Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Beginning September 12, 2015, two new Amtrak-branded credit cards are available through Bank of America:
  • World MasterCard (20K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; $79 AF, not waived)
  • Platinum MasterCard (12K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; no AF)

Both cards offer the following benefits:
  • Earn 1 AGR point for non-Amtrak purchases
  • Earn a bonus for Amtrak ticket and on-board purchases
    • World MC earns a total of 3 AGR pts/$
    • Platinum MC earns 2 AGR pts/$
  • Receive a 5% points rebate on award redemptions for Amtrak travel
  • No forex fee on purchases outside the US
  • Your AGR points will never expire as long as you hold either card

The World MasterCard offers these additional benefits:
  • Earn 2 AGR pts/$ on non-Amtrak travel purchases
    • Per the T&C, this includes airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, resorts, and steamship/cruise lines. In cases where the merchant of record is not Amtrak, this 2pts/$ category also includes travel agencies, passenger railways, and commuter railways. (The last two were originally excluded, but are included as of 2021 or possibly earlier.)
  • Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year
    • Purchases are credited for the year of the statement on which they are billed. For an account that closes on the 20th of each month, purchases after Dec. 20 will count in the following year.
  • On account opening, receive a single-day pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges
    • Per T&C, "ClubAcela pass valid for bearer and one guest, or bearer's spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21. No same-day ticket required for use."
  • On account opening and at each anniversary renewal, receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade
    • "Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times. Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time. Travel blackout dates apply."
      • Blackout dates for 2016: Jan. 2-3; Feb. 12; Feb. 15; Mar. 24-25; Mar. 28; May 27; May 30; Jul. 1; Jul. 4; Sept. 2; Sept. 5; Oct. 10; Nov. 22-23; Nov. 26-28; Dec. 21-24; Dec. 26-30.
      • Blackout dates for 2017: Jan. 1-2; Feb. 17; Feb. 20; Apr. 13-14; Apr. 17; May 26; May 29; Sept. 1; Sept. 4; Oct. 9; Nov. 21-22; Nov. 24-27; [other dates TBD].
      "Regular (full) adult rail fare" excludes Senior/AAA/etc. discount fares. AGR Insider has asserted at one time that "full fare" includes Saver & other unrestricted fares, but two separate FTer reports indicate that Saver fares are in fact excluded.
    • "One-Class Upgrade Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, one-class upgrade. Valid only from Coach to Business class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. Travel blackout dates apply."

If my application is not instantly approved, is there a special contact number for Bank of America?
Try calling 888-221-6262 or 866-811-4108. (M-F 8am-7pm EST)

When will I receive my World MC Companion Coupon/Upgrade Coupon/ClubAcela Pass?
"Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade Coupon are available online through your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Your ClubAcela pass will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of account opening."

How soon will my AGR points post after I complete the required spend?
Bank of America transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a day or two after the end of the monthly billing cycle in which you complete the required spend.

Are these cards churnable?
TBD

Print Wikipost

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimhudson
I applied on-line yesterday on the link from the AGR web site and have heard nothing so far..
Unlike some other banks, BofA's credit department does not seem to work weekends. Today is Sunday, and yesterday (when you said you applied) was Saturday, so you're not likely to hear anything until at least later on Monday or Tuesday morning (if by "hear" you mean checking the BofA credit card application status site).

Over in the Credit Card forum's thread on the Alaska Airlines card (which is also from BofA), people recommend not applying on the weekends for BofA cards (if there's any chance you might want to call in or get timely updates).
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: AGR
Originally Posted by jfriend33
Ok, not to be rude,
Almost universally, something rude follows these words, and you do not disappoint. Quite frankly, that's none of your business.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by HokieNav
Almost universally, something rude follows these words, and you do not disappoint. Quite frankly, that's none of your business.
Agree
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by AmtrakBlue
Agree
Well I am new and I wasnt trying to be rude. How is asking for a persons anonymous info rude? Its not like they can have their identity stolen by surrendering credit limit, apr, scores, etc. I wasnt asking for blood type.

Especially when said info could prevent another person from wasting their time applying?

Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
no problems

Approved immediately online for World version. BTW, their credit card phone customer service is working fine today (Sunday).
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:57 pm

Great Question!

Originally Posted by jfriend33
Well I am new and I wasnt trying to be rude. How is asking for a persons anonymous info rude? Its not like they can have their identity stolen by surrendering credit limit, apr, scores, etc. I wasnt asking for blood type.

Especially when said info could prevent another person from wasting their time applying?

