Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

California Zephyr Emeryville checked luggage question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hyatt

Today when I booked our 2 bedrooms on the California Zephyr (westbound) the agent informed me that if we are taking the thruway bus from Emeryville to the SF finanicial district that we won't be able to check any luggage because there won't be enough time to retrieve it before the bus leaves.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There are 4 adults and and 1-year-old so arranging alternative transport into SF could get costly, and I'd rather use the service that's included with amtrak if possible.

Amtrak's carryon luggage allowance sounds fairly generous and I think we could manage that but should I be concerned that there won't be enough room for the bigger stuff in the sleeper car's downstairs luggage area? We are talking about a small-medium sized suitcase for each person and a stroller (smaller personal items will go in our rooms). I'd hate to have to put all that stuff in the bedrooms if there isn't room for it downstairs.

First time taking the train (very excited) so I would love to hear from some experts.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The luggage storage racks can accommodate quite a bit. The biggest factor is how much "stuff" others have placed there before you...however space comes and goes as people get on and off along the route. So if it's somewhat full when you board you may be able to move a bag down there later.

Depending on the actual size of your bags (from your description I'm picturing a typical airline rollaboard bag?) you may find decent space for some of them in the bedrooms...I've only looked inside a bedroom and haven't traveled in one (usually roomettes) so others will have more insight on bedroom space utility.

You'll have a great time on the train - enjoy!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
The sleeper cars do have carry-on storage downstairs as you enter the car. As stated above, it can fill up. Where are you boarding? I haven't been in a bedroom, but in a roomette, there is very limited room for storing anything. The "closet" could hold 2-3 items and stacking a small carry-on on a shelf-like area worked for me. I suspect a bedroom would have more options.

The buses do try to leave as quickly as they get boarded so I would suggest doing the carry-on if you can. You might also want to check how long for the next bus if you want to make use of checked bags.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive
I'd second the idea of checking on next buses. The Capitol Corridor route has many trains a day with bus connections to SF so it would seem like an issue of whether you are wiling to hang out in Emeryville for awhile.

Also, since the Thruway service is "unreserved" I think you can use your ticket on any bus.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
EMY is the bus transfer point for both the CZ and the CCs. Unfortunately, Amtrak does not show any other bus options for the CZ. Since this is a guaranteed connection, the bus will wait for the CZ to arrive.

However, there are several CC bus connections (5) after the scheduled arrival time of the CZ, so you should be able to hop any of those. Depending upon the load, you may be able to get your bus to wait for bags to come available, should you choose to check bags (just don't tell them when making the rez).
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hyatt
Thanks everyone for the info. We are starting the trip at Chicago Union Station.

Is it posted anywhere what time other buses depart? Are we talking about possibly waiting an hour, or several hours?

One solution I came up with was to send two adults and the baby on the connecting bus and have the other two adults wait for the checked baggage and then take Uber to the hotel. (utilizing sign up/referral bonus).
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by waterandwoods
Thanks everyone for the info. We are starting the trip at Chicago Union Station.

Is it posted anywhere what time other buses depart? Are we talking about possibly waiting an hour, or several hours?

One solution I came up with was to send two adults and the baby on the connecting bus and have the other two adults wait for the checked baggage and then take Uber to the hotel. (utilizing sign up/referral bonus).
I don't have the times right at hand, but search Amtrak for SAC/SF and you will see the bus connections at EMY. As I recall there is one just less than an hour after the scheduled arrival of the CZ with about four others up to about 10pm. One issue with the LD trains is timing. CZ appears to have been on time, or close there to, the last few days, but you never know. The other variable is how long to retrieve your luggage from Amtrak.

However, if you've got four adults travelling, I would guess you'd be able to wrangle your luggage onto the train yourself without too much hassle. Boarding at CHI should have plenty of room in the luggage racks just inside the door. The advantage here is you will have access in case you want something during the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.