Wiki Posts
Search

Has amsnag.net "gone away"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:21 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Has amsnag.net "gone away"

The website is still there, but no matter what I try to do, I get error messages. I've tried:

- two different computers
- two different operating systems (XP, Win7)
- 64-bit and 32-bit
- Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome
- different versions of the above.

All return an error message, that varies somewhat by combination.

Please, someone, tell me it's just me, and that it can be fixed.

Please!!!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's returning an internal error from a line of php code, but as far as things go on your end, your browser's able to connect to the site, submit a form of data, and retrieve the result all just fine (though that result is a error msg) so changing browsers, computers, etc., isn't going to change anything, as you've verified.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Site is down now
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:09 am

The site is alive and well as of 8/9 10:00 AM EST. Just was on it.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
The site has moved around every so often. Try this link:

http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:40 pm

Just used it myself before seeing this thread. I've found my phone browser (Safari) sometimes works when I'm having issues from the computer.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:53 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
The site has moved around every so often. Try this link:

http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php
Wow. That worked instantly.

Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wow. That worked instantly.

Thanks.
Or it did briefly.

I got a couple of screens queries completed. Not it has become flaky again, albeit with a whole different set of error messages.

Oh well... back to the manual grind I suppose.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Or it did briefly.

I got a couple of screens queries completed. Not it has become flaky again, albeit with a whole different set of error messages.

Oh well... back to the manual grind I suppose.
Doesn't work for me, either. Frustrating.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:51 am

fixed

I received a message from someone involved with Amsnag. They put the APP through a proxy server with non static IP to try to "Prevent Amtrak from blacklisting the site and apparently the proxy is malfunctioning. He has rerouted the APP temporarily.
I HOPE AMTRAK DID NOT TRY TO BLACKLIST HIS SITE.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by darben
I received a message from someone involved with Amsnag. They put the APP through a proxy server with non static IP to try to "Prevent Amtrak from blacklisting the site and apparently the proxy is malfunctioning. He has rerouted the APP temporarily.
I HOPE AMTRAK DID NOT TRY TO BLACKLIST HIS SITE.
What Amtrak should do is not "blacklist" Amsnag. They should pay Amsnag to allow Amtrak build in Amsnag's search capability into Amtrak.com.

Amtrak.com is the least capable booking sites of any travel company I deal with. The lack of a calendar search is just one failing. It's amazing that Amtrak then tries to block someone who is attempting to fill that need.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
The lack of a calendar search is just one failing. It's amazing that Amtrak then tries to block someone who is attempting to fill that need.
Calendar search will be one of the biggest improvements on the next Amtrak.com release, but there's no public estimate in terms of a time frame.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:53 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Seems to be working better today.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
What Amtrak should do is not "blacklist" Amsnag. They should pay Amsnag to allow Amtrak build in Amsnag's search capability into Amtrak.com.

Amtrak.com is the least capable booking sites of any travel company I deal with. The lack of a calendar search is just one failing. It's amazing that Amtrak then tries to block someone who is attempting to fill that need.
While I agree with you, I would bet that Amtrak's perspective is exactly the opposite: Amsnag should be paying Amtrak for access to the data (much as AwardWallet now needs to pay AA for access to AA's data), or at least pay for access to the information via a GDS (as ExpertFlyer does for airlines).

Remember, it's not in a loyalty program's best interest to have you use your points. They'd rather you spend a bunch of money to collect them and then either forget you have them or get so frustrated in being able to use them that you give up and let them expire (but not frustrated enough that you give up earning them).
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
While I agree with you, I would bet that Amtrak's perspective is exactly the opposite: Amsnag should be paying Amtrak for access to the data (much as AwardWallet now needs to pay AA for access to AA's data), or at least pay for access to the information via a GDS (as ExpertFlyer does for airlines).

Remember, it's not in a loyalty program's best interest to have you use your points. They'd rather you spend a bunch of money to collect them and then either forget you have them or get so frustrated in being able to use them that you give up and let them expire (but not frustrated enough that you give up earning them).
The problem with your premise is you associate AMSNAG with points use. Rather AMSNAG shows fares. We do not really need AMSNAG for awards as Amtrak has award availability if there is a room available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.