Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Train 188 derailed near PHL (May 12, 2015)

Train 188 derailed near PHL (May 12, 2015)

Old May 12, 15, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Fox News reporting that Train 188 (WAS-NYP) has derailed near PHL. Numerous injuries; no report yet of fatalities.
Old May 12, 15, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Updated 3 minutes ago
At least 50 people were hurt after an Amtrak train derailed in the Frankford section of Philadelphia Tuesday night, according to officials.
Officials say eight to ten cars derailed on the 2000 block of Wheatsheaf Lane. At least 50 people were injured though officials have not yet revealed their conditions. Officials say approximately 240 people in all were on board. The train was heading to New York from Washington, DC according to officials.
Read more: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...#ixzz3ZytdMELd
Old May 12, 15, 9:34 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
Absolutely horrible. Hope no serious injuries.
Old May 12, 15, 10:32 pm

Sending out thoughts and prayers to those involved in this tragedy.
Old May 12, 15, 10:58 pm

Programs: United 'Cattle Car', American, JetBlue Airways, Marriott Rewards 'Gold', Amtrak AGR 'Select'
Five dead...

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Fox News reporting that Train 188 (WAS-NYP) has derailed near PHL. Numerous injuries; no report yet of fatalities.
my Prayers are to the victims and their families. What a mess
Old May 13, 15, 4:38 am

I was on an early morning Acela from DC to Penn. Woke up at 4am to catch my train when I saw this news. All Amtrak service stopped between DC and NY until at least next week, according to the Philly mayor.

I just rebooked onto a flight, but needless to say, I'm having a much better morning than anyone on that train.
Old May 13, 15, 5:47 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Absolutely terrible.
Old May 13, 15, 6:36 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
As of 7:30am EDT they are reporting at least 6 fatalities.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/us...T.nav=top-news
Old May 13, 15, 7:46 am

Programs: UA silver; AA Gold;AGR;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Two colleagues of mine were on that train. Fortunately, both reported to be fine. I'll see them on Friday; I'm sure they will have quite a horrific story to tell!
Old May 13, 15, 7:50 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
If they are comfortable with you reporting back here on their stories, please do.
Old May 13, 15, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
I was on an early morning Acela from DC to Penn. Woke up at 4am to catch my train when I saw this news. All Amtrak service stopped between DC and NY until at least next week, according to the Philly mayor.

I just rebooked onto a flight, but needless to say, I'm having a much better morning than anyone on that train.
They should be able to run the entire NEC except PHL to Trenton.

The news media isn't always accurate, as I type I heard a reporter say the train was going northbound from New York to DC and I heard another say the conductor drives the train from the first car.

Nothing like fact checking.

Bob H
Old May 13, 15, 8:26 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Running WAS to PHL and NYP to BOS

Originally Posted by BobH View Post
They should be able to run the entire NEC except PHL to Trenton.

Bob H
Per Amtrak, they are not running trains between NYP and PHL:

On Wednesday, May 13, modified Amtrak service will be provided between Washington and Philadelphia, Harrisburg and Philadelphia, and New York and Boston. There will be no Amtrak service between New York and Philadelphia, but New Jersey Transit will honor Amtrak tickets between New York City and Trenton.

Other Amtrak Service between New York and Albany-Rensselaer; New Haven and Springfield, Mass., and other points will operate.

Link:
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1251628184602
Old May 13, 15, 8:32 am

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
ALLEGED Screenshot of Track-A-Train for Train 188, before Amtrak removed it from the web:

The source of the above screenshot also says that train 188 appears to have derailed at the Frankford Junction curve, which has a 50 MPH speed limit.
Old May 13, 15, 8:37 am

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
And from Adam Tuss, Transportation for NBC-4 Washington:

Told by an @amtrak source that event recorders on board can be remotely downloaded, and that train was traveling very fast
Source: Twitter
Old May 13, 15, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Greyhound takes < 2 hours to get from the Filbert Street depot in Philly to PABT. Presume they will lay on extra sections today, as the NJT alternative up to NYC is laborious.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: