Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Who takes long-distance trains for business trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

Thought this might make an interesting discussion:

Who among us takes Amtrak's long-distance trains for business trips?

If so, how do your employer and co-workers react?

I have taken the Crescent for business trips and just submitted the ticket receipt for reimbursement and nobody thought a thing, even though it would have been faster to fly. My non-productive time on that trip was far lower than it would have been if I'd flown, so it worked well.

In addition, if you don't take long-distance trains for business trips, what could Amtrak do to get you to?

For me, if the schedules were better, I would take them. Having a long-distance train leave NYC mid-afternoon just doesn't work; if it left in the evening and arrived the next morning at the destination, that would be feasible.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I take long distance train trips for leisure a few times a year, I honestly cannot imagine taking them for business. Firstly, schedules can be unreliable and secondly, Amtrak trains arrive in a lot of major cities in the middle of the night. Thirdly, I wouldn't want to do anymore than 6 hours or so in coach so unless my company was paying for at least a roomette I wouldn't do it.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Related older threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...our-hours.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...travelers.html

I've heard of, and met business travelers, on several overnight city pairs like WAS-ATL, CHI-PGH, etc.

Personally, I once had a circle trip where TUS-LAX in a roomette was cheaper than airfare. Another time, got to spend the weekend enjoying EMY-DEN ahead of meetings in Denver on a Monday morning, with only a fraction of the fare not reimbursed by work.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I knew of researchers who work at universities and traveling to attend conferences, uses Amtrak to travel let say CHI-LAX-LAS and write off all those days as vacation days since faculty (especially tenured) have unlimited vacation days.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:56 am

I have a friend who does multiple DC to CA round-trips a year in a sleeper. I gather he made this an up-front requirement when he was interviewing for the job. He doesn't fly, the job required the travel, and they wanted to recruit him badly enough that they were willing to agree to send him via ground transit only.

I've done DC to Boston without raising any eyebrows around the office, but I expect any trip of more than about twelve hours would get pushback.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold

I just read an article about someone who uses the Texas Eagle each between Mineola and Fort Worth. Her office is near the station in FTW, and can get work done while on the train. I guess he/she can put up with the delays sometimes.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter

In addition, if you don't take long-distance trains for business trips, what could Amtrak do to get you to?
What could Amtrak do to get me to? Make their trains go about 500 mph so I can cross the country in 5 hours. Until then, I'll stick to whatever gets me there fastest. To me 5 hours in low comfort is still better than 40 in medium comfort.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:38 pm

My son does. ATL to NYP & BAL. He can leave after work, relax in a sleeper, get work done and arrive early enough.

Then, again, he is a co-owner of the company.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:37 pm

If 66/67 is considered a long distance (BOS-WAS probably is, considering time, but more likely something like BOS-RVM) and put on a sleeper accordingly, I will take this option without hesitation. Can probably justify/negotiate the cost with the company, too (comparing against flight+hotel, time productivity, etc.).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
I had a consulting engagement in Seattle, so I flew LHR to ORD and took the Empire Builder. Fabulous journey.
OK not Amtrak, but I also took the Trans-Siberian from Moscow to Beijing and then onto Shanghai for business meetings. The client even paid the fare as it was in the same ball park as direct business class flights. I absorbed the time.
Being self-employed does have its benefits.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
  • Frequency
  • Speed
  • Reliability
  • Economy

With Amtrak long-distance trains one gets none of the above.

I like the relaxed pace (and some of the routes) but as an alternative to flying, Amtrak is absolutely non-competitive on long distance routes.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Not strictly business, but I got a WAS-MTR fare paid for by a college I was volunteering for. I even got them to pay for the Acela, impressively enough. Why? I showed them that it was still about $100 less than the airfare.

On the business side of things, I'm in the same boat as a few of the above stories: I use the Silvers to shuttle back and forth to/from Florida on business with some frequency...but I'm also part owner of the company and the other owners know my thoughts on the airline options available to me and that I've preferred the train down there for years.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I do, 3-5 times a year typically. (Though I fly the vast majority of my trips, typically 2-4 trips/month). Most are overnights-OKC-KAL, or OKC-MKE, JAX-NYP, or the occasional multi-night KCY-LAX, LAX-OKC. I justify it by productivity, but do it for the break in flying, and usually take my son on these trips. Time is usually my killer, so often leave on a Sunday, instead of fly on Monday. Usually take the train outbound, but fly home, first so I don't have to burn my weekend traveling, and second, usually a 4-5 hour layover to connect when going home. So yes, I'm a frequent business traveller, but mostly by air, but when I can make it work, I like the train. Thankfully I have an expense account, book my own travel, and don't have to spend a lot of energy justifying my choices, as long as it's price comparable or otherwise adds value in productivity.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: AGR, HH
I've taken the Meteor to Florida on business. You miss half a days' work, anyway, getting to the airport, clearing security, etc. so the time differential wasn't that great. I also use the train Philadelphia to Pittsburgh. Now that USAir has a monopoly on that route again, the airfare is $620 and the train is only $110. Since there's power and spotty wifi I can work on the train and be quite productive. When the timing works out I opt for the train.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AGR Select+, Hilton Gold, Luv SWA, wish their points wud transfer to Amtrak.....
Amtrak LD For Business Trips

I take the Cap to/from DC /Chicago at least once a year for the NRA (restaurants, not rifles) show.

Have taken the Crescent to Atlanta, and returned from NOL to DC after trade shows.

My employer doesn't mind how I get there, but if it's much over the lowest cost SWA (or other) fare, I have to kick in the difference, and it almost always is, (only go sleeper class) or I'll use points for the return.

I've also used Meteor/Star for Florida to DC, travel, when our annual conference is in the Sunshine State.

Toronto-DC has been done too, but I dislike the LD by coach, with no "real" lounge, and no "real" food. Same for Montreal, although the scenery on that route makes up for a LOT of amenities that are lacking.

For over 15 years, our family took the Auto Train to Florida and back each Spring Break. Amenities cut took place last year, wife hated the fact only one lounge car, 4 dinner settings, and lack of wine tasting.

This year, we drove.

East coast to Florida, Chicago and Atlanta are the markets, that, IMHO, if Amtrak "found the money" could easily support add'l frequencies. But I'll b e worm food B4 that ever happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.