Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles Metropolitan Lounge opening next Monday, 9/23

Los Angeles Metropolitan Lounge opening next Monday, 9/23

Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:07 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Cool Los Angeles Metropolitan Lounge opening next Monday, 9/23

A new Metropolitan Lounge is set to open at Los Angeles Union Station next Monday, 9/23. It will be a soft launch, with a grand opening planned for mid-October. Access will be granted to passengers in sleeping cars, Pacific Surfliner business class, and eligible AGR members (Select Plus, Select Executive, and day pass holders).

The lounge will be open from 5am to 10pm daily, and will feature the usual Metropolitan Lounge amenities (staffed ticket counter, refreshments, WiFi, conference room, TV, etc.). Direct boarding from the lounge to train will be available, but only via Red Cap motorized carts (due to Gold Line tracks crossing).

The lounge will be located on the 2nd floor of the station, above the ticket office, and can be accessed by elevator.

More info as I get it!

Best regards,

Anthony Rizos
Program Manager, Loyalty Marketing
Amtrak
Washington, D.C.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, United MileagePlus
This is fantastic news!
I'm glad to hear that Metropolitan Lounge will have WiFi and access to the lounge will be included in the cost of a ticket in Pacific Business Class.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

The WiFi is still being installed, so I can't promise it will be in full working order by Monday, but it sounds like it will be set for the grand opening. There will also be some rental furniture for a few weeks until the permanent furniture is delivered. As I continue to get more info, I'll share.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select '10,12,14; BW Platinum '13-; Hilton Silver '13,15; Hyatt Platinum '12-; SPG Pref+ '14-
Talking Welcomed with open arms!

Great news! A nice value add to the Surfliner Business Class offering (and a well-deserved nod from Amtrak to its many devoted West Coast customers).

Will the timetables and Amtrak.com be updated after the soft launch, or not until after the grand opening celebration? And whom should I bribe...I mean ask for an invite to said grand opening celebration?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

All good questions (well, except the last one ) Don't know yet, but it's all being worked on.

Anthony
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton (D)
Could Amtrak or a FT member post some interior photos when available. Thx.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:45 am

Programs: United 'Cattle Car', American, JetBlue Airways, Marriott Rewards 'Gold', Amtrak AGR 'Select'
what about TRAXX

Will that still be around>? Grrreat news on The Union Station Amtrak lounge. Need to check it out. Thanks. Joe G
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:15 pm

Traxx

Originally Posted by goriajk
Will that still be around>? Grrreat news on The Union Station Amtrak lounge. Need to check it out. Thanks. Joe G
Traxx is not going anywhere. It will still operate, just not as the Amtrak lounge for the Coast Starlight.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by goriajk
The Traxx restaurant and the separate Traxx bar/club/lounge will both stay at Union Station. The only change is that Amtrak won't be renting out the space for a few hours each day for use by first class passengers.

Not sure if the owners of Traxx plan to open the bar/club/lounge later in the afternoon now... or open up to the public during the mornings for passengers looking to grab an adult beverage before catching the Coast Starlight.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:47 am

Programs: Amtrak Select '10,12,14; BW Platinum '13-; Hilton Silver '13,15; Hyatt Platinum '12-; SPG Pref+ '14-
Cool LA Metropolitan Lounge pix!

Got a chance to visit the new Metropolitan Lounge a few hours ago. Perhaps because I was wowed by its cleanliness and the novelty of its presence, but it immediately ranks up there amongst the Amtrak premium lounges I've visited (Washington DC, New York, Chicago, New Orleans, and Portland).

The facility is bright and open, in stark contrast to the lounges at WAS, NYP, and CHI. It appears the windows would provide a nice view of the tracks and even from my viewpoint at the far side of the lounge, I could see several Gold Line trains pass by.

The lounge is smallish, though it has a darkened room in the rear which I'm guessing may become the conference room. As only I and one other passenger were using the lounge, the attendant was kind enough to provide us with a heads-up (including track information) when it was time to board our trains. We were asked if we needed Red Cap service, but also given the option to use the regular tunnel.

Snacks were plentiful and an automatic espresso machine sat ready to provide shots and other espresso-based drinks, including a setting for mochas (my choice) as well as the cryptically named "choco". :-) A couple rollaway igloos contained water, juice, and other beverages on ice, though I assume the igloos will be replaced by more permanent drink dispensers or refrigerators prior to grand opening.

The piped-in classical music was relaxing and certainly helped add a dignified flair to the lounge. The furniture was in good condition (see photo) though some of it might be the rental furniture scheduled to be replaced soon. The main TV screen was off, but based on its size and location, I got the impression that it will be used for showing TV programs and not as a display for departure times. I didn't immediately find the lounge's wifi network, though I did not really stay long enough to ask.

OK, this supposedly brief description seems to have grown into a full-fledged review, so I'll shut up and post a photo or two, which is probably what most folks would prefer to see.
:-)

Update: The image link feature didn't seem to work, so I posted the pix in a Facebook photo album. Take a look here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=b8cc60c020

Last edited by Alika; Sep 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm Reason: Pix don't seem to be posting. Trying to fix.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
Cool LAX Lounge

^ Sweet! Thanks for Posting!
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow this is really good news ^ The lack of lounge at LAX was definitely a large negative aspect about traveling from the station so this is a big improvement. Looks good too.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Smile Wonderful lounge

Am relaxing in Metro Lounge prior to boarding train to San Diego. Very relaxing environment. Nice furnishings and snack options include pastries, soft drinks, coffee, tea. Will never drive to fly to SAN again. Uber drove me to station. All in all good way to travel between Los Angeles and San Diego.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Am relaxing in Metro Lounge prior to boarding train to San Diego. Very relaxing environment. Nice furnishings and snack options include pastries, soft drinks, coffee, tea. Will never drive to fly to SAN again. Uber drove me to station. All in all good way to travel between Los Angeles and San Diego.
Ugh, I completely forgot to check this out while I was in L.A.!

I wasn't actually
at LAUS on any of my last trips (passed through a few times on the train heading north or south, but didn't get off), but I was in Downtown and had meant to stop by and check it out.

Next time!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: United 'Cattle Car', American, JetBlue Airways, Marriott Rewards 'Gold', Amtrak AGR 'Select'
I'm gonna check it out tomorrow

Originally Posted by jackal
Ugh, I completely forgot to check this out while I was in L.A.!

I wasn't actually
at LAUS on any of my last trips (passed through a few times on the train heading north or south, but didn't get off), but I was in Downtown and had meant to stop by and check it out.

Next time!
I'll try to see if i can add a couple of pics from my first visit to Amtrak's NEW LAUS Lounge on here Monday 01-27, Before I go on 'The Coast Starlight' All The Way To SEA (My first Amtrak Long Distance Experience) Joe G - near LAX

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.