Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Award policy changes re: cancellation and no on-board upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award policy changes re: cancellation and no on-board upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Methinks that was nerd's subtle point exactly.
Not sure why you quoted me in this response.

My initial point was that a reasonable cancellation fee was fine (I wasn't disagreeing with his post), but it should be waived for elites (as, in general, loyalty programs do things like that for their loyal customers).

His response (a month later?) was then that waiving fees for elites would necessitate the program being overhauled to capacity-control award space.

I was simply commenting that there is no reason waiving a cancellation fee for elites would force awards to be capacity controlled and that his post was a logical fallacy.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:37 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jackal
Not sure why you quoted me in this response.

My initial point was that a reasonable cancellation fee was fine (I wasn't disagreeing with his post), but it should be waived for elites (as, in general, loyalty programs do things like that for their loyal customers).

His response (a month later?) was then that waiving fees for elites would necessitate the program being overhauled to capacity-control award space.

I was simply commenting that there is no reason waiving a cancellation fee for elites would force awards to be capacity controlled and that his post was a logical fallacy.
I don't think he suggested that there would be a "necessity" for anything.

Rather I think it was a warning to be careful what you wish for. You suggested that cancellation fees "should be waived for elites (as, in general, loyalty programs do things like that for their loyal customers)."

But if you're going to suggest that AGR should be more like airline programs, then you shouldn't be surprised if award space became capacity controlled "as, in general, loyalty programs do".
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenHamer
I don't think he suggested that there would be a "necessity" for anything.

Rather I think it was a warning to be careful what you wish for. You suggested that cancellation fees "should be waived for elites (as, in general, loyalty programs do things like that for their loyal customers)."

But if you're going to suggest that AGR should be more like airline programs, then you shouldn't be surprised if award space became capacity controlled "as, in general, loyalty programs do".
Glad someone got it.
Old May 19, 2013, 11:17 pm

I posted out of anger, without thinking it through first. My apologies.

Last edited by amtrakdrone; May 20, 2013 at 2:12 pm Reason: should not have posted msg
Old May 20, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by amtrakdrone
If this even sees print, no doubt I'll be ejected from this forum. That's what usually happens when one speaks out against this kind of thing.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I'm not sure why you would make the statement you did above.

You may want to review the FlyerTalk Rules before assuming such things--I see nothing in your post that is in violation of these rules, so I cannot see any reason why your post would be deleted. FlyerTalk is not managed by Amtrak, so we have no vested interest in protecting management.

If you think that what you said is harsh, just go take a look at the United forum and read what several people are saying about that management team. I think you'll learn that FlyerTalk is quite tolerant of anti-management posts.

Originally Posted by amtrakdrone
I can tell you this: Amtrak's days are numbered. To say anymore at this point would put in jeopardy what IS being done to put this monster out of commission.
I'm not clear on what you mean by this. What monster is being put out of commission--are you saying you want Amtrak to disappear? Who would provide passenger rail service to millions of Americans?

Many of us have long known that Amtrak suffers from a pretty messed up corporate culture, although I believe I've heard that things have gotten better under Joe Boardman. But it would help if you could post some constructive ideas or, at the least, help us understand the reasoning behind your points--without having that, I have no reason to believe that it would be a positive thing for Amtrak to die and will continue to hope and assume Amtrak can be reformed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.