by spending $20,000 by the end of 2015, and on January 1 I can begin earning the next batch of 4,000 TQP's. Is that accurate or does the clock reset on the anniversary date (in mid-September, for many of us)?
Sounds pretty clear to me that "calendar year" means the clock resets January 1 for earning TQPs.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:51 am

Some interesting verbiage from the "welcome/new card is on its way" email:
Terms and conditions:
*You will qualify for 12,000 bonus points if you use your new credit card account to make any combination of Purchase transactions totaling at least $1,000 (exclusive of any fees, returns and adjustments) that post to your account within 90 days of the account open date. Limit one (1) bonus points offer per new account. This one-time promotion is limited to new customers opening an account in response to this offer. Other advertised promotional bonus points offers can vary from this promotion and may not be substituted. Allow 8 - 12 weeks from qualifying for the bonus points to post to your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. The value of this reward may constitute taxable income to you. You may be issued an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099 (or other appropriate form) that reflects the value of such reward. Please consult your tax advisor, as neither we, nor our affiliates, provide tax advice. The bonus points do not count toward Select, Select Plus or Select Executive status.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:00 pm

Call this number for expedited card.

I applied for the Bank of America no fee Amtrak card online. I was instantly approved. However, the approval form stated it would be 7 to 10 days before I received the card. I like to have my credit cards expedited. I called the card service number on the form, and the rep said no. I then spoke to his supervisor who said I would have to reapply for the credit card, and cancel the one that just got approved. I stated would I have to hand out all my personal information again to her. She said yes. She also told me that if I tried to get the bank to expedite it, they would not be able to do it either. I then noticed this number for Bank of America posted above called the reconsideration line. That number posted above is 888-221-6262. I decided to try as a last resort that number. The guy who answered stated sure we can expedite the card for you by Fed-Ex. I have set it up so you should receive it in the next couple of days.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
From what I understand, the 1099 bit is more of a CYA thing on their part and lists with all new accounts. It mainly comes into play with bank account opening incentives.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:30 pm

Points posted yesterday btw. Only a few days after hitting min spend, completely independent of statement close date!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Points posted yesterday btw. Only a few days after hitting min spend, completely independent of statement close date!
Mine posted yesterday, too.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by physioprof
Mine posted yesterday, too.
Same here. I got both cards and have hit the minimum spend on one of them already; the bonus posted yesterday. The other thing that happened yesterday was that I got emails telling me that both bills were ready, and at the same time, the regular points from the spending on both cards also posted to my AGR account.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
^
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
Getting ready to apply for this card with the end of Chase ultimate rewards transfer fast approaching. I keep looking at the perks weighing the pros/cons of the annual fee. card.

The 2x travel bonus does seems incredibly narrow when compared to the CSP which covered parking, and all forms of public transit. I find it hard to believe that commuter rail or VIA Rail wouldn't qualify for this bonus when using a rail based business credit card. I suppose theres certain commuter rail routes where they compete with Amtrak, but I know if I have a choice on a route I would take Amtrak first.

I'll probably get the World card just to test this and then voice my findings to AGR/Bank of America.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
This did not happen for me, alas - in fact, my statement closed on 10/8 and the bonus points still have not posted (as of 10/10). Should I worry?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Sicariis
Getting ready to apply for this card with the end of Chase ultimate rewards transfer fast approaching. I keep looking at the perks weighing the pros/cons of the annual fee. card.

The 2x travel bonus does seems incredibly narrow when compared to the CSP which covered parking, and all forms of public transit. I find it hard to believe that commuter rail or VIA Rail wouldn't qualify for this bonus when using a rail based business credit card. I suppose theres certain commuter rail routes where they compete with Amtrak, but I know if I have a choice on a route I would take Amtrak first.

I'll probably get the World card just to test this and then voice my findings to AGR/Bank of America.
I've got the BofA World Card...my Metrolink (So. Calif. commuter rail) monthly pass only produced 1x points. An LARail (PVs) trip purchase also only produced 1x points. Haven't done a Metro TAP card monthly purchase with the new card yet.

First statement posted (on line) October 7 and points posted on AGR by next day.
John
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Sicariis
Originally Posted by FrensicPic
I've got the BofA World Card...my Metrolink (So. Calif. commuter rail) monthly pass only produced 1x points. An LARail (PVs) trip purchase also only produced 1x points. Haven't done a Metro TAP card monthly purchase with the new card yet.
Wow, that's super stingy coding of the bonus category. Looks like I'll be keeping all non-affinity travel spend on CSP to be safe, even with UR-AGR transfers going away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.