Silver Star sleeping cars gone?

Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Silver Star sleeping cars gone?

Why are sleeping cars not available on the Silver Star in August 2015 and later?

Seems odd.

Thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Big Discussion going on here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewt...?f=46&t=159220

My money is on an IT glitch, but we'll see...
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:37 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Here's some more discussion: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/inde...pers-sold-out/
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: AGR
Lots and lots of rumors flying around. Worth noting that this also cropped up late last year and then the sleepers were open for booking again. It's possible that may happen again.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'll have to keep an eye on this. I was looking at taking the Silver Star from CYN to WAS in December and I was confused that the sleepers were sold out. Here's hoping on it being an IT issue.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Looks like this isn't an IT glitch but a six month "trial" running without a dining car:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/inde...ld-out/page-10

This will be interesting. Not going to go over very well, I hope, because if it does go over with pax and costs fall faster than revenue, it could become permanent. Too bad they aren't trying to increase revenue instead.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Amtrak has made a major change to this train -- sleeping car fares will no longer include meals, but will be lower and the train will no longer have a full diner.

No telling how long this will last

Bob H
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AGR
Full statement from Amtrak:

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/68/104/A...ATK-15-022.pdf
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for posting the statement, I personally think this is pretty awful. There are two trains between Raleigh and Washington and I've gone out of my way to take the Silver Star so I can enjoy the diner. I've also taken the Silver Star to Miami in a sleeper.

I'll be avoiding it from now on, it would be so bad if the food in the cafe car was edible but it's really not
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Someone leaked additional details on the AU forum. With no improvement to the bleak cafe menu (and no apparent ability to bulk up inventory provision of the existing items), this experiment is sure to be short-lived in its announced form.

It's too bad there couldn't at least be cold boxed meals boarded for the sleepers for one or two of the meal periods (as is done on the Empire Builder PDX section). Or, heck, monetize cold meals in the cafe car. Where's the creative entrepreneurship?

It's also a shame that a diner or cafe couldn't be retained as a table car for sleeper pax. The Amfleet II cafe car tends to be very crowded even when the full diner is also in service.

We can only (perversely) hope that CSI scores will drop fast enough to force a course-correction on this plan once reality hits.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:31 am

Very true. The last time I waited in line on the Silver Star in the cafe car I think I had to wait a half hour just to get a soda and a coffee. Not to mention that by the time the train gets from Miami to North Carolina, they're usually out of a bunch of stuff.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, in regards to miles and points, what happens to the cost of AGR redemotions on this train?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by nerd
And, in regards to miles and points, what happens to the cost of AGR redemotions on this train?
Good question. Even NER trains 66/67 had complimentary meals when there was still a sleeper. Same for the current dinky incarnation of the Cardinal.

Long-term, Amtrak needs to invest in something like reverse-herringbone sleeper seats for a subset of Amfleet coaches to achieve a middle-ground "slumbercoach" level of service. This should be in addition to, not in lieu of, real sleepers and a real diner.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by nerd
I doubt they'll create a new redemption option for what is allegedly a temporary trial period. If it turns into a full time thing, then you could certainly make the case for a lower redemption level if your sleeper trip involves the Silver Star only.

On the other hand, the applicable redemptions for sleeper space, as described on the AGR website, are simply called "Bedroom" and "Roomette." Strictly speaking, you'll still be getting a "Bedroom" or a "Roomette" on the Silver Star. As with all things, it's buyer (or redeemer) beware. Hopefully the AGR phone agents will alert people to that if they seek to use points for sleeper space on the Silver Star. But I wouldn't count on it.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:31 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
No changes to sleeping car redemption requirements are planned in response to the Silver Star "un-bundled" fare offer. If the member wishes to instead redeem on another route with dining car service, the member may modify the reservation by contacting the Amtrak Guest Rewards Service Center.

Anthony

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.