Any recent Coast Starlight info?

Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Limited Pacific Parlour Car service Jan 8 - Mar 14 due to maintenance.

Only available on CS 14 from Los Angeles on Thursdays and Fridays, and on CS 11 from Seattle on Saturdays and Sundays.

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/pacific-parlour-car-temporarily-removed.html
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by boxo
Limited Pacific Parlour Car service Jan 8 - Mar 14 due to maintenance.

Only available on CS 14 from Los Angeles on Thursdays and Fridays, and on CS 11 from Seattle on Saturdays and Sundays.

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/pacific...y-removed.html
Multiple well-placed sources have posted that the Pacific Parlour cars are being permanently removed from service due to cost and maintenance issues. The last Coast Starlight trips with a Pacific Parlour in the consist will be the Friday, February 2 trip northbound from LA to Seattle followed by the Sunday, February 4 southbound trip from Seattle to LA.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Confirming the information from NovaEngr, the Pacific Parlour cars are apparently gone, the first big casualty of the Anderson administration (aside from a LOT of senior, experienced managers who were either terminated or strongly encouraged to retire at year's end.) It is not just that the Pacific Parlour cars are going, but Amtrak is not replacing this service with other cars, the entire service is disappearing. For those who ride the Coast Starlight, this is a big thing. One of the reasons that people pay the big $$$ for sleeper accommodations on this train is because it has been the premier long-distance train... an example of what other trains should be.

Amtrak put out an earlier notice that the cars would return to daily service in March, this decision to eliminate the service apparently was a fast moving directive from top management and supersedes the earlier notice.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by screeton
One of the reasons that people pay the big $$$ for sleeper accommodations on this train is because it has been the premier long-distance train... an example of what other trains should be.
That's disappointing.
I've done the Coast Starlight and the Zephyr and while the latter's scenery was more stunning, I loved the lounge aspect and people I met on the Starlight. The Parlour Car was a huge part of that. I spent way too much of my Zephyr time in my sleeper.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:34 pm

Well, hire an ex-airline CEO and the race to the bottom begins. I expect that airline-style microwaved food may be the next thing to come.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flitcraft
Well, hire an ex-airline CEO and the race to the bottom begins. I expect that airline-style microwaved food may be the next thing to come.
Amtrak tried that some years back. It was not popular and I think they realised that they were not just selling transport. However, memories are short.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Richard Anderson is also credited with doing a Gordon Bethune-like job of turning Delta into the profitable carrier it is today. So far as I know, Amtrak has never made a profit in its 47 year history. Dating back to the Reagan days, more than a few in government would like to quit funding Amtrak altogether - or at the very least downsize it to just a few short intercity routes primarily in the Northeast. The factors that in the 1950s and 60s contributed to the downfall of the American passenger train as a mainstream consideration for long distance intercity transport are even more pronounced today. I love the Pacific Parlour Car as much as anyone but perhaps Anderson's moves are what it'll take to keep long distance train travel alive here in America, much less keep keep Amtrak operating at all.

Also worth noting - those Pacific Parlour cars date back to the 1950s. More than a few cars from of Amtrak's first generation bi-level Superliner equipment are now approaching 40 years old, having entered service on the Empire Builder in October 1979. If many in congress aren't overly keen to continue funding Amtrak, I can't imagine they'll be remotely enthusiastic about the cost of purchasing a couple hundred new cars. Remember, we've got a wall to build!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 19, 2018 at 5:30 pm
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
It's long been said that sleepers cover their above-the-rail costs at a profitable level. The PPCs are an amenity for sleeper passengers, so I would assume their expenses are classified under the sleeper category. I wonder if in that light they're a net positive or net negative for Amtrak. I guess removing them isn't going to lower the loads on sleeper class on the CS more than a small fraction, so removing them would have a net increase on the bottom line, but still, if they're not the difference between sleeper class making or losing money, I'm not sure it could really be argued that removing them is going to be the difference between Amtrak continuing and discontinuing their long-distance services.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: ANA Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG
I wish we had more notice on this - the PPC was one of those things on my Amtrak bucket list. Announcing their permanent elimination when there's only 2 round trips/week *and* less than a month out is pretty cold.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
The Coastal Starlight has been a great train. I've flown across from Europe to ride it more than once and included it as centrepiece of other trips. The PPCs are what made it. Just a wonderful place to be and an option to have. Unfortunately, CS it lost its PPCs for a while a year or two back, so I cancelled and have avoided since. I no longer recommended it to friends.
Now this! Aaargh. Doesn't building / re-furbing PPCs and sleeper carriages maintain US jobs and skills?
The Zephyr remains a great train. But it has no PPCs and thus fewer options by way of where to sit / eat / chill. I can't imagine coming over to ride a CS without a PPC.

