Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Just hit 60,000 points... help planning a coast-to-coast trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just hit 60,000 points... help planning a coast-to-coast trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by romlevy

Based on what I'm reading, right now to optimize around the scenery I'm leaning towards starting in Seattle, taking the Coast Starlight, then Zephyr, then Capitol Limited, and Northeast back to Boston...
but I'm still fairly undecided between Empire Builder, Zephyr, or even SW Chief (if I get the names right).

I will keep you posted!
Open-jaw award plane tickets can be great enablers of a good Amtrak scenery-focused experience. I would contemplate flying Boston-Seattle, Amtrak Seattle-Sacramento-Denver (or Seattle-Los Angeles-Kansas City), and flying xxx-Boston.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Hello,

We've just booked the trip, so I just wanted to provide an update, since you've all given me such great and detailed advice.
We actually incorporated our scenic train ride as part of a longer trip that includes travel in the Asia-Pacific region, starting in Boston.
And we went "open jaw" on the way back, landing in Vancouver. We'll then take a bus to Seattle, and then Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, and Lake Shore Limited.

I think it will be a nice relaxed way to recover from the jet lag and take a leisurely ride back to Boston. I will have to look at the train timing and figure out when the best views are scheduled.

I would have preferred the Capitol Limited for the view, but I'm not too excited about the last 8 hours in the Northeast Regional.. and think that by that time we will be eager to get home! We'll leave the Capitol Limited (and potentially the Empire Builder and others) for another time.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
If you can swap out the bus from Vancouver, try the Amtrak Cascades - it runs right along the Pacific. There are only a couple of departures per day, but it's spectacular (CBP boards the train at one point, obviously). It's also short and cheap, so I wouldn't hesitate paying out of pocket for it. It also runs on unique Talgo equipment.

The LSL is nice, and you're in the superior (IMHO) Viewliner equipment. With any luck, you'll get a Viewliner diner as well that runs on that route.

Regardless though, sounds like a ton of fun! One of these days I'm going to have to burn my miles and points frivolously like that, I've dreamed of it for quite a while.

Originally Posted by AlanB
... and many other reasons I'm sure.
I travel on the LSL periodically because of the intermediate stops. Flying into or out of South Bend, for instance, is a royal pain and costs way more than you'd think it should (I usually fly to London or LAX from NYC for less), or I can fly to Chicago and spend half a day taking a bus there, but the LSL delivers me right there without hassle. As I recall, Amtrak's own reports show that most people tend to be intermediate, and even most sleeper passengers are only from/to one terminus and don't reach the other.

Also, Amtrak's baggage policies are amazing, so if you have to bring a ton of stuff with you (moving to and from college, for instance) you can do it on Amtrak but not so easily on an airline. And similarly, for transporting certain things like wine and other liquids, or heavy/bulky items, or even things like pocket knives and lighters for boy scouts taking the SWC down to NM, Amtrak is superior to the airline policies.

Last edited by jec6613; Jan 12, 2013 at 12:58 am
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jec6613
If you can swap out the bus from Vancouver, try the Amtrak Cascades - it runs right along the Pacific. There are only a couple of departures per day, but it's spectacular (CBP boards the train at one point, obviously). It's also short and cheap, so I wouldn't hesitate paying out of pocket for it. It also runs on unique Talgo equipment.

Thanks for pointing it out! We'll definitely do that. I had run a search on the Amtrak website from Vancouver to Boston, and the only option that showed up was the bus, so I assumed there was no proper train... But when I search Vancouver to Seattle only, then I do see the Cascades. Looks like we'll have to take the evening one though, so we'll only get daylight on the first couple of hours of the route.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
(CBP boards the train at one point, obviously).
Actually the Canadian Border Patrol never boards the train at all. The train makes no stops from the US Border to Vancouver, so it runs sealed. Upon arrival at Vancouver the train pulls into a fenced off track and the gate behind it is closed and locked.

Then and only then are the doors of the train opened and passengers detrain, pick up any checked bags, and proceed into a special area of the station to clear Canadian customs and immigration.

Special note: The Business Class car is usually the first car to be discharged and therefore those pax are the first to be cleared by the CBSA. So buying a BC ticket tends to get one more or less to the head of the line and through customs faster.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by AlanB
Actually the Canadian Border Patrol never boards the train at all. The train makes no stops from the US Border to Vancouver, so it runs sealed. Upon arrival at Vancouver the train pulls into a fenced off track and the gate behind it is closed and locked.

