Wiki Posts
Search

Coach - Advance Purchase Smart?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive
Coach - Advance Purchase Smart?

I'm planning an Amtrak trip around the country when my job ends in April. Most of my legs are only about 24 hours with several days in between each.

As such, I plan to just go coach and save money.

I'd prefer to buy each leg once I've determined it's time to move on from the last place I stopped rather than purchasing in advance and locking myself into a certain length of time at each stop.

Here is my question. Am I going to cost myself a bunch of money by doing that? I've never paid much attention to how coach fares work.

Does buying in advance lower the fares/waiting til near departure raise fares?

If so, is the difference significant?

Thanks for everyones help.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:59 pm

Generally fares are cheaper if purchased 2-3 months in advance. You definitely want to avoid holidays (or buy well in advance). Fares are not refundable, but if you cancel before the trip, Amtrak will issue you a voucher to use up to 1 yr later.

I would recommend testing your pricing now and comparing it to when you really want to go. If the savings are significant, then book your best guess. You will be able to adjust later, but probably at a higher price.

Search for sales, Smart Sales are 25% off and usually offered 2-3 weeks before travel.

There are discounts for seniors, AAA and National Rail membership (10% off, might pay to join, since you would save more than the membership fee).

Finally, might be cheaper to buy a rail pass - depends on how many stops and how long your total trip is!

Have a great Amtrak adventure!! God bless!!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
When your travel dates are flexible use the Amsnag tool to find the cheapest dates & train.

http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

It's not a given that a date farther into the future will be cheaper.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Dec 23, 2014 at 7:09 am
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

My experience is restricted to Northeast Corridor, but fares can be dramatically higher close in. My normal Thursday train is more than three times the cost, if I wait.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Greytop

Here is my question. Am I going to cost myself a bunch of money by doing that? I've never paid much attention to how coach fares work.

Does buying in advance lower the fares/waiting til near departure raise fares?

Yes, as the trains fill up, the prices go up. So in most cases, count on it going up. There are a couple trains with fixed ticket prices.

You also miss out on any promotional discounts since most of those require advance purchase.

My advice would be sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards and grab the Amtrak or Chase Rewards CC. Use the card to purchase tickets in advance. With the sign up bonus and ticket purchases, you should build a pretty sizable points balance.

When you need to adjust plans on the road, cancel the booked ticket. Redeem the points for the last minute booking when the fare would be prohibitive. In most cases, you'd take a penalty to get a cash refund, but it's usually less of a price difference than rebooking the original ticket.

Reward tickets can be changed right up until departure by phone. Depending on your plans and the card sign up bonus, you may be able to just pay for most of them that way and still have the flexibility.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by uaflr
Fares are not refundable, but if you cancel before the trip, Amtrak will issue you a voucher to use up to 1 yr later.
Actually, many reserved coach fares can be fully refunded if cancelled more than 24 hours before departure. It might be worth checking out Amtrak's refund policy webpage:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241267362242
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by Greytop
I'm planning an Amtrak trip around the country when my job ends in April. Most of my legs are only about 24 hours with several days in between each.

As such, I plan to just go coach and save money.
Even though your trips are short, you may want to check the prices to add a roomette if you will be on the train form multiple meals, especially if you are travelling with someone. All of you meals are included with any sleeper accommodation. My brother was able to get a rommette on the CA Zephyr from Denver to SLC for $99. This was a bargain for 3 meals for two adult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.