Any recent Coast Starlight info?

Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by cwc
Next Thursday we will be on the Coast Starlight 6 people (2senior, 3 adult & 1 six yr). We booked 2 roomette and 1 bedroom. The senior is in the bedroom & adult+kid in the roomette. I was told the train configuration only have bedroom upstairs and roomette downstairs. We cannot have all the roomette & bedroom together (either all upstairs or all downstairs). Is this true?
Check back often to see if anything has opened up. Also, ask the attendant if anything is available. Downstairs may be closer to the facilities and has less sway, but is closer to the track so a bit more noise. Also, there is no through traffic downstairs.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:08 am
cwc

Thanks all. We are in different car (1431 for the roomette & 1432 for the bedroom). It seems like all the upstairs roomette is sold out.

A couple more question:
1. Price drop, so I called to get price adjustment: For the roomettes, they charged me $47.6 for refund fee. The bedroom didn't charge me anything. Is that correct?
2. The reservation agent was very adamant that there is no "two bedroom configuration" only bedroom + roomette to make a bedroom suit. But the Amtrak website said bedroom suite configuration is with 2 bedroom.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by cwc
Thanks all. We are in different car (1431 for the roomette & 1432 for the bedroom). It seems like all the upstairs roomette is sold out.

A couple more question:
1. Price drop, so I called to get price adjustment: For the roomettes, they charged me $47.6 for refund fee. The bedroom didn't charge me anything. Is that correct?
2. The reservation agent was very adamant that there is no "two bedroom configuration" only bedroom + roomette to make a bedroom suit. But the Amtrak website said bedroom suite configuration is with 2 bedroom.
You had a bad agent. For the price adjustment, the agent needed to issue a voucher (no fee) versus a refund (fee). Second, a suite between a bedroom and a roomette is the one that is impossible. No roomette adjoins a bedroom. Bedroom suites on a Superliner can be made between Bedrooms D & E and B & C. Here is the link to the Amtrak site's description of a Superliner bedroom suite:
https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...=1241210576129
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:43 pm

Of course, both A&B or C&D in a single car must be open at the time of booking to do a bedroom suite. It is quite possible that the combination wasn't, which is why it was impossible to do. This close to departure, that is very likely the case.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by zephyr17
Of course, both A&B or C&D in a single car must be open at the time of booking to do a bedroom suite. It is quite possible that the combination wasn't, which is why it was impossible to do. This close to departure, that is very likely the case.
The A room is not able to be converted into a suite. Only B & C and D & E can have the sliding door between the rooms opened to convert it into a suite.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
You might want to check the Passenger Train board on Trainorders.com. Recent postings there indicate that only one PPC is in service, your post below this one not withstanding. The people who post on Trainorders are consistently reliable, in terms of their information on points like this.
That was the case since January (they were running the car on only one train per week), however full PPC service was scheduled to be restored this month. Initially, full service was scheduled to resume March 1, but it was pushed back to mid-month. To my knowledge, all the PPCs are now back in service.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:34 am

My spouse and I booked a Bedroom on Coast Starlight LAX-SEA for Sept. My eyes almost popped out of my head when I found out the price: $1400 +/-! I can't believe people regularly pay this but then for the last 17 yrs I've become expert at working every deal - using ff/codes/free nights/mistakes or whatever. Looks like I'll used 51k SPG points for the trip. I'm not going to squander a hard pull for the Amtrak card. Still blows my mind that in the real world people pay the big bucks for travel.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:33 am
cwc

Hi acker,

I was totally shock too by the price when I booked my April trip back in Feb. However, if you are diligent (or obsessive in my case), you can check the price everyday with http://biketrain.net/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php and do price adjustment when fare drop.

This was my strategy traveling with 6people, since the in-law MUST have a bathroom (grandpa needs to go in the middle of the night). I booked them a bedroom (982$bedroom). My sister, husband, daughter & I were booked in 2 roomette (318$/roomette).

Two weeks ago, the roomette price drop to $199, I called Amtrak got a refund $95/roomette (less the processing fee). Yesterday, bedroom price drop $579(but only 1 bedroom at that price), so in-law bedroom refund at $403, no processing fee . Today, one more bedroom open up at $579, I upgraded my roomette to bedroom. I was able to move everyone into the same car and on the same floor Total SCORED!!!

Now, if we can just find the B&C or D&E together to open the door between them, we will be all set, if not, we will still have fun trip. BTW, how is roomette 9? It is next to the door, will it be super noise? Thanks all!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by AlanB
The A room is not able to be converted into a suite. Only B & C and D & E can have the sliding door between the rooms opened to convert it into a suite.
Yeah, I know, I had it right in my first post, but dashed off the update that the rooms had to free too fast.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:15 pm

cwc,

Great news about price drops. I look forward to checking obsessively over the next 6 months . I'm a SWA gal, so it's second nature.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cwc
... you can check the price everyday with http://biketrain.net/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php and do price adjustment when fare drop.
You can also set up a fare watch at amsnag and get notified when the price drops. This does require registering at the site and (obviously) providing an email address. You get a notification whenever any fare (coach, business, roomette, bedroom, family room) drops from anything to anything lower, so there can be a lot of uninteresting notifications.

Two weeks ago, the roomette price drop to $199, I called Amtrak got a refund $95/roomette (less the processing fee).
It used to be, and I believe still is, that you can get 100% refund in the form of a voucher. The voucher needs to be used within a year. That means booking a trip, not necessarily making a trip, and the reservation does not need to be in the original passenger's name. In other words, even though the voucher is in your name, you could book a trip for a relative or friend.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by serpens
You can also set up a fare watch at amsnag and get notified when the price drops. This does require registering at the site and (obviously) providing an email address. You get a notification whenever any fare (coach, business, roomette, bedroom, family room) drops from anything to anything lower, so there can be a lot of uninteresting notifications.

It used to be, and I believe still is, that you can get 100% refund in the form of a voucher. The voucher needs to be used within a year. That means booking a trip, not necessarily making a trip, and the reservation does not need to be in the original passenger's name. In other words, even though the voucher is in your name, you could book a trip for a relative or friend.
Wow, it just keeps getting better. Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:50 pm
cwc

Meal time?

We will be boarding in SJC at 8:11pm. Will we get dinner? Also, what is the operating hour for the café? If we can buy some midnight snacks.

Oh, we have 6people in different room, I wonder if we can all seat together to have meals or they just do from room to room.

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by cwc
We will be boarding in SJC at 8:11pm. Will we get dinner? Also, what is the operating hour for the café? If we can buy some midnight snacks.

Oh, we have 6people in different room, I wonder if we can all seat together to have meals or they just do from room to room.
If the train is on-time or close to it, you should get dinner. Assuming you are in a sleeping car, a good car attendant will have dinner reservations waiting for you. Tables in the Dining Car are for four. Ideally, they will seat you four at one table and two across the aisle. Even with reservations, parties are seated at available spots as they arrive.

The cafe should be open until sometime around 11:00 to midnight, reopening at 6am.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by boxo
I am doing SAC-SNS Wednesday next week and am debating whether or not to do Business Class (+$25) for the experience. Any changes/improvements since the last post 1.5 years ago?
At this point, I don't remember what I read about previous experiences here, but I must say it was not worth it. Part of the problem was I hardly slept two hours before the 6:35 am departure and was very very tired. But the car attendant was a surly one. She was confrontational, defensive, and hardly ever checked in. The highlight was catching sight of the guy across from me snorting coke off the web of his hand a few minutes before he got out at SJC. I guess that bit of entertainment was what I got for the +$25 minus $6 food voucher.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.