What a shame!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, the PPCs are what help make the CS a joy to ride. Eliminating them is like removing the living room from your house. Yes, you can watch TV in the bedroom and cook/eat in the kitchen, but having a place to entertain and/or just relax is important too. Long distance trains need something more than being cooped up in a room for days on end. By making these announcements so late in the game puts their staff scrambling to make the changes (it's not as simple as removing the cars from the consist) but also does not allow any time for customer comments or time to consider them. Once the train starts to derail, it's pretty much an ugly train wreck (how's that for a good analogy?).
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, the PPCs are what help make the CS a joy to ride. Eliminating them is like removing the living room from your house. Yes, you can watch TV in the bedroom and cook/eat in the kitchen, but having a place to entertain and/or just relax is important too. Long distance trains need something more than being cooped up in a room for days on end. By making these announcements so late in the game puts their staff scrambling to make the changes (it's not as simple as removing the cars from the consist) but also does not allow any time for customer comments or time to consider them. Once the train starts to derail, it's pretty much an ugly train wreck (how's that for a good analogy?).
Well, there's still the Sightseer Lounge car, which actually has better views out the larger, curtain-free windows (although the seats are less cozy). Nothing's stopping sleeper passengers from using it on the CS, CZ, or any other bi-level trains...
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
but still, if they're (Pacific Parlour Cars) not the difference between sleeper class making or losing money, I'm not sure it could really be argued that removing them is going to be the difference between Amtrak continuing and discontinuing their long-distance services.
While I can't speak for others, that's certainly not the point I was trying to make. Given the higher maintenance costs of the PPCs combined with their long track record of unreliability/unavailability due to maintenance related issues, retiring them seems like only one of many cost cutting efforts that will ultimately serve Amtrak well. BTW, does anyone here know if there are any reports/evidence indicating whether or not the Pacific Parlour Cars ever actually increased ridership or otherwise enhanced profitability on the Coast Starlight since their introduction in the late 1990s? I'm for whatever serves Amtrak best over the long run and given the current climate, I'd rather see the PPCs retired than see a major downgrading of food services aboard Amtrak trains. Or worse - route cutting a la the Desert Wind and the Pioneer back in the 90s.

The "experiment" currently being conducted aboard the Silver Star (New York to Miami) where the dining car has been removed leaving passengers to make due with snack food from the Caf Car is of greater concern to me as it affects ALL passengers, not just those in First Class. Apparently the status of its implementation has now gone from "trial basis" to "indefinite". The Cardinal (New York to Chicago) already has a Caf Car serving microwaved meals to sleeping car passengers and the City of New Orleans has also suffered downgraded service.

On long distance overnight trains, Amtrak passengers are a "captive audience" for far longer than any airplane flight. A quality food and dining experience is not only a cherished and integral part of long distance train travel, but also an important one. Degrading or outright removing that might very well be the final straw between choosing to take the train or purchasing an airplane ticket regardless of class traveled. This is especially true along the west coast where airfares between LA Area/Bay Area airports and PDX/SEA are as competitively priced as any in the nation. The potential for diminished ridership due to cuts like this would seem more likely to be the difference between Amtrak continuing and discontinuing its long-distance services. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out in the coming year...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 24, 2018 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:24 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Disappointing news. I've done the Coast Starlight in Coach before, and was planning to do a trip this spring with a sleeper in order to see/use the PPC, but I'm reconsidering now. (Though I suppose at least there's still a dining car for now...)
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended

I was planning a Coast Starlight trip and am sad to hear this. Is it still worth the bother? While I'm doing it for some RnR, I don't want to be stuck in my cabin alone the whole time with breaks only for meals. That sounds like prison.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.