Wiki Posts
Search

Meals In Acela F?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Meals In Acela F?

I have a class upgrade coupon to burn before the end of the month, and I need to take a quick trip to Providence sometime in the next week or two. I am leaving from Boston. Will I still be served a meal on such a short trip? I've always wanted to ride the Acela in F. I know it would be a waste, but it would be a bigger waste to let the coupon expire.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:09 am

Let them know when you board and it shouldn't be any issue, at least out of BOS. They may be more interested in cleaning up on your return leg though since BOS is probably the end of their trip too.

I've had a meal between WAS and BWI, only about a 30 minute trip, with no problem at all.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by diburning
I have a class upgrade coupon to burn before the end of the month, and I need to take a quick trip to Providence sometime in the next week or two. I am leaving from Boston. Will I still be served a meal on such a short trip? I've always wanted to ride the Acela in F. I know it would be a waste, but it would be a bigger waste to let the coupon expire.
Don't set your expectations too high. In fact, any of the crap food you can buy at South Station -- be it McDonald's, or the faux Chinese place, or the faux Cajun place, will be better than the crap food you might get on the train. Personally, I'd just grab a Chacarero on Arch St., ride in the quiet car, and throw away the upgrade certificate. If you do ignore me and upgrade to first, however, don't forget that you can use the Club Acela and load up on free pretzels, goldfish and Entenmann's pastries, too!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Amtrak Select
It really depends on how busy the car is and how much the OBS feels like hustling. It's about half an hour to PVD. I have been on trains where they have not even taken orders for food until PVD, but then on other trains they have had everyone's food to them by PVD.

I think the most important thing - if you want food - is to just mention it when you board. If you get a redcap you can often board 20 minutes prior to departure and they generally do drink service upon boarding. If you mention it ot them at that time, you might even be able to order your food before you even leave BOS.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: Independent
Keep in mind too that there are two stops between South Station and PVD - Back Bay (which doesn't really count as it is so close to South Station) and 128. I've never asked for a meal on just this section, but it would seem to me to be a little too short to even finish a meal. Then again maybe I am a slow eater.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Keep in mind too that there are two stops between South Station and PVD - Back Bay (which doesn't really count as it is so close to South Station) and 128. I've never asked for a meal on just this section, but it would seem to me to be a little too short to even finish a meal. Then again maybe I am a slow eater.
It's 35 minutes from BOS-PVD on the Acela. Not sure why the two intermediate stops are relevant; that's still plenty of time (assuming they serve it promptly) to eat the TV dinner they serve should one want to.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Southbound, BBY and RTE and board-only stations. You cannot buy a ticket from BOS-BBY or BOS-RTE. BOS-PVD is plenty of time for a meal, if you let them know when boarding.

That being said, I have boarded early at BOS (~20 minutes before departure) and had my meal served before BBY. I was finished and working by RTE!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by ne52
Let them know when you board and it shouldn't be any issue, at least out of BOS. They may be more interested in cleaning up on your return leg though since BOS is probably the end of their trip too.

I've had a meal between WAS and BWI, only about a 30 minute trip, with no problem at all.
I was denied a meal from WAS to BWI in Acela First Class on May 7, 2014.
They said my trip was to short to serve me a meal. I believed them until
reading your post above....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.