Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak Adirondack

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
So after September 3, it'll go back to Penn?

Separately, is the entire train only Coach?
Yes and yes.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:16 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

What time do you recommend to hop on the train for the fall foliage? Late October? I know it depends on the season, but just general speaking.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSun
What time do you recommend to hop on the train for the fall foliage? Late October? I know it depends on the season, but just general speaking.
I grew up in Central NY State. It's probably going to be mid-October if not a little earlier depending on the region/elevation.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:32 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
There is a snack car. It appears that they are currently double catering from ALB to Grand Central, as there was not a whole lot available for the morning trip back to Albany. The attendant said they would be re-stocking during the Albany stop.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:24 am

No catering is done at GCT, Amtrak has no storage area and since MNRR stopped their own alcohol sales, no refrigeration too...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Sadly yes. I believe it's Amtrak's longest train without a Business Class or Sleeper car.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
Sadly yes. I believe it's Amtrak's longest train without a Business Class or Sleeper car.
How bad is it, really? Mrs 999 and I really like trains and the southbound run would fit very nicely indeed into some plans we're currently putting together. But 11+ hours in a sardine-class seat? Yes, you can get up and walk around, but still ...

Amtrak seem to be very cagey about specifics: no photos, no leg-room dimensions, etc. I'm trying to persuade myself that it's worth a shot but I'm not really a gambler and would hate to be wrong.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:52 am

Views of Hudson Valley are nice, but it is 11 hours. Fly.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by henry999
Amtrak seem to be very cagey about specifics: no photos, no leg-room dimensions, etc. I'm trying to persuade myself that it's worth a shot but I'm not really a gambler and would hate to be wrong.
They're standard Amfleet Coach cars, generally a mixture of Amfleet 1 and Amfleet 2, all in the long-distance configuration.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I took the train round trip from NYC to Montreal a few months ago. Nice scenery, but as you progress north the train goes slower and slower and finally slowest of all within Canada. This dynamic is psychologically not the best. If you are going to Montreal you are put in 2 cars at the back of the train. These cars have more legroom with leg rests than the standard coach Northeast Direct cars. The cars in front of the cafe were the higher density standard coach cars. At least the was how my train was configured in both directions.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by henry999
How bad is it, really? Mrs 999 and I really like trains and the southbound run would fit very nicely indeed into some plans we're currently putting together. But 11+ hours in a sardine-class seat? Yes, you can get up and walk around, but still ...

From my trip in 2015 on the Adirondack. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever sat in but I can tell you I was a lot happier to arrive into Montreal than I am when I'm on a Sleeper or Business Class trip.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:54 pm

Looks like they put you in an Amfleet 1 with smaller seat pitch. When I rode the Adirondack around the same time (2014 or so), they were putting all the Montreal passengers in an Amfleet 1, while they using the long distance configured Amfleet IIs with greater seat pitch for the intermediate points. The reason? They wanted all the international passengers in one car and the Amfleet 1 is higher capacity.

Hope they've stopped that by now and use the Amfleet IIs the way they are supposed to and for the reason they are on the train in the first place. For longer haul passengers.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by zephyr17
Looks like they put you in an Amfleet 1 with smaller seat pitch. When I rode the Adirondack around the same time (2014 or so), they were putting all the Montreal passengers in an Amfleet 1, while they using the long distance configured Amfleet IIs with greater seat pitch for the intermediate points. The reason? They wanted all the international passengers in one car and the Amfleet 1 is higher capacity.

Hope they've stopped that by now and use the Amfleet IIs the way they are supposed to and for the reason they are on the train in the first place. For longer haul passengers.
The practice of cramming Montreal-bound passengers in siloed car(s) was continuing as of 2018. Conductors did not even permit checking other cars to find two seats together if traveling with a companion (from NYP, many passengers are in it for views.) It was a bad experience, and I'd discourage anyone from voluntarily taking this route.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:55 am

update on Montreal customs preclearance - the best case scenario is at least 2 years away.

https://www.timesunion.com/business/...e-14367713.php
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by money_opp
update on Montreal customs preclearance - the best case scenario is at least 2 years away.
I don't understand why it would take that long. One just needs to eliminate the Saint-Lambert stop and have officers who work part time at the airport to sometimes hop over to Gare Centrale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.