Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Atlanta GA -> Portland OR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Atlanta GA -> Portland OR

I'm planning my second Amtrak trip for either this spring (late March early April) or summer (July or August). I'll be taking two children with me (7 and 8 years) and would prefer a family bedroom. We'll be going from Atlanta to Portland.
Because I'll be travelling with kids, my priorities are:
- on time service,
- daytime transfers that don't disrupt sleep too much,
- plugs that work,
- interesting places to walk to on transfers,
- comfortable sleeping
I have a number of options to get from ATL -> PDX.
- I could go 19 Crescent -> 1 Sunset Limited -> 14 Coast Starlight,
- 20 Crescent -> 29 Capital Limited -> 27 Empire Builder,
- 20 Crescent -> 29 Capital Limited -> 5 California Zephyr -> 14 Coast Starlight.
Advice?

Last edited by MelloChatt; Dec 31, 2014 at 8:42 am Reason: add dates
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
For on-time performance, I would certainly avoid the empire builder (lots of reports of freight-related delays) and probably the capital limited. I don't know one way or another about the sunset limited. I can say that the coast starlight is a very nice train and route.

good luck!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
First, your first train the Crescent has no Family Bedrooms. So on that run no matter what, you'll need two rooms; be they Roomette or Bedroom. Or you'd have to call to be able to book 3 into one Bedroom, but that means two are sharing one bed. Going south to New Orleans however is a day time run, so that could be an argument for going that way.

On the other hand, going via New Orleans means that you must spend the night in New Orleans, as the Crescent arrives well after the Sunset leaves. And keep in mind, the Sunset only runs 3 days a week, so you must pick your start date carefully, unless you want to spend 2 nights in NOL. Finally, the very early arrival of the Sunset into LA could be an issue too as it's barely daytime; you'll be off the train by 6AM if its on time.

As for interesting transfers where walking works, New Orleans is good; LA not so much IMHO. Washington DC and Chicago are also both good for that. The transfer between the Zephyr and the Starlight however is again not very nice in terms of "interesting". The scenery on that run however would be the best of all the choices.

Plugs are luck of the draw, but generally they are working. Bring an outlet strip however!

For on time performance, the Empire Builder is probably the worst, but even that has improved some compared to where it was for most of this year. The other choices are generally pretty good, although things do occasionally go wrong.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
But since the OP is ending the trip in PDX, perhaps the Builder's OTP is not so much of an issue. Not a big deal, I'm guessing, to arrive at the end destination a few hours late, since no worries about making a connection. Even a very late Builder still gets you into PDX in the daytime.

That said, if you want the family bedroom on train 27, you need to book very early as that space often sells out well in advance.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:58 am

There is another option you did not mention (apologies if you ruled it out already).

19 Crescent --> 58 City of New Orleans --> 27 Builder

This will be more direct than the DC routing and will allow you to avoid the wackiness of the Sunset. Without looking at the performance statistics I would say the Crescent and CNO should have reliable OTP (on the Amtrak scale) -- I imagine there is little risk of blowing your Chicago connection to the Builder. As a bonus this routing would allow you to avoid California transfers (which can be problematic with kids).

On the other hand, the scenery is much better on the Zephyr or LA-Oakland portion of the Starlight.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: Hilton (D)
If booking on points, going via New Orleans would make it a 2-zone award versus a 3-zone via DC.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Many people deliberately mis-connect in New Orleans to have a stop over there and yes I've been there done that. Depending on how young the OP's children are, it can be an interesting place to visit.

Bob H
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etna
If booking on points, going via New Orleans would make it a 2-zone award versus a 3-zone via DC.
Yes, I just realized that, thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
Many people deliberately mis-connect in New Orleans to have a stop over there and yes I've been there done that. Depending on how young the OP's children are, it can be an interesting place to visit.

Bob H
They're under 10
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobR
There is another option you did not mention (apologies if you ruled it out already).

19 Crescent --> 58 City of New Orleans --> 27 Builder

This will be more direct than the DC routing and will allow you to avoid the wackiness of the Sunset. Without looking at the performance statistics I would say the Crescent and CNO should have reliable OTP (on the Amtrak scale) -- I imagine there is little risk of blowing your Chicago connection to the Builder. As a bonus this routing would allow you to avoid California transfers (which can be problematic with kids).

On the other hand, the scenery is much better on the Zephyr or LA-Oakland portion of the Starlight.
I couldn't get that option to show up on the amtrak online portal...
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlanB
First, your first train the Crescent has no Family Bedrooms. So on that run no matter what, you'll need two rooms; be they Roomette or Bedroom. Or you'd have to call to be able to book 3 into one Bedroom, but that means two are sharing one bed. Going south to New Orleans however is a day time run, so that could be an argument for going that way.

On the other hand, going via New Orleans means that you must spend the night in New Orleans, as the Crescent arrives well after the Sunset leaves. And keep in mind, the Sunset only runs 3 days a week, so you must pick your start date carefully, unless you want to spend 2 nights in NOL. Finally, the very early arrival of the Sunset into LA could be an issue too as it's barely daytime; you'll be off the train by 6AM if its on time.

As for interesting transfers where walking works, New Orleans is good; LA not so much IMHO. Washington DC and Chicago are also both good for that. The transfer between the Zephyr and the Starlight however is again not very nice in terms of "interesting". The scenery on that run however would be the best of all the choices.

Plugs are luck of the draw, but generally they are working. Bring an outlet strip however!

For on time performance, the Empire Builder is probably the worst, but even that has improved some compared to where it was for most of this year. The other choices are generally pretty good, although things do occasionally go wrong.
Thanks for the advice - with the age of my kids I think that the timing of the ATL->DC->Chicago->Sanfran->PDX works well. They're small enough that sharing a bed on the Empire for one night will be ok.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
But since the OP is ending the trip in PDX, perhaps the Builder's OTP is not so much of an issue. Not a big deal, I'm guessing, to arrive at the end destination a few hours late, since no worries about making a connection. Even a very late Builder still gets you into PDX in the daytime.

That said, if you want the family bedroom on train 27, you need to book very early as that space often sells out well in advance.
Yes you're right - the final arrival time doesn't matter that much - I just don't want to miss a connection and lose the family bedroom .
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:10 pm

Are you paying or using points?

If using points, go via NOL and sty overnight on your dime. Two zones. Only train w/o family bedroom is Crescent which is a daytime trip anyway from ATL --> NOL.

If paying, consider still going via NOL. You can do daytime coach to NOL (or get a roomette for 3 - allowed in daytime and you get 3 meals each). From NOL, you can go via CONO and EB or SL and CS - whichever is cheaper and offers the family bedroom.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by MelloChatt
Thanks for the advice - with the age of my kids I think that the timing of the ATL->DC->Chicago->Sanfran->PDX works well. They're small enough that sharing a bed on the Empire for one night will be ok.
The builder from Chicago to Portland will be two nights unless Amtrak has recently been able to tear the fabric of space and time.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MelloChatt
The routing you're showing is not the Empire Builder. If you go all the way on the California Zypher and then take the Coast Starlight, you will be back tracking out of Sacramento. IF the trains are on time, you will hit CA in the morning and leave about 12 hours later. If you're running late swapping over in Sac may be a good option. Old Sac is about three blocks from the SAC station. Lots of things to do with the kids if they can last that long. There is a grassy park (last I saw) that you might be able to get them to rest during the day.

Good luck with the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.