Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak virgin SFO-ORD-LAX-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:58 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by skaya
We have 632 on CZ, 0330 on Chief and finally 1430 on CS. Looks good for the first two. Hopefully also the latter is not too far from the internet car.
1430 on the Starlight will be right next to the Pacific Parlour car; aka "the internet car." Don't expect to get the internet signal in your sleeping car however. And even if you're in the PPC, don't expect the internet to work at all times. It's very hit or miss once you get away from the cities and larger towns.

The PPC is next to the dining car as you move away from the engines and the Sightseer Lounge is next.

Thanks a lot here too. Wont check any bags for a 6 night trip. Only carry on, and I believe the allowances are pretty generous, and we can fit it in the roomette.
There is very little room for luggage within your room. Two small overnight bags are about all that will comfortably fit, unless you want to sleep with a bag on your bed. Your carryon bags will have to go downstairs in the public luggage rack.

Think old style phone booths like Superman would have used, push 2 and a half of them together and that's about the size of your room. This page will link you to the actual sizes of the rooms and you can even see pictures and a 3-D tour of the room.

Not trying to scare you, but this is not a big room at all. Once the beds are down, you have enough floor space left for one person to stand; barely. I find that its easier for one person to stand in the hall while the person in the top bunk gets changed and climbs up to the bed; then the other person can come in and get changed. But to coin an old phrase, you almost have to step outside the room to change your mind. :lol:
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by AlanB
1430 on the Starlight will be right next to the Pacific Parlour car; aka "the internet car." Don't expect to get the internet signal in your sleeping car however. And even if you're in the PPC, don't expect the internet to work at all times. It's very hit or miss once you get away from the cities and larger towns.

The PPC is next to the dining car as you move away from the engines and the Sightseer Lounge is next.

There is very little room for luggage within your room. Two small overnight bags are about all that will comfortably fit, unless you want to sleep with a bag on your bed. Your carryon bags will have to go downstairs in the public luggage rack.

Think old style phone booths like Superman would have used, push 2 and a half of them together and that's about the size of your room. This page will link you to the actual sizes of the rooms and you can even see pictures and a 3-D tour of the room.

Not trying to scare you, but this is not a big room at all. Once the beds are down, you have enough floor space left for one person to stand; barely. I find that its easier for one person to stand in the hall while the person in the top bunk gets changed and climbs up to the bed; then the other person can come in and get changed. But to coin an old phrase, you almost have to step outside the room to change your mind. :lol:
Thanks again. Random internet in cities is fine, at least compared to CZ and SC. I do get "rooms" are small, but I think we will be fine. Good to know what to expect. None of us are really big by any standards I guess. There is obviously the option to rebook into bedroom on the SC during our 2 night stopover. If available. Leaving carry on in the rack, except valuables/small bag then.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Congrats!

Having done all Amtrak routes, all VIA, 90% of AUS Rail, smatterings of Europe(Iberian Rail Pass), etc. "Welcome Aboard."
I am reminded of my first time sport parachuting(none of this tandem stuff)-my jumpmaster had over 10K jumps, I was envious.
"No, I am envious of you," Always trying to replicate the "first one."
I can say the same, envious of you(having been conceived in a Pullman), had a pass until age 22. Enjoy!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jake108
Having done all Amtrak routes, all VIA, 90% of AUS Rail, smatterings of Europe(Iberian Rail Pass), etc. "Welcome Aboard."
I am reminded of my first time sport parachuting(none of this tandem stuff)-my jumpmaster had over 10K jumps, I was envious.
"No, I am envious of you," Always trying to replicate the "first one."
I can say the same, envious of you(having been conceived in a Pullman), had a pass until age 22. Enjoy!
Thanks Well not fully a train virgin though, as I did the transsiberian.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Thanks a lot^ If we have upper level roomettes, will we have any need for the Sightseer lounge?

Guess we will restock on alco at the SLC stop
IMO, nothing can beat drinking a good glass of wine (or other beverage of your choice) while enjoying the scenery from a train. We typically try to bring enough wine to last the duration of a trip. Since you will be leaving from SF bay area and returning from Chicago, there should be plenty of places to stock up. There really aren't many convenint places on either route to replenish, except possibly in Denver (but I don't recall anything near the station). Utah only sells alcohol in state stores which have limited hours.

We typically buy a split of wine in the dining car during our first meal. We then take the glasses to our room to use for the duration. We haven't had any problem bringing our glasses of wine to the Sightseer lounge, but don't bring the bottle. I agree with others that you will want to spend a lot of time in the lounge, especially between Denver and SLC and through Donner Pass. The glass to ceiling windows provide a much better view of the mountains. I suggest getting there early because seats quickly fill up during these times.