Then and only then are the doors of the train opened and passengers detrain, pick up any checked bags, and proceed into a special area of the station to clear Canadian customs and immigration.

Special note: The Business Class car is usually the first car to be discharged and therefore those pax are the first to be cleared by the CBSA. So buying a BC ticket tends to get one more or less to the head of the line and through customs faster.
The poster is traveling from Vancouver to Seattle, and "CBP" stands for US Customs and Border Protection.

Southbound, CBP does board the train at Blaine for a secondary check.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
The poster is traveling from Vancouver to Seattle, and "CBP" stands for US Customs and Border Protection.

Southbound, CBP does board the train at Blaine for a secondary check.
Exactly. Right at the friendship gate, the track passes walking distance from the highway entrance so CBP comes along and boards it at that point.

It's way better than them boarding the LSL, let me tell you ... at least you're doing a border crossing this time!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:04 pm

Perhaps the best approach might be to fly initially to Los Angeles, and then take the Coast Starlight to San Francisco (Oakland), spending the night in SF and taking the CA Zephyr to Chicago and the Lake Shore on to Boston. Would this itinerary work with an AGR award? Even adding on paid coach tickets for the LAX-SFC day trip would be worthwhile, albeit meals would be extra.

In my view, these are the most objectively scenic routes in the country....the unparalleled 113 miles along the Pacific Ocean, and then the two scenic highlights of the Zephyr route, namely Sierra Nevada and Colorado mountains/canyons. As an aside, the Coast Starlight passes near the nation's newest national park, Pinnacles, between San Luis Obispo and Salinas.

The Empire Builder would be next, but it has long stretches of fairly dull Montana plains (brown and white in winter).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:32 am

I would stay on the Coastal Starlight as long as possible! The First Class lounge is amazing, as well as the scenery, but mostly the lounge makes the trip! Amtrak should run a first class observation car on every train if they could (I know that they probably can't, but I can dream, can't I?)
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Train McGhee
I would stay on the Coastal Starlight as long as possible! The First Class lounge is amazing, as well as the scenery, but mostly the lounge makes the trip! Amtrak should run a first class observation car on every train if they could (I know that they probably can't, but I can dream, can't I?)
Amtrak actually wants to, but doesn't have the equipment at the moment. They even took the sleepers off of 66/67 due to lack of equipment. That's what the Viewliner II order is set to do is get rid of the remaining heritage fleet, and add a few more Viewliners to supplement east coast service (and hopefully put sleeper/diner service back on 66/67).

With some LD trains approaching 100% cost recovery and the structure gauge getting better on the NEC, they're getting close to being able to add observation/lounge cars to the Cardinal and some other routes.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
I actually really liked the scenery on the LSL between ALB and BOS. It is pretty as it winds through the Berkshires.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
With some LD trains approaching 100% cost recovery
Wow. When did this news come out? I missed it. This is great news!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Wow. When did this news come out? I missed it. This is great news!
Buried in Amtrak's annual report, where else? They're pretty tight lipped (not being publically traded, they don't have to report every single detail), but you can find some information here and there - their analysis of underperforming LD routes, for instance, gives information, which can be extrapolated and matched to ridership figures. And, "Approaching," is still a relative term, basically meaning that they're not hemorrhaging money, but with ridership increasing and fare buckets going up and up because of it, it won't take forever before some LD routes may make money for the first time in the history of Amtrak.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Buried in Amtrak's annual report, where else? They're pretty tight lipped (not being publically traded, they don't have to report every single detail), but you can find some information here and there - their analysis of underperforming LD routes, for instance, gives information, which can be extrapolated and matched to ridership figures. And, "Approaching," is still a relative term, basically meaning that they're not hemorrhaging money, but with ridership increasing and fare buckets going up and up because of it, it won't take forever before some LD routes may make money for the first time in the history of Amtrak.
Interesting.

And they may not be publicly traded, but they are owned by We The People...I wonder if a few well-placed FOIA requests could get some further details.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jackal
I wonder if a few well-placed FOIA requests could get some further details.
Absolutely. It's not like info needs to be redacted to keep it out of the hands of competitors... Be sure to put a limit on the number of pages for which you're ready to pay copying charges, as well as a date range. You could find a USPS truck pulling up with cartons and cartons of materials for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.