Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak Adirondack

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
That was where things got awful. We ended up standing still for a while before Schenectady, then we sat just outside the Albany station for around an hour because there was no platform for us. Then, when we got into Albany, the train crew said we'd be there for just ten minutes to switch the engine - of course, that was nowhere near true, as we were there for closer to 40.

We finally ended up at Penn almost an hour and a half late.

Had it not been for the Schenectady/Albany problems, we would probably have gotten in on time if not even a bit early. So if the ongoing construction can mitigate the delays, this route could be a winner. But I guess it's not there yet.
The ongoing construction will indeed help some of the things that hurt your return trip. Between Schenectady and Albany there is currently only a single track. When trains aren't on schedule, this causes major problems as it can take 15 to 20 minutes before the track is cleared to run in the other direction. I believe that construction has started on putting back a second track that was taken out many years ago.

And at the station, currently there are only 3 tracks that hit a platform. However, the station was designed to have 4 tracks, two on each platform. Currently the platform closest to the station only has 1 track. Work has started on finally putting in that 4th track and reworking the various approach tracks & switches to accommodate that new 4th track.

Both of these improvements will help considerably in decreasing the types of delays that you encountered.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Six hours scheduled for Chicago-Detroit northern suburbs with service just 3x daily, and 33% on-time perfromance at that, when one can drive in 4:30?

Delta hits about 84% on-time, within 15 minutes, for its mainline services. If Amtrak hits 80% within 30 minutes on its regional services I will again consider it a viable alternative.
But not everybody wants to/is able to drive. Hopefully, the ongoing track improvements and higher speed will make the train more competitive on this route.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by AlanB
The ongoing construction will indeed help some of the things that hurt your return trip. Between Schenectady and Albany there is currently only a single track. When trains aren't on schedule, this causes major problems as it can take 15 to 20 minutes before the track is cleared to run in the other direction. I believe that construction has started on putting back a second track that was taken out many years ago.

And at the station, currently there are only 3 tracks that hit a platform. However, the station was designed to have 4 tracks, two on each platform. Currently the platform closest to the station only has 1 track. Work has started on finally putting in that 4th track and reworking the various approach tracks & switches to accommodate that new 4th track.

Both of these improvements will help considerably in decreasing the types of delays that you encountered.
Thanks for the background. You seem to know a great deal about what they're doing up there - is there any scheduled date for completion of the work? I think I heard/read somewhere that it would be sometime next year?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:54 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Thanks for the background. You seem to know a great deal about what they're doing up there - is there any scheduled date for completion of the work? I think I heard/read somewhere that it would be sometime next year?
Still a ways to go - see the bottom of the article - but we're all looking forward to the improvements:
http://www.timesunion.com/business/a...ed-5816564.php
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:02 pm

I really hope Amtrak or VIA Rail can bring back the overnight train schedule between Montreal and NYC. The current Adirondack train is too popular and overcrowding over the years.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by money_opp
I really hope Amtrak or VIA Rail can bring back the overnight train schedule between Montreal and NYC. The current Adirondack train is too popular and overcrowding over the years.
I have not seen the train packed when I've taken in. The route has higher loads during the fall season, but many people fly or drive since the train takes so long.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Hi again

So I'm thinking of taking the train back up to Montreal over the winter (hey, it's cheap), and I noticed that there are several days around Thanksgiving when the Adirondack turns into a bus between Albany and Montreal.

I assume this is related to the new platform/second track work they're doing? Does anyone in the area (paging cfw or AlanB ) know how long these disruptions will last?

It strikes me as odd that they'd turn this into a bus ride all the way up from Albany because of Albany-Schenectady construction - although I suppose maybe the job requires that they temporarily sever the link to the southern leg in order to work.

Anyway, just wondering. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi again

So I'm thinking of taking the train back up to Montreal over the winter (hey, it's cheap), and I noticed that there are several days around Thanksgiving when the Adirondack turns into a bus between Albany and Montreal.

I assume this is related to the new platform/second track work they're doing? Does anyone in the area (paging cfw or AlanB ) know how long these disruptions will last?

It strikes me as odd that they'd turn this into a bus ride all the way up from Albany because of Albany-Schenectady construction - although I suppose maybe the job requires that they temporarily sever the link to the southern leg in order to work.

Anyway, just wondering. Thanks in advance for any info.
Check out the Service Notice on Amtrak.com:

http://www.amtrak.com/adirondack-train
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
Check out the Service Notice on Amtrak.com:

http://www.amtrak.com/adirondack-train
Yes, it just says "track work" - hence my questions above.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it just says "track work" - hence my questions above.
Didn't you ask how long the disruption would last? The link above tells you that.

Since all other trains north and west of Albany are operating normally those days, it does not appear appear to be due to ALB <-> SDY construction. (My apologies if you already knew that as well. )
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
I'm sure it's not related to the platform work; as the train would still need to get to the platform so that people can then board the bus.

This disruption is being caused by Canadian Pacific doing work on their tracks between Schenectady and the Canadian border.

According to the service notice at Amtrak, its only for 2 days, the 18th & 19th.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlanB
I'm sure it's not related to the platform work; as the train would still need to get to the platform so that people can then board the bus.

This disruption is being caused by Canadian Pacific doing work on their tracks between Schenectady and the Canadian border.

According to the service notice at Amtrak, its only for 2 days, the 18th & 19th.
Thanks! This actually seems like it might be a longer-term project. While as noted above the service alert on the website only mentions two days next week, I was inputting odd dates in December (don't remember which ones) and got a little alert icon next to the train number when it pulled up fares, saying that a similar bus setup at Albany was in the cards for that day.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Bumping an old thread but seems the most relevant one - does Adirondack serve NY Penn or Grand Central? I'm seeing conflicting info online!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:36 am

Empire Service, Ethan Allen, Adirondack and Maple Leaf Trains Will Stop at Grand Central Terminal instead of Penn Station

Effective May 26 through September 3, 2018
https://www.amtrak.com/alert/select-...t-not-nyp.html

And the late for sure Lake Shore Limited will not operate south of Albany.

While the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge span has been put back, they still working on aligning and testing it and further work on the west side "empire" tunnel is being done.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
So after September 3, it'll go back to Penn?

Separately, is the entire train only Coach?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.