FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   Introducing our newest and most rewarding tier: Select Executive (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1411332-introducing-our-newest-most-rewarding-tier-select-executive.html)

nerd Dec 6, 2012 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by GreenHawkIA (Post 19808887)
Well, AlanB, just seemed like a waste of trees. I thought the train was the environmentally-friendly choice? ;)

It is. Which is why you need to chop down some trees to keep it overall carbon-neutral. ;)

NovaEngr Dec 6, 2012 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by AlanB (Post 19807277)
...Even if they sent you a card right now, it's valid dates would be March 1st through Feb 28, 2014. And therefore none of the benefits will be provided until March 1st.

Select Exec's first day of existence isn't until March 1st, 2013.

Per AGR Insider's initial post, Select Exec benefits begin on January 1, 2013.

AGR Insider Dec 6, 2012 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by PHLviaUS (Post 19809106)
Per AGR Insider's initial post, Select Exec benefits begin on January 1, 2013.

Maybe I can help clarify things - for 2013 only, those who hit the 20K TQP mark in 2012 will enjoy their new tier benefits as of 1/1/13. This means the 100% point bonus on Amtrak travel and the earned upgrades (every 3K TQPs) will both begin on 1/1/13 for those members. We wanted to keep the annual member welcome kit on the same March-Feb program year schedule, because that's when the S and S+ kits will go out, and future years will adhere to that schedule as well.

The 1/1/13 SE start date (instead of 3/1) is a special deal for the inaugural year for those who qualified in 2012. Since everyone who hit SE for the inaugural would have been S+ at some point in 2012, they already have a lounge access card good through 2/28/13, so there was no need to accelerate the production of the SE kits in advance of S and S+.

What this means is an SE member who travels 3K TQPs before March 1 would in fact receive an earned upgrade before their tier welcome coupons. More on this to come...

ColdRain&Snow Dec 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Chicago Metropolitan Lounge Employees

I'm pleased to be a member of the Select Executive freshman class, but I have a special request for the AGR management team.

As you roll out the new Select Executive program, I would respectfully ask that you formally train the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge agents about the meaning and benefits of SE. And while you're at it, it would also be sensible to do a remedial training on the meaning and benefits of S+ as well. Personal experience and other anecdotal evidence suggest that some ML agents neither understand AGR's benefits nor realize what Select Plus represents. It's a breathtaking lapse of training when ML agents are seemingly oblivious to the distinction that Amtrak gives to its very best customers. I've even heard of some S+ members being denied entry after agents deemed them to be inadmissible.

This is low hanging fruit that can be addressed before SE deploys. Every Metropolitan Lounge agent in Chicago should understand that S+ and SE members are among Amtrak's best customers, and should be treated with a modicum of appreciation when they check in at the lounge. A big part of that is simply knowing that these pax have every right to be there and should never be turned away.

Thanks in advance and see you out on the Rails...

AGR Insider Dec 11, 2012 7:51 am

Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow (Post 19833542)
As you roll out the new Select Executive program, I would respectfully ask that you formally train the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge agents about the meaning and benefits of SE. [...]

Two steps ahead of you :cool: ... Chicago is on our short list (along with the ClubAcela stations) for training this month.

As we move forward in the first several weeks of the year, we ask for everyone's patience as we get all of our agents (at both call centers and stations) on the same page with regard to our various benefits and procedures for the new tier. The AGR call center (1-800-307-5000, or the special # for SE members) is best equipped when it comes to all of the nuances of our program. We work closely with the supervisors at both call center locations to ensure they have the best information. We also accept private messages here on FlyerTalk if there is anything we as a management team at headquarters can do to inquire about or resolve a situation.

Thanks for your support!

BeantownFlyer Dec 11, 2012 8:45 am

Originally Posted by AlanB (Post 19807277)
While you've qualified for the new level GreenHawk, the actual program year doesn't start until March. At present Select Exec is not really a status yet; no Club Acela would even know what to do with such a card. You qualify for status based upon the calendar year. However, the actual status year runs from March until Feb of the next year. Even if they sent you a card right now, it's valid dates would be March 1st through Feb 28, 2014. And therefore none of the benefits will be provided until March 1st.

Select Exec's first day of existence isn't until March 1st, 2013.

Alan, this isn't correct under general practice. Once someone reaches a tier (whether it is Select, S+ or the new Select Executive) they would get the perks of that level for the remainder of the current year, as well as for the year that starts on March 1. So it would have been nice if Amtrak announced the new tier and made everyone who qualified Select Executive immediately - the January 1st date is not an acceleration, but a delay.

Since there is no current promotion, and I am not earning the 100% bonus I should as Select Exec. in December, it just means that I have no incentive to focus my travels on the rails right now....

AGR Insider Dec 11, 2012 8:57 am

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer (Post 19835647)
it just means that I have no incentive to focus my travels on the rails right now....

We always look forward to seeing you onboard our trains, even when a promotion is not running.

BeantownFlyer Dec 11, 2012 8:59 am

:):):):):):)

MrChu Dec 22, 2012 11:29 am

Just made Select Executive....looking forward to the new benefits especially the extra upgrade coupon every 3000 points!:)

miomi Dec 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Select Executive airport lounge access

Hi,
For SE, can we access only United lounges, or the lounges of the Star Alliance as well? I'm traveling in Europe and United's lounges are all Star Alliance there...
Thanks.

NovaEngr Dec 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by miomi (Post 19912201)
Hi,
For SE, can we access only United lounges, or the lounges of the Star Alliance as well? I'm traveling in Europe and United's lounges are all Star Alliance there...
Thanks.

Only United Clubs. Affiliated clubs like *A are not included.

Explore Dec 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak (Post 19755681)

Honestly, as an off-corridor S+ who rides mostly one-class coach trains or long-distance sleepers, I haven't even used my 4 upgrades this year. While I appreciate that AGR continues to exist as a driver of Acela revenue and that the new SE tier was needed especially that regard, many of us are still waiting for a more flexible suite of benefits that provide relevance outside of the Northeast (e.g. priority boarding at major stations, drink coupons, or other on-board recognition). If I wasn't also a UA 1K, and thus able to heavily utilize the UC benefit, I would not find S+ very rewarding beyond the 50% point bonus.

Thanks as always for considering our feedback in the course of making program changes. ^

+1