Thanks
You asked a very good question! You certainly were not being rude-especially since you stated that the persons replying would be anonymous. Even if they are not anonymous, they certainly have the option to not answer the question that you asked. As a matter of fact, I would like the answer to your question-and I am sure a lot of other persons would also find the answers helpful.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: United 'Cattle Car', American, JetBlue Airways, Marriott Rewards 'Gold', Amtrak AGR 'Select'
I never applied for a credit card over my iPhone...but I did last night

I ordered the no annual fee card - and amazed how quickly I got approved with a nice credit line. I will keep chase freedom and this card with no annual fee - I need this card because I use Amtrak California so much. Thanks- Joe G. Bear
Originally Posted by AGR Insider
Today, you’ll begin to see information through various sources about the new Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard® credit cards. For those of you who are deeply engaged with the program, we wanted to share the details here. With the new Amtrak Guest Rewards World MasterCard® credit card, members will enjoy accelerated earning in the program like never before—3 points for every $1 spent with Amtrak, including onboard purchases, 2 points per $1 spent on all other eligible travel purchases and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. Plus, to make earning Amtrak award travel even faster and easier, the World MasterCard® credit card comes with an attractive 20,000 bonus points offer after spending at least $1,000 in purchases on the new card within 90 days of account opening. Also, World MasterCard cardholders will be entitled to additional benefits—ranging from the ability to earn valuable Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs) toward elevated status and a complimentary Companion Coupon, One-Class Upgrade and a single-day ClubAcela pass.

Now you will have the choice between the premium World MasterCard credit card and the all-new Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum card, which will earn you 2 points for every $1 spent with Amtrak and 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases. Plus, both cards will allow you to enjoy greater acceptance and added security with smart-chip technology when used at chip-enabled terminals.

For information about the rates, fees, other costs and benefits associated with the use of these credit cards, go to http://AmtrakGuestRewards.com/Apply, and we highly encourage you to visit the site for a comprehensive overview of the new cards.

This credit card program is issued and administered by Bank of America, N.A. MasterCard and World MasterCard are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated and are used by the issuer pursuant to license.

Anthony Rizos
Director, Member Experience Solutions
Amtrak
Washington, D.C.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Re-applied over the phone and was approved on the spot. No idea what will happen with the bungled applications, but c'est la vie. Since all of this nonsense happened over the course of 36 hours on a weekend I am reasonably hopeful it will only count as a single inquiry.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Something I did want to ask...what counts as a "travel purchase" in terms of card coding? Are we talking plane tickets, hotels, or what?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Something I did want to ask...what counts as a "travel purchase" in terms of card coding? Are we talking plane tickets, hotels, or what?
I'm actually wondering that myself--bus travel wasn't specifically mentioned, but would be a plus.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
From the World Card T&C's:
Earn 2 Points for every $1 of Net Purchases charged at eligible Non-Amtrak travel merchants, which include: airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, and resorts, steamship/cruise lines, and travel agencies.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by NovaEngr
From the World Card T&C's:
Since it apparently isn't obvious, I suppose I need to point out that earlier today I put this & other info into a new wiki now gracing this thread.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by beltway
Since it apparently isn't obvious, I suppose I need to point out that earlier today I put this & other info into a new wiki now gracing this thread.
Why take all the fun out of it! That would actually require people to read something and do some research when it is so much easier to just ask the question again!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:25 am

Yeah...I hadn't noticed the wiki, either. I noticed it in the other thread but not here...but then again, I'm going to blame some of this on the sheer irritation of the weekend making me fail a spot check.

Though it isn't expressly mentioned, this means that one ought to get two points per dollar on VIA up in Canada as well. Basically...at this point I think this is probably going to be my go-to card once it gets here.

As to my earlier plan to convert my Chase card to a Sapphire, I'm going to have to go ahead with that: With the new AGR card (and likely a new Virgin Atlantic card as a side-effect), I'm over five new cards in two years. The main "credit" really goes to timing on a bunch of stuff.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:15 am

Location: Norfolk, VA, USA Occupation: Former Hotel, Airline, Travel Agency, and Computerized Reservations System Representative
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
Thumbs up From Pending to Approved!

I think I'm the first one to admit this, but my credit score/rating suffers because I have massive student loans and a high credit-limit-to-debt ratio; however, my application for the World BoA Amtrak card I submitted Saturday went from "pending" to "approved" less than an hour ago. I do have to add that I am a current BoA customer with a balance large enough to purchase a small house, so I'm thinking that was extremely helpful. I also have not applied for credit of any kind since the World Chase Amtrak card first came out about 7 years ago. I hope someone finds this info helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.