Have a great trip.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I travel solo in roomettes and there is barely room in there for my tote bag. You will want to get on the train early so ensure there's room on the lower-level luggage rack for your bags. I like the lower-level rooms (less traffic, going up and down the stairs is good exercise, close to showers) for ease of getting to bags. A shopping bag is handy to carry clothing and toiletries to/from the shower. I pack very carefully to make it easy to get items out of my suitcase while it's on the hallway luggage rack. Be sure to have luggage locks on items placed in that rack.

IMO, the ideal arrangement for a party of 4 is roomettes across from each other. This can be accomplished even if you weren't assigned that configuration on the initial reservation. Simply phone Amtrak and request a change. Use the Superliner maps on this page:

http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

The Coast Starlight is an especially scenic ride north of Los Angeles, you will want to be on the west/ocean side of the train. Your trip sounds like a great plan, enjoy.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Armani
IMO, nothing can beat drinking a good glass of wine (or other beverage of your choice) while enjoying the scenery from a train. We typically try to bring enough wine to last the duration of a trip. Since you will be leaving from SF bay area and returning from Chicago, there should be plenty of places to stock up. There really aren't many convenint places on either route to replenish, except possibly in Denver (but I don't recall anything near the station). Utah only sells alcohol in state stores which have limited hours.

We typically buy a split of wine in the dining car during our first meal. We then take the glasses to our room to use for the duration. We haven't had any problem bringing our glasses of wine to the Sightseer lounge, but don't bring the bottle. I agree with others that you will want to spend a lot of time in the lounge, especially between Denver and SLC and through Donner Pass. The glass to ceiling windows provide a much better view of the mountains. I suggest getting there early because seats quickly fill up during these times.

Have a great trip.
Thanks for the insight. Was joking on restocking en route. I guess we will bring plenty from one of the wine trips in NAPA prior to start. Good tip on the glass!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne47
I travel solo in roomettes and there is barely room in there for my tote bag. You will want to get on the train early so ensure there's room on the lower-level luggage rack for your bags. I like the lower-level rooms (less traffic, going up and down the stairs is good exercise, close to showers) for ease of getting to bags. A shopping bag is handy to carry clothing and toiletries to/from the shower. I pack very carefully to make it easy to get items out of my suitcase while it's on the hallway luggage rack. Be sure to have luggage locks on items placed in that rack.

IMO, the ideal arrangement for a party of 4 is roomettes across from each other. This can be accomplished even if you weren't assigned that configuration on the initial reservation. Simply phone Amtrak and request a change. Use the Superliner maps on this page:

The Coast Starlight is an especially scenic ride north of Los Angeles, you will want to be on the west/ocean side of the train. Your trip sounds like a great plan, enjoy.
Thanks. Great tips on luggage locks and ocean view^
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne47

Btw, how do we know which direction the cars are facing from that link? Could that change, or is fully fixed?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:07 pm

Btw, how do we know which direction the cars are facing from that link? Could that change, or is fully fixed?
There is no way at all to know which direction a Superliner sleeper will be facing until the train shows up. They can and do run either end forward on any given train on any given day. Within in a single consist they frequently are not all oriented the same way. It depends on the easiest way for the coach yard to make up the consist. They will not turn a car to make it a face a certain direction.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Regarding which side of the train will be on the west, the comments above are correct in that you won't know until you get on the train. If your room isn't on the "correct" side you can sit in the observation car or Pacific Parlor car when the ocean scenery is outside.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Starting tomorrow

Last minute questions. Worth it/needed to bring pyjamas? (Have LH F unused ones which Id prefer to gift locally). Enough towels supplied for roomettes?

Tipping policy for the free meals?

Thanks to all.
Old May 15, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Starting tomorrow

Last minute questions. Worth it/needed to bring pyjamas? (Have LH F unused ones which Id prefer to gift locally). Enough towels supplied for roomettes?

Tipping policy for the free meals?

Thanks to all.
It is definitely helpful to take something to sleep in, especially for going to the bathroom or to the shower in the AM.

The towels are a little bit skimpy but they do the job.

For meals, I feel it is only fair to tip based on what the meal would have cost had I paid for it.

If the Cafe attendant in the Sightseer Lounge on the CZ is a guy named Ken, get to know him - he has some great stories.

Enjoy the trip!
Old May 15, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
I just completed a great trip on the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight, so I have some additional suggestions.
I requested and received wine glasses from my car attendants on both trains, so you can bring and enjoy your own wine. I actually observed several people in the parlor car drinking their own wine.

I highly recommend having at least one dinner in the parlor car. The food was great, the attendant heated the dinner rolls and everything tasted better. Lamb shank was so good I had it both nights. I prefer the parlor car over the sightseer lounge, but some inconsiderate people plant themselves there for the complete trip so it can be difficult to find a seat.

My only regret is that my trip is now over. Have a great trip.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks all! Checked into the conveniently located Hyatt next to Emeryville Amtrak station. Stocked up on wine, snacks and glasses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.