Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

explanation for how conductors use seat check stubs as code?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:53 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

I am just curious in general as to how the seat check stubs work on Amtrak and lots of other commuter rail lines.

Do the conductors rip the stub so other conductors can see how far the passenger is going, and the longer the remaining stub the farther the destination? I notice that the stubs can be 1) ripped, 2) folded, 3) hole punched in various ways.

Do they change the color/markings on the stubs every day?

Do they have a daily email explaining what the code is going to be?

Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by TA
I am just curious in general as to how the seat check stubs work on Amtrak and lots of other commuter rail lines.

Do the conductors rip the stub so other conductors can see how far the passenger is going, and the longer the remaining stub the farther the destination? I notice that the stubs can be 1) ripped, 2) folded, 3) hole punched in various ways.

Thanks!
Depends on the train. Conductors use a combination of color, fold, tear, to plus writing to show which station your going to. For example, my station is a yellow with a tear. They will also use their ticket punch to punch holes to show how many people the seat check is for or if its business class or coach.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TA

Thanks!
I doubt there is a single scheme that is used by all conductors on all trains. My observations on the Capitol Corridor trains are:
Destination and count is written on stubs
Sometimes writing on front sometimes on back
Different colors used for different days (?)
Fold/tear/punch used to identify who lifted the ticket (?)
No instructions to move your stub should you choose to move seats

Edit: now that printers are being used on the Capitol Corridor (and others I presume), much less to guess about.

Last edited by RogerD408; Jun 28, 2015 at 11:32 am Reason: As RoadMan points out later, the new printers take all the fun out of it.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Most of my conductors on the Capitol Corridor trains now use the seat check printers. They scan the ticket and the seat check with the Station Code (and some other information such as origin, date, res #, etc...) are printed out. It makes interpreting the stubs much less interesting than before!

For those still using the traditional seat checks I've noticed either the destination written on it or the orientation of the seat check mixed with various folds to denote the destination.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:52 am

I can't find the article, but there was an article that I read written by a retired conductor, who explained some of the special marks they made on the seat checks as well. Depending on the position of the mark, it related to your race and gender. This was to prevent people from taking someone's seat check, and if someone did, the conductor could tell just by looking at it and then would ask for your ticket.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:38 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by seat38a
I can't find the article, but there was an article that I read written by a retired conductor, who explained some of the special marks they made on the seat checks as well. Depending on the position of the mark, it related to your race and gender. This was to prevent people from taking someone's seat check, and if someone did, the conductor could tell just by looking at it and then would ask for your ticket.
Wow, that seems like a lot of effort for a pretty rare case to catch. Sounds like far too much encoding for say, a short commuter rail journey.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I was told, via some folks who claimed to be Metro-North Railroad conductors, that there are no hard and fast rules re: seat checks; each person (or train crew) just does it his/their own way.

NYC-area commuter railroads have seat checks with a bunch of numbers on them, sometimes with letters. I figured that the letter indicated the direction of the trip and the number indicated the fare zone number, but in practice that's not necessarily how seat checks work.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by TA
Wow, that seems like a lot of effort for a pretty rare case to catch. Sounds like far too much encoding for say, a short commuter rail journey.
On Amtrak, ticket collection is serious business. No such thing as proof of payment system on it. They scan EVERYONES ticket. Also, considering that Amtrak offers refund for unused tickets its quite important to lift the ticket or someone can get a refund and use it over and over again.

Most proof of purchase systems don't offer refund as far as I can tell so lifting tickets is not a big issue.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
This is my observation for the Amtrak Northeast Corridor.

If your destination is at or beyond the next crew change point, the conductor will just put a full seat check above your seat. The next crew will simply remove all of the seat checks and start again when scanning everyone's tickets.

If your destination is within the current crew's operating territory, they'll either circle the destination on the seat check, or write on the back, or write the station code on a blank white seat check. If the station is listed on the edge of the seat check, they may also tear it.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by roadman3313
Most of my conductors on the Capitol Corridor trains now use the seat check printers. They scan the ticket and the seat check with the Station Code (and some other information such as origin, date, res #, etc...) are printed out. It makes interpreting the stubs much less interesting than before!
Happened upon these for the first time today, so I took the opportunity to take a photo:

I stumbled upon this thread when searching to see if anyone else had seen these yet.

Greetings from somewhere between Newark and Milpitas, where we are currently sitting still.

And yes, I know my confirmation number is displayed in the photo, but the trip will be done in 30 minutes, so potential damage is minimal and not worth the hassle of blurring it out.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:14 am
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Originally Posted by jackal
Greetings from somewhere between Newark and Milpitas
You and a couple hundred million other people

Anthony
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AY Gold, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Diamond
Do Amtrak conductors start checking tickets from front or rear?

Silly question I know, but asking for a reason Does anyone know if Amtrak conductors start checking & scanning tickets from the front or the rear of the train?

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:45 am

Depends on their mood.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by boaz84
Silly question I know, but asking for a reason Does anyone know if Amtrak conductors start checking & scanning tickets from the front or the rear of the train?

Thanks!
To me it's more where you're sitting. A car near the front they start from there and go back. Close to the back they check from the back and go forward. I never sit in the middle so couldn't say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.