Wiki Posts
Search

coast starlight LAX-SEA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
coast starlight LAX-SEA

What a great trip so far. 10 hours into the ride and I am hooked. Screw the UA deval., I'll transfer UR to Amtrak. More to come later.

Cheers
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Just cashed in 50,000 UR for this route, roundtrip for 4, in a bedroom. Half the points it would have taken for four roundtrip plane tickets, and we get a few meals, quality family time, and some great views. I don't think the multi-zone redemptions are as good of a value, but 50,000 UR for a ticket that sells for $2500 is not too bad. I'm hoping AGR doesn't decide to jump on the "devaluation train" anytime soon... (pun intended)
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:48 am
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Glad you are enjoying the Coast Starlight... a fabulous route and train!

Anthony
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by thegrailer
What a great trip so far. 10 hours into the ride and I am hooked. Screw the UA deval., I'll transfer UR to Amtrak. More to come later.

Cheers
So let's see, you were on the Coast Starlight from LAX to SEA, looks like you departed LAX on 11/9...which would have put you in the middle of this mess in EUG on 11/10???

About 300 travelers were delayed Sunday afternoon after police evacuated cars in Amtrak’s Coast Starlight train to investigate a possible bomb threat.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:32 pm

The man apparently was on speaker phone on his cell phone when the word “bomb” was mentioned, prompting another passenger to alert the train’s conductors, McLaughlin said.
“Someone overheard it,” said McLaughlin of the word “bomb,” and police decided it was “better to be safe than sorry.”

We have really hit rock bottom. I would love to hear the actual context of the conversation that caused all this.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
"Aw man, you should try the hot dogs from the Cafe car. They're the bomb!" *train is thrown into emergency stop and bomb squad is called in*

It's too bad Amtrak doesn't serve popcorn...
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I was on that train along with another FTer. It was quite the interesting adventure. I'll come back in a bit to provide an on-the-ground description of the events. I have some pics that I can post too after I convert them from raw to whatever can be posted here (at work making up for a missed Mon so it may be a day or so)

Cheers -

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
So let's see, you were on the Coast Starlight from LAX to SEA, looks like you departed LAX on 11/9...which would have put you in the middle of this mess in EUG on 11/10???

About 300 travelers were delayed Sunday afternoon after police evacuated cars in Amtrak’s Coast Starlight train to investigate a possible bomb threat.
Originally Posted by ne52
The man apparently was on speaker phone on his cell phone when the word “bomb” was mentioned, prompting another passenger to alert the train’s conductors, McLaughlin said.
“Someone overheard it,” said McLaughlin of the word “bomb,” and police decided it was “better to be safe than sorry.”

We have really hit rock bottom. I would love to hear the actual context of the conversation that caused all this.
Originally Posted by diburning
"Aw man, you should try the hot dogs from the Cafe car. They're the bomb!" *train is thrown into emergency stop and bomb squad is called in*

It's too bad Amtrak doesn't serve popcorn...
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Nicki Meade of Springfield, who was on the northbound train after visiting family in Klamath Falls, said she spoke with other passengers who said they had to quickly leave the train without their shoes after police with rifles entered their cars and told passengers to raise their hands over their heads.
Really?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: Amtrak Select
thegrailer, please do come back with some more info on that trip. It sounds....interesting.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
That was my first long distance train (though I only went as far as Portland, I wanted a nice dinner) and it got me hooked on long distance train travel. LAX-SLO and then Southern Oregon are some of the best scenery I've enjoyed on a trip. And then of course, the Pacific Parlor Car which is unparalleled.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:05 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Dromomaniac
Really?
Wouldn't it have been better to simply nuke the entire Pacific Northwest?

You know, out of an "abundance of caution."
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wouldn't it have been better to simply nuke the entire Pacific Northwest?

You know, out of an "abundance of caution."
No kidding. I hope when the armed officers pointed their guns at everyone the passengers didn't feel too terrorized. Oh, wait...

Still hoping to hear back from the OP with more details...
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thegrailer

Cheers
Booked a bedroom from LAX to PDX today using AGR points transferred in from UR. Really looking forward to this train trip. Did the Empire Builder and Zephyr (both Westbound) last year. Different family members have been along for each trip and ALL are talking about how they'd like to take another train trip.

Go AMTRAK!! (because airline seating is getting ridiculously tight)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.