Wiki Posts
Search

No checked baggage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
No checked baggage

We are traveling from Austin to Ontario, CA next week in a family bedroom with a 2.5 year-old and a 6-month-old (and me, the mom, and their dad). Should be interesting!

We traveled to/from Chicago with our oldest boy when he was 3 months old in a bedroom, so we aren't completely newbies to this.

One thing I noticed when booking is that the itinerary indicated that there's no checked baggage on this route. Is that for everyone, including those in bedrooms?

As you can imagine, the amount that we will be toting will not be trivial. We can stuff it in the family bedroom if we need to, but it would be nicer to be able to hand it off at boarding if that's an option.

In addition to our luggage we'll have a stroller and a travel crib with us. When they say no checked baggage, does that mean they won't check these, either? Anyone know?

Also, if anyone has any tips for us, we would appreciate whatever insight you've got! Both boys travel well, and our oldest is a seasoned traveler, plus, like most kids his age he's a big fan of trains, so I think the boys will do fine. But the logistics of being on the road with two under three takes some careful planning.

This leg of our trip is just a couple of weeks, but immediately following it we'll be flying to Chicago for a month-long stay, then home a week, then Montreal for 3 weeks. phew!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Even though there may not be checked baggage service at AUS, the Superliners do have a luggage area as you board.

See https://www.google.com/search?q=amtr...A&ved=0CEQQsAQ

Check with the staff about getting assistance to board if needed. At least make sure the train crew know you will need time to board so they don't pull out only half loaded. I recall one post of a mother who boarded her child and then went back for luggage and the train pulled out after she stepped off!

Hope it's a fun trip for all.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Even though there may not be checked baggage service at AUS, the Superliners do have a luggage area as you board.
The issue is with the Ontario - it's a no-station drop-off point.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by nerd
The issue is with the Ontario - it's a no-station drop-off point.
Yes, ONA is a platform only without a shelter so all luggage handling is up to the passenger, so the only option is to carry-on your luggage. No access to the baggage car is available.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, ONA is a platform only without a shelter so all luggage handling is up to the passenger, so the only option is to carry-on your luggage. No access to the baggage car is available.
Makes sense.

How much time will we have to get us, the babies and our stuff off?

If they're on time, we're supposed to get in at 3:50 AM. So that'll be interesting!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swise
How much time will we have to get us, the babies and our stuff off?
You'll have plenty of time. You and all your luggage will already be on the lower level near the doors (that's where the family bedroom is), there will be an attendant there to assist, and the train's not going to leave with the doors open.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
I don't know if you'd want to consider this swise, but let me throw it out anyhow. Ontario is also near several stops on the Metrolink Commuter rail system. Metrolink runs to downtown LA. So if you don't mind taking a short trip after you arrive, you could in theory check a few things to Los Angeles. Then get off in Ontario with the kids and the rest of your stuff as planned. Then you or your husband could take a short trip on Metrolink to claim the other things later that day or the next.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Originally Posted by AlanB
I don't know if you'd want to consider this swise, but let me throw it out anyhow. Ontario is also near several stops on the Metrolink Commuter rail system. Metrolink runs to downtown LA. So if you don't mind taking a short trip after you arrive, you could in theory check a few things to Los Angeles. Then get off in Ontario with the kids and the rest of your stuff as planned. Then you or your husband could take a short trip on Metrolink to claim the other things later that day or the next.
Will Amtrak allow a bag to be checked to a station that is not the persons destination?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by darben
Will Amtrak allow a bag to be checked to a station that is not the persons destination?
It's going to come down to the employee working that day and their knowledge of the Amtrak system. If they understand what is happening, they'll probably allow it.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Then you or your husband could take a short trip on Metrolink
Note that this "short ride" is about an hour and fifteen minutes each way.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Or ride to LA, and check your baggage AUS-LA, and not have to get off the train until a slightly later hour, and then connect to Metrolink at LAUPT, er, LAUS and ride Metrolink to Ontario area. You would have to schlep your bags on Metrolink, but not on Amtrak. Having said that, there is storage space on the lower level of the Superliner, and you should have no problem storing your stuff there.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!

We'll plan to store our bags in the storage area. If we need to, we can keep some things on the upper kids bunk, as we won't be using it.

We have locks we could use to secure the bags to the storage rails so they don't walk off. I doubt they would, but it's one less thing to worry about.

We'll have two Briggs & Riley rolling duffels and a B&R rollaboard. Then there's the travel crib, stroller and two car seats. phew. You should see my packing list. epic.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, everyone!

We'll plan to store our bags in the storage area. If we need to, we can keep some things on the upper kids bunk, as we won't be using it.

We have locks we could use to secure the bags to the storage rails so they don't walk off. I doubt they would, but it's one less thing to worry about.

We'll have two Briggs & Riley rolling duffels and a B&R rollaboard. Then there's the travel crib, stroller and two car seats. phew. You should see my packing list. epic.
As Gallagher says: You don't have kids, kids have YOU!

The storage area is usually pretty secure. Being downstairs it's not like anyone passing through the car will see it (all through traffic is upstairs) and usually the only people there during stops are boarding or car occupants. One suggestion is to be up and ready to unload as soon as the doors open. If someone is meeting you, let them know your car position so maybe they can help with the kids or luggage.

Have a fun trip!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AGR WOH
In addition to our luggage we'll have a stroller and a travel crib with us. When they say no checked baggage, does that mean they won't check these, either? Anyone know?
"Checked baggage" means that there's someone at the station who handles bags. The on-train personnel always help with loading luggage and -- especially for sleeper car passengers. As long as you have everything in one place and ready to go both when boarding and alighting, there will be plenty of hands to help with the process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.