FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   Recent "forced stopover rule" for AGR? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1478346-recent-forced-stopover-rule-agr.html)

3Cforme Jun 23, 2013 1:52 pm

jimhudson,

Please Fix that Annoying random Capitalization function on Whatever device You're using. It Occurs in Post after Post. ;)

jobtraklite Jun 23, 2013 2:42 pm

It would seem to me that it would be in Amtrak's best interest to NOT force the layover. After all, once A to B is booked, it becomes more difficult to sell B to C on the same train. Similarly, once B to C is booked after the forced layover, A to B on the same train becomes more difficult to sell.

That of course assumes that the passenger can stay in the same room, were the layover were not forced, i.e., that there isn't another rule that forces the passenger to switch rooms.

jobtraklite Jun 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by amamba (Post 20972517)
Well supposedly AGR agents are now saying that you can't combine paid travel with a reward ticket (switching at the zone boundary) on the same train.

Just to clarify, you aren't saying that I can't book an AGR ticket to a zone boundary and then call USA-RAIL to book a paid ticket from the boundary to my destination on the same train?

We are constantly told ARROW is untouchable because it is so old and that the slightest change to Amtrak.com capability is prohibitively expensive. I can't picture a system feature that could enforce a rule like this.

I was always under the impression that AGR couldn't touch paid tickets and vice versa. I may have missed a change allowing AGR to book paid tickets. In that case, what it sounds like you are saying is the they have gone back to the old system, not that you can't book the paid ticket by other means.

AlanB Jun 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jobtraklite (Post 20976158)
I was always under the impression that AGR couldn't touch paid tickets and vice versa. I may have missed a change allowing AGR to book paid tickets. In that case, what it sounds like you are saying is the they have gone back to the old system, not that you can't book the paid ticket by other means.

Back a few years ago when AGR agents were contracted out that was true. But when AGR agents were brought in house, that all changed. In fact, during really busy times at Amtrak's 800 number you could well find yourself talking to an AGR agent without even realizing it as calls will be routed to AGR agents who aren't busy with AGR reservations. AGR agents can do anything a regular Amtrak agent can do, plus of course book AGR reservations.

Regular Amtrak agents however still by & large cannot touch AGR reservations, except in cases were there are delays or extenuating circumstances.

crescent2 Jun 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Great point, jobtraklite. AFAIK, none of us on AU had thought of that, but it's true.

On another note, I must say that I'm very favorably impressed that AGR pays attention and considers questions and concerns expressed on an anonymous forum. I wonder if some other companies do the same? Let's hope we've all made some valid arguments in Amtrak's eyes.

darben Jun 30, 2013 7:29 am

Did op get a reply?

The OP STATED;
"crescent2
Recent "forced stopover rule" for AGR?
Is there a phantom "forced stopover rule" when redeeming two AGR awards for a trip?

There is nothing about such a restriction in the recently published guidelines, but posters on AU say they've been repeatedly told they cannot redeem two awards unless they force an overnight stopover between the awards and take the next day's train. This gains nothing for Amtrak that we can see, but greatly inconveniences the passenger, adding an unnecessary hotel night.

For example, say someone wants to travel from point A to B on one award, and from point B to C on another separate award. If he or she is willing to pay the points for each of the two awards, wouldn't that be allowed?

Thanks.

Btw, I have not personally experienced this, but if the "rule" exists, it would affect a tentative trip I'd like to take. One poster was able to book such a trip without any problem, but others on AU have been refused even when each award was for a published route. Quite a bit of confusion over there about this. Help, please! Again, thanks."

DID THE AGR rep ever reply to OP maybe by PM?

Armani Jun 30, 2013 7:51 am

I think many people may want to book coach for day trip to zone border, and sleeper from there. Couldn't you first call to book your sleeper portion, and then book the coach ticket on the website? I don't believe the system would be sophisticated enough to be able to 'notice' the separate bookings.

crescent2 Jul 6, 2013 3:01 pm

darben: I was not expecting an answer via PM and have not received one. Hopefully, we'll get an answer here in due time.

darben Jul 6, 2013 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by crescent2 (Post 21051268)
darben: I was not expecting an answer via PM and have not received one. Hopefully, we'll get an answer here in due time.

-via Pm ;)

AGR Insider Jul 6, 2013 8:58 pm

Update

I am still working on this issue and hope to have a substantive conclusion to post this coming week. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

crescent2 Jul 7, 2013 1:44 pm

Insider: Thanks, your help is also greatly appreciated!

nerd Jul 7, 2013 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by AGR Insider (Post 21052853)
I am still working on this issue and hope to have a substantive conclusion to post this coming week. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking into this.

In the meantime, is there some reason you won't 1) Confirm that this is not actually a rule, and 2) Advise us what we should do if we encounter an AGR agent who thinks it is?

NovaEngr Jul 7, 2013 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by nerd (Post 21056083)
Thanks for looking into this.

In the meantime, is there some reason you won't 1) Confirm that this is not actually a rule, and 2) Advise us what we should do if we encounter an AGR agent who thinks it is?

Umm, I think you are asking for AGR Insider to provide the final outcome now, not next week. Let's take him at his word (which has been golden) and wait until next week or whenever he is able to work this issue to a final resolution.

nerd Jul 7, 2013 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by PHLviaUS (Post 21057003)
Umm, I think you are asking for AGR Insider to provide the final outcome now, not next week. Let's take him at his word (which has been golden) and wait until next week or whenever he is able to work this issue to a final resolution.

Well... Either there is a new forced-stopover rule, or there isn't one.

That's an answer a company representative should be able to easily provide.

NovaEngr Jul 7, 2013 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by nerd (Post 21057148)
Well... Either there is a new forced-stopover rule, or there isn't one.

That's an answer a company representative should be able to easily provide.

AGR Insider is a representative of Amtrak Guest Rewards. AGR is part of Amtrak, but there are other departments at Amtrak that may be involved.

Bottom line is that if AGR Insider says he needs some time to work things out, given how helpful he has been here, I am more than willing to give him that time. This is not a life or death issue.