Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capitol Corridor (SAC-OKJ)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Capitol Corridor (SAC-OKJ)

I've got the opportunity to travel from Sacramento to Oakland on the train for the first time, for business. Capitol Corridor, for $29/direction.

Anything I should know going into this? Never been on a train. Seems fairly obvious I'd want to set up a rewards account with Amtrak... briefly remember seeing links of some type here on FT (which could give me some kind of sign up bonus?), which I'll check out. Wondering if there's anything interesting to keep an eye out for (great scenery? etc.)

Open-ended question for anyone to answer, especially if you're familiar with the route.

I guess one big question is, where can I find some on-time stats for this route?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hey there. I've actually taken that route myself and you're in luck, you'll see some pretty good scenery. I recommend a seat on the right (facing forward) side of the train to enjoy the views of the Bay as you head south. Also, before you get to the SF Suburbs you'll go through Davis which is also really gorgeous.

mtrak is very easy to take, you can even print your ticket ahead of time. Here are some stats for you, as you can see the train has a good on time percentage:

http://www.amtrak.com/capitol-corrid...lRouteOverview
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
This is a wonderful trip--particularly the early-morning (sunrise) trips and the ones at sunset. Often enough, Amtrak will put on one Superliner car. For some reason, everyone seems to stick in the newer cars, but head to the Superliner for cushy, reclining coach seat comfort.

About the first half of the trip is overland and then on the northern side of the Sacramento/San Joaquin River Delta, then through Suisun Marsh. If you are in a fairly empty car, it might be worth it to sit on the left side (in the direction of travel) to look out over the marsh and its duck clubs, but only if you can be sure to switch to the right side for the trip along the edge of the Bay. After going over the big rail bridge over the Carquinez Strait, you'll pass by an oil refinery and the the C&H Sugar factory--interesting industrial views--and then along the Bay. Finally, after the Emeryville stop, you'll go through the UPRR/Amtrak yards in West Oakland. For many years, the restored cars for the "American Orient Express" (old Pullman cars) were stored here--always a nice view. That venture went belly-up a few years back, I think, but the cars have still been there, on and off.

There's always a car where snacks, beverages, and light food can be purchased. The attendant there is typically quite cheerful and it can be pleasant to spend a few minutes there.

Having taken the Capitol Corridor back and forth OKJ-SAC for work for about 15 years, my experience is that it has rarely been more than about 30 minutes late (for the 2-hour trip), and it's mostly on time, or quite close to that. Also, unlike back East, tickets are good on any Capitol Corridor train, so if you're a little early (or late) for one, you can use your ticket on whichever train you get on, except for the long-distance ones that come through.

Also, depending where you are going, you might want to consider continuing on to the Oakland Coliseum stop for a BART connection (1-block walk, feels sketchy, but should be okay unless it's really late)(you could also walk the few blocks from OKJ to the Lake Merritt station). Much better, from my perspective, than transferring in Richmond and cutting short the Amtrak portion of the trip.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for the wonderful answers! All the best. ^
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, AA EP, DL Diamond, UA PLATINUM, Amtrak Select Plus
theres

be sure to register for double points!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.