Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Existing 14 -> 28 connections after 4/15?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

This was mentioned briefly on another thread, but it went by pretty fast without much comment. Seems important to me, so I thought I'd ask in a new thread - it sounds like Amtrak is going to revise the Empire Builder schedule. In particular, after April 15th, train 28 (EB Builder) will now leave PDX two hours before the Starlight (#14) arrives .
This begs the question, what's going to happen to those of us (like me!) with existing 14 -> 28 reservations ??

Last edited by Robert Armstrong; Mar 29, 2014 at 9:18 am
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Call Julie at

1 800 USA Rail

Bob H
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
Call Julie ...
Umm, is that a serious suggestion? I think this is beyond Julie's pay grade...

Just for fun, though, I did call. Julie reports the departure time of train 28 from PDX as 4:45, which is the old schedule. I don't think Julie has been briefed on the changes yet. She's always so gosh darned perky, though - it always makes me smile to talk to her!

I'm sure ultimately I will have to talk to an agent, however I've found that there is some variation in the training of different agents. If you talk to three agents about edge conditions like this, you'll get about five different stories. I find it helpful to be an informed consumer and know what the real Amtrak policy is before I call. That's why I ask here...
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
I just tried booking San Luis to Minot for 4/28 and it shows no same day connection.

I'd call the PR guy (Mark M) whose name is on the press release. (I think he's still based in Chicago).

Now if you're looking for a stop over in Portland or Seattle..... <lol>

and the situation is likely to continue for some time

see

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/...t=Full+Article

Bob H

Last edited by BobH; Mar 31, 2014 at 6:44 am
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
Now if you're looking for a stop over in Portland or Seattle..... <lol>
I'd take that deal if Amtrak was willing to do it without trying to turn it into two separate trips. It means we'd have to change our Starlight trip to be a day earlier, which is OK if there's a room available. The sleepers tend to fill up fast, though, for summer travel.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by Robert Armstrong
I'd take that deal if Amtrak was willing to do it without trying to turn it into two separate trips. It means we'd have to change our Starlight trip to be a day earlier, which is OK if there's a room available. The sleepers tend to fill up fast, though, for summer travel.
I had an existing AGR award reservation for a similar trip, but going the other direction. I was able to add an overnight stay in Portland, but had to get a lead agent to approve this without adding an extra point charge. The policy is supposed to allow an overnight (at customer expense) for an existing reservation, but some agents aren't aware of this policy.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Armani
I had an existing AGR award reservation for a similar trip, but going the other direction. I was able to add an overnight stay in Portland...
Yeah, there was a special exception for that connection - there's another thread about that topic in this forum. Unfortunately that exception was very specific (and not well known by the agents, as you found out) and AFAIK there's been no such policy announced for the opposite connection.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Robert Armstrong
... AFAIK there's been no such policy announced for the opposite connection.
You might want to look at post 35 in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...builder-3.html

Originally Posted by AGR Insider
Consistent with my previous communication about Empire Builder AGR redemption travel, in this instance we will permit an overnight in PDX at the member's expense between trains 14 and 28 as part of a single redemption, during the affected period.

Anthony
Let us know how it works out.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I was in contact with AGR Insider who indicated that AGR will treat 14 to 28 starting the 15th just like 27 to 11 and allow a PDX overnight at customer expense. You'll probably have to clue in the AGR call center to the schedule mismatch when you call in, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.