Wiki Posts
Search

Other Sources for AGR points

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Other Sources for AGR points

I was fortunate to have transferred most of my CO miles to AGR prior to discontinuation of the program. Are there any other current programs that provide a cost effective option to transfer to AGR? I have reviewed most of the airline programs and couldn't find anything. I often get AGR points for rental cars and a few hotel stays, but those don't provide much.

I had the credit card several years ago and am considering getting it again, but want to make sure I wait long enough that I will receive the bonus enrollment points. Since I now live in Columbus, OH, I don't get to travel on Amtrak very often.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Chase ultimate rewards and Starwood points both transfer to AGR at a 1:1 ratio.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:29 pm

Instead of getting the AGR credit card (particularly if you are concerned about being eligible for the bonus) it may make sense to get an Ultimate Rewards card (e.g. Sapphire Preferred) which will have a higher signup bonus. Currently I think it is 40K points. This card has an annual fee, unlike the AGR card, but it is usually waived for the first year. Some would argue that Amtrak is not the most valuable transfer partner of Ultimate Rewards, but if you're trying to rack up AGR points this may be your quickest route.

Other than credit cards, I have racked up a decent number of points through the Amtrak Points for Shopping portal, although I notice that they revamped it recently and some merchants have lower earning rates. If you have any significant personal or business purchases you can make through there, it's worth checking out.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
I pick up points here and there through the numerous promotions they have (Google Wallet was the most recent), though I'd say that getting a credit card like the CSP is extremely convenient and what I use for most of my Amtrak travel. The daily spending on it can quickly add up.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by LordByran
I pick up points here and there through the numerous promotions they have (Google Wallet was the most recent), though I'd say that getting a credit card like the CSP is extremely convenient and what I use for most of my Amtrak travel. The daily spending on it can quickly add up.
What is CSP?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: AGR, Alaska Air, CSP, IHG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by LibFlyer
What is CSP?
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I just signed up for Chase Saphire Preferred. 40k bonus points for first 3k spend, which will get me 2 roomettes or 1 BR for 2 zone one way trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.